031:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

*****122:

"Momma, where are my brothers?" Danny turned his coloring book over and scribbled in frustration on the back. Megan, watching him, slapped hers onto the back and scribbled hard as well.

"You tell me, Dan." Tracy said, her aisle seat swiveled to look at him. They had first class all to themselves this time, had to, Jake had informed Michael about the almost riot at O'Hare. In future, they would have to have their own plane. Michael would take care of it. She, Tracy was almost broke. Her dad was paying for this flight, and had gifted her with the house in Montana for Christmas, as she'd put all her free money into the studio and the ABC's.

"With God in heaven." He said.

Tracy pursed her lips. "Who told you that?"

"Daddy Raine did."

"Dan?" Tracy's breath caught. "Why are you saying that?"

He looked up at her and his fake smile melted her heart. She held out her arms and he came to her. Tracy picked him up and kissed him, tucking him under her chin and cuddling him close. "Danny, you aren't questioning that are you?" she felt his whole body negate it as he shook his head. "I wish Daddy Raine could talk to you, right now, but he's really not, is he?"

"He might want to." Danny said.

"Do you miss him?"

"I miss my brother." Danny said. "I can't remember what he sounds like."

Not looks... she thought, sounds. There were pictures of Steven all over all their homes. In every room, in every house, and in the lobby of ABCSC right as you walked in, the whole endeavor was dedicated to Steven's memory, a huge portrait attested to their willingness to never forget him. For awhile, they saw it every day.

"Are you pretending that Chris and Steve and Kelly are your brothers too?"

"They are my brothers." Danny said defensively.

"More like cousins... if anything."

"Chris said you were going to marry his dad and then we'd be brothers."

"I'm not going to marry his dad." She said gently, stroking his hair. Megan had been watching this exchange and now got down from her seat and toddled over to stand next to them, one hand entwined in her hair, the other popped the binky in and out of her mouth. Her eyes were solemn.

"Is he going to stay living with his dad and not with us?"

"Probably. For awhile. We might trade off every so often. Like you go stay with the boys on the weekends. After Christmas, we're going to go up to Montana and work on our new house."

"Chris and Steve and Kelly too?"

"They have a house there too, sweetheart."

"But not our house?"

"No, it's a different house."

"Is it a big house like ours?"

"Yes. A big house, very much like ours, and you can maybe see it from our house."

"Will we all live there?"

"Yep."

"Are we going to see Grandpa?"

"And Grandma Shanna."

"And Uncle James?"

"That's right."

"Are we having Christmas there? Do we get to ride horses? Do we get to pet the sheep? Do we get to play on the tractor?"

"I see you remember last summer." She laughed.

"I remember everything, Momma."

"I believe you do, Danny, I really believe you do."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro