25: How Rude

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"How rude! Yuriko, let's kick her out!" The referee demanded. But Yuriko's face was even more intimidating.

"What's wrong, Kumagusu? We're just bantering a little."

You began walking towards the exit, when a set of cold hands grasped one of your own perfectly polished ones.

It was Ririka, silent behind her mask. But she didn't need to speak for you to understand what she wanted.

Don't interfere. Wait until it's over. Stay with us.

You hesitated, but eventually allowed Ririka to lead you back to Midari. She was very strict on the rules. It was Midari's day, so you would spend it with Midari.

Midari held you close in her lap and kissed at your check and neck. But you couldn't get into it right now. You wanted to go defend Yuriko. And escape the intense scowl of Kaede Manyuda. You were probably going to get an earful when you went home with him.

"Of course." The referee, Kumagusu, acquiesced.

"It's a shame though, I was sure I would see two, four and ten. But it didn't work that way." Yumeko mentioned.

"Two, four, ten?" Yuriko asked.

"I love word games. In Japanese, the name Nishinotoin can be read '2410in'. Are you not superstitious?"

You could practically see Yuriko's lip twitch. She hated when people commented on her name. She was proud of it.

"Would you not play games with my name? Nishinotoin is a name stretching back to the earliest days of Japan."

You knew this story. In fact, your families were quite close and if you hadn't been so involved with Kaede as a child, you probably would have been friends with her as well.

"If you count them as even numbers, the six and eight in the middle are missing."

What is she even talking about? You thought angrily. How dare she insult my precious Yuriko like that?

"There's an empty space between them. An empty space just like the empty space in your head. That's hilarious! Right, Ryota?"

"I'd like to go home soon, I think." You mentioned out loud, prompting every council member to once again look at you.

"Would you knock it off?" Kumagusu snapped.

And then you heard a very weird noise. It was Yuriko laughing.

"Interesting. Just like what the student council president said, you really are interesting." She commented as if she wasn't phased at all, which moved to calm you down a little bit. But you knew she was upset. Angrily, you braided Midari's hair, trying to find something to do.

"When you compliment me, it makes me feel all tingly." Yumeko commented.

"Let's continue. How much will you bet?" Yuriko asked.

"All I have left. 40 chips." Yumeko bet big.

"You've got quite a bit of resolve, huh? Kumagusu?" Yuriko stood her ground. She wasn't easily shaken.

"So, Princess... Wanna come over to my house after school to play?" Midari asked confidently. No one every really asked you to come over to their house in front of the others. In fact, only Kaede had ever even asked you at all. You were disappointed that it had to be today that she asked. Any other day you would have said yes.

"I can't today, Midari. How about another day?" You redirected politely.

"C'mon! Pretty please Princess? I've got lots of games! I promise I won't cheat." Her lips brushed against yours, trying to persuade you.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro