3. Top Secret Leaked!

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Golu, I am again reminding you. I can't keep taking this tortoise for long. He will have to stay at home. Yesterday two boys almost peeped into my bag to find him. It's unsafe for him in school. Don't you let anyone know, got it?" Chutki tapped her foot on the ground in her school uniform. It was 6:21 am in the morning.

"Okay didi. I will not tell anyone about the dino-" Golu saw Chutki become furious and corrected, "the tortoise." He sighed.

"That is good. This top secret shouldn't be leaked to anyone." Chutki left as her mother called.

When Chutki was away at school, Golu was roaming around the house with his toys. There was Dadi, she was only interested in Sundarkand and devotion. One could find her in the temple room or reading Sundarkand or revolving around the Tulsi pot. Though she was liberal, she was very disciplined and strict about her routine. No animal should touch her belongings or she stopped using them. She should not be disturbed while reading Sundarkand and so on.

Dadi came out of the temple room, chanting her ram ram. It was her time to bathe. Already she had to bath from mother's bucket as hers was missing. It puzzled her since the last two days and she became moodier. She went into the verandah to find that tub that she separated from everyone. She wouldn't let anyone's unhygienic hands touch them. When she didn't find the bucket again, she went away grumbling.

Suddenly she heard a sound from the spare room. Out of curiosity, she went upto the room.

"Haye daiya! Ram ram! Golu's mummy come here! Oh my god! What is this trouble doing in my tub?"

"What happened maa ji? Oh my!" Mummy said as they both saw the happy tortoise waddling in the water.

"This sure must be Golu's antics!" Dadi said, almost fainting away.

"Golu! Come here." Mother exclaimed as he came to the hall. He silently peeped to see Mummy and Dadi in the tortoise's room.

"Golu, what is this?" Mummy asked sternly.

"Mummy, I didn't not do anything. I am saying the truth, listen to me." He rolled his matar eyes to no effect on Mummy.

"Golu, from where you got this tortoise?" Mummy tapped her foot with her hands on her side. Dadi already left the room in dismay.

"Mummy, that-"

"That?"

"That tortoise-"

"Yes, what with the tortoise?"

"Didi-"

"Did Chutki buy that tortoise?" Mummy fumed.

"No Mummy! Didi just caught-"

"Caught? Where?"

"By the lake. I told Didi to take this away because everyone will hate it. But didi was kind enough to keep that poor tortoise but she didn't know where to keep it! It is not my fault but please don't scold Didi." Golu said making his sad puppy eyes.

"You kids! Let Chutki come, I'm gonna teach you both a lesson!" Mummy said as she went away from the room, forgetting about the happy tortoise waddling in the water. Golu sighed as he looked at him. When mother went to the kitchen, she chuckled, "Tortoise? These brats haven't thought of a name for him."

"Name? Golu's mummy, do you not think to keep this trouble in our home! That troublesome creature is floating in my tub! Now how do I take a bath?" Dadi deadpaned.

"Don't worry maa ji, I have a spare bucket for you in case your tub gets spoiled." Mummy smiled as she ordered Golu to get that for Dadi. On this, Dadi's anger melted.

Chutki came back from school at 2 pm in the afternoon. Cautiously, she went upto the spare room to find the tortoise lazily floating on the water. It swayed its head while relaxing.

"Seems like he is enjoying today!" Chutki grinned. As she turned, she saw Mummy tapping her foot and Golu peeping his head behind her. Chutki's face turned white and became speechless.

"Chutki, who brought this tortoise?"

"... Mummy, that-"

"Yes, yes! Tell us, from where you got that trouble that too in my tub? Golu told everything." Dadi asked.

"Golu, you broke the promise!" Chutki sighed as she glared at Golu. He immediately hid behind the mother.

"Enough Chutki, I asked Golu about the tortoise. So, from where you found it?"

Chutki had her head down. How could Golu leak their top secret? She shouldn't have trusted him from the start!

"Mummy, you remember that day I went fishing. I didn't catch any fish, instead this tortoise got stuck onto the hook. Also, he was the one who followed me and said that I am his friend. So I kept him. Mummy, please let's keep this tortoise. He won't trouble any one and I will take care of him." Chutki pleaded. Mummy still had a stern face while Dadi grumbled.

"Please Mummy. He will not disturb anyone." Golu said from behind.

"I want a promise from both of you. If this tortoise will stay here, you will first complete your studies then play with him." Mummy said and both nodded. On this Dadi deadpanned that the tortoise 'trouble' was going to stay.

"Have you thought of a name for this tortoise? Only then it will stay here!" Mummy smiled and Dadi sighed and left. She wasn't interested in unholy creatures that make weird movements.

Both the children sparkled their eyes. Suddenly the tortoise swimmed with more energy. Chutki, Golu and Mummy observed the lively creature sparkling its matar like eyes.

"Let's name him Mattaru! His matar like eyes and his love for peas tell a lot." Chutki exclaimed.

"That is a good name, Didi." Golu said.

"Okay, so this is Mattaru. Now both of you should get to studies. Get him some peas in the evening." Mummy smiled and went out with the kids.

There was no end to their joy especially for Chutki as her dream of having a pet came true. She thought catching a tortoise instead of fish is embarrassing but Mattaru promised more than she dreamed of.

T/n~

Sundarkand: a religious book about Lord Rama

Haye daiya: a local indigenous exclaimation of alas/oh my

Matar: peas

~To be continued...

Your grateful author,
かな恵一

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro