Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chapter 26

As the dean of the department announced her name, Jess walked proudly across the stage to accept her diplomas. Her family cheered and she waved. She glanced skyward with a tear and a thought, I did it, Grandma Ann. I got my degrees and certification just like Grandpa. I hope you're proud of me.

As she made her way back to her seat, her rival for Valedictorian sneered at her, "Too bad you let your GPA slip."

"Too bad you only earned one masters," she snarked back.

"At least, you're not still a stripper anymore, Jezebel." He tried to insult her.

She smirked at him, "But you are still a virgin, Vincent." She flippantly tossed her hair with one hand then slipped a business card out of her phone case. "Be a doll and give this to your uncle. I don't think the mafia hires virgins; it's against their deal with the Catholic Church and the devil."

"Biyatch."

"Thank you, that's the nicest thing you've said to me all semester." She smiled beautifully as the third in their class sat down.

Reaching over, Ted took the card. "Noice. Did Andrew propose yet?"

"Not yet," Jess answered, ignoring Vincent's grumbling. "You still have a chance."

Ted rolled his eyes as he chuckled, "Nope, that man's only got eyes for you, but thanks for getting me an interview with Hastings Industries. I start in two weeks and I already found a place."

"Congrats. I'm glad they hired you," Jess responded.

"Why didn't you want the job?"

"Because I got hired by you-know-who like I wanted," Jess murmured as she glanced at Vincent to make certain he was ignoring them while texting on his phone.

Ted grinned, "That's awesome. Will you be moving north?"

"Only for about six months, then I'll be heading back to Miami. Lots of you-know-what going on around there." She made herself sound happy to be starting the career she had always wanted but, her worry nagged her, because she hadn't told her family, and most importantly, Andrew. They chatted about their plans to celebrate their graduation until the end of the ceremony. Hugging Ted, she was certain she would see him again.

<<@>>

Lily was home from the mental hospital. Her medications made her as bland as a white room. Her body moved through the motions of caring for Ava or her flowers but often, she would just stare into space. Jess and Kitty glanced at each other as Lily stopped chopping tomatoes for pico de gallo.

Jess turned and stuck a glass under the icemaker, the noise startled Lily into moving again as Jess repeated the sentence she had said when she noticed Lily frozen.

"So, I'll be moving to Virginia for about six months to go through the academy then back to the Miami-Dade field office. I made it my only hiring demand that I work there or in Tampa and south. They only have one... One forensic accountant handling dozens of cases and he knew my grandfather. Half the time, they have to send their evidence up to the Organized Crime Unit Division in New York State."

Lily slid the tomatoes off the cutting board into a bowl then stirred them with the onions, chilies, and cilantro. "That's amazing."

Jess side-hugged her as she put the glass of ice cubes on the counter. "Yah, but I am gonna miss you and Ava, don't ya know?"

"I know." Lily leaned her head on her half-sister's shoulder. "I'm sorry. Sometimes I still think I see him."

Kitty straightened her spine. "Finding Marlana like that and then seeing him attacking someone else would give anyone PTSD... We never got closure. We never saw his body or went to his funeral. I know you feel." Kitty decided to admit something she had never told anyone. "I decided to move to Alaska because I thought I saw him a few times outside my apartment. I figured it was my guilt after leaving you alone in California."

Lily reached out and hugged Kitty with her other arm. "I'm glad you did. It made me realize how much I expected you to take care of things... You and Jess have always been there for me, always taken care of things after I was stupid... I love you and appreciate you both."

The three siblings held each other until there was a whistle from outside.

"Dinner's done!" Ian called out to them.

Picking up the salad and pico de gallo bowls, they hurried out into the backyard. Evie and Hillary were sitting under the shade tent next to the tiger lilies from the Inn. The flowers were blooming and thriving in the Florida warmth. Ava raised her head and tried to scoot around on the blanket. Ian was pulling the meat off the grill as Andrew pulled a clay crock of warmed tortillas and another of beans from the pizza oven. The family filled their plates with fajitas and drank non-alcoholic margaritas in celebration. They cheered and toasted Jess graduation and the news of her new job with the FBI, and celebrated double when Andrew asked her to marry him.

Lily smiled her best and tried to feel something because her family was together and happy but the numbness of the high doses of medication muted everything.

As the family celebration ended, she carried a bag of trash out to the fenced area at the front corner of the garage. She barely glanced at the red truck that drove by, but her mind shouted a warning, and she looked up to see Erik in profile looking toward her porch where Jess was hugging Aunt Evie. She blinked and the window seemed to turn more opaque. She started shaking as she leaned against the fence.

"He's dead... he's dead," she murmured repeatedly to herself until she stopped trembling. Turning, she went back through the gate to the backyard and began gathering the dishes.

"Lily... Come say bye to Jess and Kitty," Ian called out to her.

"Coming." She tried her best to sound cheerful. She was glad Kitty was staying with Jess tonight.

As soon as they left, she locked the doors then walked around checking all the windows and doors. Ian stopped her before she could start the third time.

"Lily? Babe? Did... Did you think you saw him again?"

Lily almost sobbed, but she tried to lie, "There were just too many people around us today."

Ian stared at her and then hugged her. "I believe you. I know the doctors have you on four kinds of medications for hallucinations, but I think it is the wrong treatment. You're dull and lifeless, but you're still seeing him. I don't think he is something you're imagining."

"You believe me?" Her relief was like the sudden shock of jumping into a pool after sunbathing.

"I do and so do Jess and Andrew. They... we... We have Conklin looking into whether he is really dead."

"Thank you, Ian, thank you." Lily clung to him. "I'm so afraid he'll kill someone again."

As he held her, he didn't tell her about the meeting Jess had with the CSI who handled the case before, or about the three similar murders since Christmas.

<<@>>

Jess left Kitty off at her apartment, then got into Andrew's car. She was excited for the surprise evening he promised and grinned excitedly as he pulled into the marina.

"We're spending the night on the boat?"

"Yes, I wanted tonight to be special," Andrew admitted as he parked in a gated lot.

"Well, I owe Ted a dollar," Jess grinned at him as she pulled her overnight bag out of the back. "I bet that you wouldn't make it the weekend before you put a ring on this. He said it would be before I left for Virginia." She held out her hand admiring the engagement ring.

He pulled her into his arms and dropped a kiss on her nose. "You're never wrong, are you?"

"Never bet against me. I don't lose unless I want to," she answered cheekily as she stepped away.

Shaking his head, he closed the trunk lid and walked with her. "Here is something you didn't expect. I want to go house hunting in Miami before you leave."

"Really?" She was surprised. "I thought you had a place already."

"I do, but it's a high rise, and spending so much time at Ian and Lily's made me want a yard."

"You just want an outdoor grill and pizza oven like you had built for Ian," Jess responded with a smirk.

"You know me too well."

"Just find a place that is close enough to work that we can avoid rush hour and I'll be happy with whatever. Oh, and new kitchen appliances, and... my pole. I need my pole."

"Anything you wish, my lady."

They walked in silence to the gangplank of his family's yacht, where he had lived for the last five months. The purser greeted them and took her bag as the lines were cast off. Jess went to the stern to watch as they moved out of the marina.

"You're always looking forward."

Smiling, she wrapped her arms around Andrew. "We have a lot to look forward too." Then a slight frown marred her brow.

"They'll find him before he hurts Lily." Andrew answered her unspoken worry.

"Three more... That monster has killed three more women because the police won't believe he isn't dead, and Lily is convinced she's crazy." Jess wanted to rant, but instead she looked up at the man she would never have imagined loving a year ago. "Thank you for believing me about it."

He nodded and murmured against her temple, "I would do anything or pay anything to keep our family safe... Ian says Lily thinks he is after you."

"She told me that too," Jess revealed as she inhaled slowly then tightened her grip around his waist. "Let him try. He won't escape me like he did Lily. If he comes after our family, I'm going to kill him."

"You've really thought about this a lot." Andrew scowled.

"You can't imagine how many times," she admitted. "I can't believe that his dad actually paid for someone else to die that looked like his son so the sick fuk could keep killing. What kind of person not only raises a serial killer but protects them?"

"I know... I mean I don't know. I don't understand. I'm just glad Lily looks so different now, but I am scared for you," Andrew admitted.

"I am too."

As the boat left the bay and headed out into the Gulf of Mexico, they held each other and watched the sun set before going below deck to change clothes. While the stars glittered above, they ate a late dessert course on the deck while watching fireworks from a cruise ship passing to the south. Music played and they danced. Andrew was just about to tell Jess how absolutely stunning she was again when the motors on the yacht started and the boat began to turn.

"Sir? Mr. Hastings." The purser rushed toward them, "Miss Johansen. We just got a message from the mainland. The captain is already turning the boat, we need to go back immediately."

"What happened?" Andrew demanded as Jess clutched his hand.

"It appears there was an explosion and fire at your apartment, ma'am. Your sister Kitty is in the hospital."

They stared at her in shock for a moment then hurried forward to the cockpit of the vessel.

The captain was listening as he steered the boat. "Yes, Mrs. Hastings, we'll be to shore in ninety minutes." He looked at them in concern as he hung up an old-fashioned telephone receiver. "The fire appears to have started in another apartment, everyone got out of the building with only minor smoke inhalation. Your sister bought the time for several other residents escape by using a fire extinguisher. She was the last out of the building and tripped down the stairs. She has a broken arm but is already out of surgery."

Jess inhaled and exhaled in relief as Andrew muttered, "Thank gawd."

"Did they say what caused the fire?" Jessica asked after a moment.

"No. Mrs. Hastings did not know, ma'am. She received a call from your aunt, then called the boat," the captain answered.

Jess gave him a droll look. "Please don't call me ma'am."

The elderly captain grinned at her. "Sorry, ma'am. I am glad your sister will be alright."

"Define alright because she is going to be really peeved about missing work and having her arm in a cast," Jess revealed with a grin.

Andrew looked down at her and her evening gown, sighing internally about what he was about to say, then he said it anyway. "Let's change clothes."

"Take your time, We are over an hour from shore, sir," the captain reminded then he turned to drive the boat and call the harbor master with the change in plans.

Back in their cabin, Jessica slipped out of her dress. Even though he was not facing her directly, he watched the glittery fabric sliding down her curves and lean muscles. She wasn't wearing underwear. He swallowed as he tried not to creep on her, but she knelt on the end of the bed and leaned toward him seductively.

"Like the captain said, we're an hour from shore and my sister is already out of surgery and doing fine." Her fingers began working on his buttons and belt as she caressed him, making him groan. Her lips brushed his as she whispered, "And I want to give you a proper wifey thank you for the lovely ring."

<<@>>

Lying with Jess in his arms after making love was Andrew's favorite thing in the world. He did not know how he would manage to not go insane for the six months she would be at the FBI Academy.

"What are you thinking about?" Jess murmured as her fingertips drew ticklish swirls in his chest hair.

He caught her hand and kissed her palm, admitting, "How much I am going to miss you and miss this."

She smiled at him beautifully. "I'll miss it too."

They stared at each other for a few moments then he sighed, "We should probably get showered and dressed. We'll be almost to port by now."

"I wonder if any of my stuff survived," Jess murmured as she crawled out of bed. "Oh my gawd! My bike!" She stared at him wide eyed. "It was in the parking garage."

"I'll get you a new one. Besides, you still have to teach me to ride," Andrew offered cavalierly, "I think His and Hers motorcycles is the perfect wedding present. Now where to go for our honeymoon before you leave?"

Jess smirked at him, "So we're getting married in the next two weeks?"

"Yes." His firm answer made her laugh.

"What happened to I'm rich, I can wait?" She teased as she shimmied into a pair of yoga pants.

He got up quickly and hugged her. "I never realized how poor and impatient I was until I kissed you in the elevator of the Tiger Lily Inn." Then he kissed her gently with all his love.

As they approached their mooring Jess became more worried about Kitty, no one had answered her text messages or calls. She and Andrew jogged back to his car and sped to the hospital. Glancing at her phone after the twentieth text message, Jess made herself put it in the console between the seats so she didn't throw it out the window.

"Why aren't they answering?"

"They may be in a place without coverage... The hospitals are designed to withstand hurricanes, that means extra thick walls," Andrew reminded but he was also worried.

He turned into the patient drop off area by the door, reaching up to flip the mirror angle as the bright lights from a truck behind his car blinded him. "Go on. I'll park."

She gave him a quick kiss then got out. He pulled away quickly with an annoyed glance at the red truck behind him. He turned into the parking garage and parked, then hurried into the hospital. Showing his ID to the security guard, he was led upstairs. His mother was in the surgery waiting room with Aunt Evie, Lily, and Ava. They all looked pale and stressed.

"Where's Ian?" Andrew asked, looking around as Aunt Evie demanded, "Where's Jessica?"

"I dropped her at the door then parked. She should have gotten here before me. She's not here yet?" Andrew looked around again. "Where's Ian?" Andrew asked again as he started to feel sick with dread. "What is going on?"

Hillary went out the door as she called, "Detective!"

"The man who killed Lily's roommate three years ago, he's back. He shot Ian when they were leaving their house to come to the hospital," Aunt Evie explained, as Lily clutched Ava to her chest and wept silently. "Did you see a red pickup truck?"

Andrew clenched his fists. "It was behind us when I dropped Jess at the door."

"Oh gawd, he took her," Lily gasped.

"She never entered the hospital," Hillary announced, coming back in. "This is Detective Javier."

"Erik has Jess," Lily blurted out raggedly. "That murderer took my sister."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro