Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Aniese had James's head in her lap, rubbing her thumb over his forehead as she sang an old lullaby their mother was partial to. Deep down, Aniese was more upset with herself than she was with Caspian or Peter, but her brother was barely breathing in her lap and digging within herself to correctly place that blame was not something she had time for.

Just as her self-guilt was beginning to settle, Caspian walked into the small area with Lucy behind him and Aniese's anger began to flare again. "Caspian, I can not speak with you right now." There was a small moment where Caspian wanted to be angry, but Lucy placed her hand on his arm and he took note of his friend's predicament. If he only glanced, James looked as if he wasn't breathing at all, and that was enough to make Caspian's own anger turn in on himself.

He tried to step closer, but it was as if he had no control of his body, he couldn't move. Feeling his eyes fill with tears, Caspian sniffed harshly to cease them and shook his head, "I'm so sorry. I never should have left him." Before anyone could say anything else, Caspian turned and left. Lucy, feeling it not her place to offer any condolences on the event, followed him out.

"It wasn't your fault, Caspian. I'm sure Aniese knows that." Lucy told the prince as he moved quickly through the How. Caspian shook his head again, "No, she knows it's my fault. She said it. We - I need some time to think, excuse me your majesty."

Lucy felt helpless as she watched Caspian walk away. It was much less difficult to ease tension when her siblings were the ones feeling angered, hurt, or betrayed. Needing some reassurance that she wasn't entirely useless, Lucy set off to find one of her siblings and see how they were faring with their newest loss in the way of the Narnian/Telmarine war.

At the Pevensie mural, Caspian was feeling even more helpless than Lucy was. At least she had her siblings to turn to, Caspian had someone to turn to, but he had more likely than not ruined that relationship with nearly getting James killed. He just stared at the picture and wondered what this experience would be like if he'd gotten the kings and queens he'd been told stories about. The strong and dependable adults that could always find a solution to a problem by working with each of their own skills.

Right then, it seemed to Caspian that their strongest skill was that of destroying things he'd developed.

Before Caspian could go into a fit of screaming and crying at the stone versions of his 'saviors', a gritty voice pushed him back into reality. "You so glad for that magic horn now? The kings and queens have failed us. Your army's half dead." The more Nikabrik talked, the more upset Caspian got, "What do you want, congratulations?" He snapped, done being everyone's scapegoat. Nikabrik had another reason for his goading though, and while in the back of his mind, Caspian knew that following him may not be a great idea, the thought of Miraz having killed his father made him bloodthirsty.

The arrival of the cloaked figures put Caspian on edge. His sword shook in his hand, but there was a power to them as well. A contagious, overwhelming power that almost knocked Caspian onto his backside. It pushed his unease away and shoved forward, urging him to pursue their plan, however sinister it may seem.

The bird-like figure began chanting in a language Caspian couldn't understand. He tried to make out the words, tried to decipher them, but all he could pick up on was the cold and lonely feeling they left him with.

It wasn't until the scepter that seemed to appear out of nowhere was jammed into the ground that Caspian was shaken slightly from his stupor. From the ground rose a wall of ice, and trapped on the inside was a woman. He knew this woman to be the white witch, but she had an eerie beauty to her that was hard to ignore.

Still unable to tear his eyes away from Jadis, Caspian took a step backwards, 'Wait, this, this isn't what I wanted." His hesitation meant nothing to the evil creatures awaiting his surrender to Jadis's charm. Caspian's wrist was captured along with his attention and there was nothing he could do but let it happen. Even as his palm got slit open, Caspian had his focus on Jadis. She was shifty and terrifying and everything he was witnessing was defying any and every science lesson he ever had with his professor.

Just as his fingers were about to touch hers, just as his curious thirst was about to be quenched, Caspian heard the voice that started all of his recent bad luck - or so he'd say if asked in the heat of the moment. "Stop!" Peter called, sword raised gloriously.

If at any moment looking back, Caspian were to be truly grateful for Peter's loud voice and need to command a room, it'd be then. All attention was drawn to the Pevensies at the entrance all with their respected weapons, and much to Caspian's relief, Aniese was amongst them, her sword glistening.

Immediately, a fight broke out along the room. Aniese quickly found herself by Caspian's side, "This was not a very smart decision you've made, Caspian." She scolded as she fought, and if Caspian didn't know any better, he'd say he detected a hint of playfulness in her voice, just a hint. "I seem to be on a roll today." He said, his focus split between the woman saving his life and woman actively trying to take it.

Peter fought as savagely as he could, but as he was not a savage man, that did not help much in the fight he was fighting. As if they'd been fighting together for years, Aniese and Peter met eyes and shared a look, a nod, and a breath before switching tasks.

Just in time, Peter slid beside Aniese and knocked Caspian, and his outstretched hand, to the ground. "Get away from him." Peter shouted. He had a bucketful of animosity towards the White Witch, and he'd be damned if he let her influence anyone else. But as he stood there, staring at Jadis, he seemed to fall under the same spell that had captured Caspian. It seemed as if the whole room had, the fighting having ceased to leave an eerie quiet.

Once again, Jadis pushed her hand through the ice, a knowing look being cast upon Peter, "You know you can't do this alone." Peter thought of Caspian and Aniese, both a side against him, and Susan, seemingly eager to join Caspian's side. How long before the rest of his siblings stood beside Caspian and got themselves killed?

Lowering his sword, Peter felt the tension begin to leave his body, he couldn't do it alone.

Before he could drop his sword altogether, the end of another was shoved through the ice. As it began to crack, Peter found himself still frozen, confused with what exactly was going on.

The ice shattered to reveal Edmund on the other side, sword raised. Caspian stood at Peter's side and Aniese by Caspian's. They all seemed to be feeling something different. Peter looked shocked, if not a bit upset. Caspian was relieved that someone had freed them all from the spell of Jadis, and Aniese was in absolute awe.

Edmund settled on Peter's gaze though, a brief moment of silence passing between the brothers before Edmund spoke up, "I know, you had it sorted." Having saved the day and defended himself, Edmund left the group, emotions clear, but still a bit misunderstood by Caspian and Aniese.

They turned to the entrance for more invaders, but only Susan was there, giving a stare of disappointment so deep, Aniese immediately remembered that in Narnia, they had all lived to be mature adults, the Pevensies.

Peter left with Lucy and Trumpkin then, leaving Aniese and Caspian alone amongst the chunks of ice and fur. "Caspian, what were you thinking?" Aniese asked, exasperated. She couldn't remember ever having been so tired.

"He killed my father." Caspian said, not able to look at Aniese yet. "Miraz killed my father. That's what held me up, and that is why we suffered the way we did. The dwarf, he told me he could guarantee me Miraz's death, that he had a power that could keep even Aslan at bay." Caspian sat on the stairs now, not even minding the cold of the ice seeping through his pants. "When I realized he meant the White Witch, it was too late."

Aniese sat beside Caspian and pulled him close. His father's death always hurt him, knowing it was Miraz who killed him had to hurt more than anything. She wouldn't know he was crying if she didn't feel his arms tighten around her and his tears soak through her shirt. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Caspian cried.

Smoothing his hair from his temple, Aniese took a deep breath, "You don't have to apologize, Caspian. You came back, and you brought my brother back. I know you tried your hardest. And if it makes you feel any better, James adores you even more now."

Caspian sniffled and looked at Aniese, "He's alright?" Aniese scoffed, "He's fine. Nothing that Lucy's healing cordial couldn't fix. Now you're Caspian, the man that got James his first battle scar. He's already started the song people will sing about his glorious first battle."

Laughing, Caspian wiped his tears and gave Aniese one more hard squeeze, "Thank you. I promise, I will do everything in my power to keep James safe the next battle. His life will come before mine." Aniese stood then, holding out a hand for Caspian, "Oh, I was entirely too nervous. He won't be going into battle for a long time."

"Still," Caspian said, face grave, "I never want to feel that way again, like our friendship has ended. You and James are the closest thing I have to family now." Taking a deep breath, Aniese nodded and placed a kiss to Caspian's forehead before leaving the room.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro