60 | Compassion, Grief & Human Emotions

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

Rehan

I glanced at the unopened box of cigarettes in  my hand. I had bought a packet in a moment of weakness while Anabia had been kidnapped, but for the sake of my daughters, I hadn't smoked. But I was tempted to now. Seeing Anabia in that state had made me realise what an a*****e I had been for pushing her away when she needed me the most.

We make such promises in love, but how many of us have the courage and strength to fulfil them?

I had promised her my lifetime support and I had let her down.

"Rehan?"

I turned to look over my shoulder and saw Anabia standing at the door leading to the patio deck.

"What are you doing?" She looked at the box in my hand.

"I'm trying not to allow a moment of weakness to lead me astray."

She walked out and took the box from me. "Why?"

"I don't even know why." I sighed, glancing back towards the house. "The twins?"

"Mum and Dad are spending some time with them." She held out the box towards me. "Take it. You are an adult man. You can make your own choices." She walked past me down the steps.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I just want to stroll around the garden for a bit." She replied. The garden was lit up by small lights.

I pocketed the box of cigarettes and followed her down the steps. She tilted her head back and stared up at the starry sky. The rain clouds had finally cleared away, and the night air was of a perfect temperature to enjoy a stroll outside.

"Hareem and I used to run around barefoot in the garden of the Jamshed family home when we were kids. It was usually after a barbeque, and so everyone was still hanging around in the garden." She spoke almost to herself. "Childhood felt so difficult, with the studies and having to sleep early and wake early for school, but when you grow up, you realise how easy those days really were. Mama had given us a very comfortable life, even though I can now see the struggles that she faced."

"Just out of curiosity," I walked over and placed my hands on her hips from behind. "What did Mama do? How did she manage the household on her own after your father left?" 

Anabia looked up at me, and the sadness in her eyes made me feel that I'd always taken my privileged lifestyle for granted. 

FLASHBACK

Anabia

"What do you mean you're not going on the school trip?" Hareem asked me, frowning. "We were looking forward to this for such a long time." 

"Ever since Papa left, Mama has been struggling a little. We can't afford the extra expenses." I explained.

We were eleven, and in year six, the last year of Primary School. To celebrate the last year, the school was taking us on a three day trip to Alton Towers, staying in the hotel in the resort itself. Due to this, the trip was a little costly, and Mama had openly said that she wouldn't be able to send us.

"I can ask Mamma if she can pay?" Hareem asked innocently.

I shook my head. "Mama won't agree." 

"That's not fair!" Hareem looked like she was almost in tears. "I'll speak to Mamma! You have to go, Ana! I've already paid for the trip! What am I going to do without you?" 

"No, Harry. It would hurt Mama more. She says we should earn everything." I shook my head. "It's fine. There will be plenty more trips to come."

Hareem bowed her head, pouting with disappointment as we sat on the bench in the playground. 

Life wasn't fair! 

"I want to go!" Saim shouted.

"Saim, I can't afford to send you!" Mama explained gently.

"BUT ALL MY FRIENDS ARE GOING!" Saim seemed annoyed. "Ask Papa to pay! Mama, please! Please! Please!" 

Mama had been working part time at a retail store, while Saim and I were in school, and on weekends, she was a part of the local library cleaning team. She used to leave us with Gul Aunty during the weekends. And if Hareem's family wasn't available, Mama used to take us along to the library where I sat reading books, and Saim used to play with his remote-control car or other toys that he took along. During December, she used to do a lot of overtime at the retail store, as it was busy for Christmas and the pay was doubled. During this time, I remember spending a lot of time with Hareem and her sisters, while Saim used to play football or video games with the not-yet-married Faiz Bhai.

"It's not fair!" Saim was in tears. "Why do we not have a father who gives us everything?!" He ran upstairs to his room and slammed the door shut.

I looked at Mama. "Why can't Papa pay for us?" 

"Your Papa isn't doing well financially either." Mama used to simply say.

I later realised, after overhearing a conversation of theirs, that she had been lying to me and Saim all along, protecting his image in front of us. He had clearly told her not to ask for financial help from him unless it was a, and I quote, 'life and death emergency'.

"Khadija, someone has thrown up in the bathroom. Go and clean it." The library manager ordered her.

It was one of the afternoons that Mama had brought us along, and as Mama had been hoovering the kids' area after the library had closed for the day, the manager had approached her.

It was the first time that I had realised how much Mama had to tolerate in order to provide for us. It was the first time I cried for my mother's state. She was young, but not educated enough, which meant that she wasn't getting jobs that paid well. And yet, she didn't complain. She knew that she had to do it for me and Saim; if she wouldn't, who would?

And it was also the day that, while leaving the library, Saim had attempted a high jump down the three front steps, and had ended up sprawled unconscious on the ground with a sprained foot and scrapped hands, elbows and knees. It was a Saturday, which meant that the accident and emergency department was overflowing, and we had remained in the hospital till two in the morning, just waiting to be seen. I had fallen asleep on the hard plastic chair, resting my head against Mama's arm, while Saim had cried himself to sleep, leaning against our mother's other side.

PRESENT

"Saim and I started applying for jobs as soon as we could." I said, as Rehan and I walked around the garden of the Tariq family home together. "Saim landed his first job in the evenings at a pizza place, during Sixth Form, but I didn't start working until university. By then, Mama had managed to find a stable job at a desi food shop, where she helped make samosas, dahi baday and other savouries. As Saim and I were old enough, she worked longer hours, and it was decent pay. Enough to manage the bills." 

"Your mother is a very strong woman, Ma Sha Allah."

"She always felt guilty when she had to say no to us about something. She says that she wished that she could have fulfilled all our small wishes, but it just hadn't been possible for her, and it made her feel incompetent." I paused. "She let us go on other trips, but for that we often had to give up on other small request for the whole month." I wrapped my arm around his waist and leaned against him. "That's how I want to raise my kids, with the values that Mama had taught us. Just because we can afford it doesn't mean that they have to have everything they ask for. They need to know how hard we work to earn money." 

"I know what you're saying, Anya, and I agree." He smiled. "But, unfortunately, it's not in my control anymore. The two have me wrapped around their little fingers, my little bosses." 

"Rehan..."

"Look, let's compromise. You are right. Not everything will be given to them, but I want to do as much as I can for them. I want to give them what they want, yet also teaching the importance of how hard it is to earn an honest living."

"Don't spoil them." I raised my finger in warning.

"You never complain when I spoil you." He grinned, leaning down to bite my fingertip. 

"When do you spoil me?" 

"You ungrateful mother-of-my-daughters." 

I laughed.

"Are you guys playing without me?!" Yasin's voice came from the patio door, making us both turn towards the house. 

"We wouldn't dare, Yas." Rehan wrapped an arm around me as he smiled at his brother. "I was just telling your Bhabi how you always lose at football." He chuckled as he saw the frown on his younger brother's face.

"I don't!" Yasin protested as he ran over to us. "Let's play a game and prove you wrong!"

"Right now?"

"Why? Are you afraid of Bhabi finding out the truth?" Yasin grinned. "I'm gonna go and get a football." He ran back inside before we could say another word.

"Great." Wearily, Rehan ran both hands through his hair.

"I support Yasin!" I giggled.

He grabbed me by the waist, making me stumble a little and I laughed harder. "How could you not support the father of your children?"

"I'm supporting their protective, beloved Chachu instead. I'm Team Yasin." The fresh air, the company of my husband and the peaceful atmosphere of the Tariq family home was making me feel relaxed and refreshed. Alhumdulillah for the blessings. 

Hareem

"I'm going to talk to Aunty and Faiz Bhai, but before that, I want to ask you, Hareem Jamshed. Would you like to move in with me tonight?" Emaad took my hand in his. 

I felt my eyes widen. 

But before I could answer, Emaad's gaze turned towards the house, and I turned my head to see my mother and brother walking towards us. Mamma looked uncertain, but Faiz Bhai looked almost furious.

"Is this meant to be a joke, Emaad?" Bhai asked. "First the Valima is postponed for six months- unreasonable amount of time, but we were still understanding. Then with bare minimum contact from your mother for months, she suddenly calls to call off the Valima, and instead suggested ending this marriage, and now you're here asking Hareem to move in with you tonight? What exactly does your family want? You think that just because we're from the bride's side, you can do whatever the hell you want?" 

"Faiz..." Mamma placed a calming hand on his arm.

"I'll move in with Emaad tonight." I announced my decision.

My mother and brother looked at me in surprise, whereas Emaad had an awed look on his face as he turned to me.

"I respect Aunty, even after everything. But now she is talking about unreasonably ending a marriage. We respected her decision, and she seems to be going in the opposite direction, rather than coming around. There's no point in me and Emaad postponing moving together anymore." I explained.

"Hareem..." Bhai frowned.

"You've always trusted me, Bhai. Trust me this time as well. I'm an adult, married. I've made this decision, and I really want you and Mamma to support me. Mamma is my mother, but you are a like a fatherly figure to me, so your blessing as important to me as any other parental blessing." 

Bhai's unimpressed gaze turned to Emaad. "I trust my sister, but if she gets hurt..." 

"She won't. I'll take great care of her, I promise. I'll do my best not to give her- or any of you- the chance to complain." Emaad reassured him.

"Fair enough, beta. But give us till the upcoming weekend, at least." Mamma spoke up. "I need to inform my other daughters as well, and since Rida and Rumaisa are here in London, I rather have them here too when we send Hareem off." 

"I respect that." Emaad placed a hand over his heart and nodded, before glancing at me. "We've waited four months. We can wait a few more days." 

I gave him a small smile. 

It was almost one at night, and I lay in bed staring blankly up at the ceiling. In one way or another, the actions of my father Jamshed Rehman was causing my whole family to be automatically suspicious towards Emaad.

I reached for my phone and messaged the one person who'd understand the situation.

<Hareem: Hey.>

To my surprise, she replied immediately.

<Anabia: Hey.>

<Hareem: Quick reply>

<Anabia: I'm inside here with Mum, having just changed the twins' nappies, while my husband and brother-in-law are playing outside, as Dad tries to tell them how cricket is a far superior sport.>

<Hareem: Isn't it one at night?>

<Anabia: Don't even ask. It's like the middle of the day here, Ma Sha Allah.>
<Anabia: Why are you up so late?>

<Hareem: Emaad suggested that we moved in together tonight, but my family asked to wait for the weekend so my sisters are made aware as well.>

<Anabia: Seriously?!>

<Hareem: But I think my family also faces trust issues due to our father's actions.>

<Anabia: I could write a book on that subject.>
<Anabia: It's understandable.>

<Hareem: Bhai is especially worried.>

<Anabia: I need to go. The twins are crying. It's bedtime. But keep me updated.>

<Hareem: Love to the twins. 😘>

<Anabia: The twins send their love back to Reem Khalla. 👶👶😘>

Feeling lighter after messaging Anabia, I lay back in bed, before I received a message in the family group.

<Rumi Appi: Is it true? Is the rukhsati soon?👰 In Sha Allah!>

<Rida Appi: Mamma said that Emaad Bhai suggested that they moved in together tonight, but Mamma asked to wait.>

<Rumi Appi: In Sha Allah, Hareem will soon be rewarded greatly for her patience.>

<Anaya Bhabi: In Sha Allah.>

I didn't reply. I was having mixed feelings. While I had made my decision, and I was excited about it...a nagging doubt ate away at me. Emaad was going against his mother. What if he started regretting it?

Saim

"I'm in love with you. You are so beautiful, exceptional." I stared up at the aircraft, a small smile on my face. 

"Marry it if you're so obsessed." Darren, my colleague teased.

"I'm already married, otherwise I would have." I replied.

When things got tough at home during my childhood, planes were my comfort. I used to often picture myself flying far away the problems, taking Mama and Anabia along with me. And I'd never betrayed this love. I'd been loyal to the point that Laila often joked that I'd taken 'work being husband's mistress' to a whole new level.

I headed up the side steps of the jetty and scanned my ID that opened the door right beside the aircraft door. Heading straight on board, I entered the empty cockpit, and flopped down onto the captain's seat. "Hey, beautiful. How are you feeling today?" I spoke softly to the beautiful mechanisms that controlled an aircraft.

"Papa, I want to buy that toy plane!"

I blinked as a random memory flashed through my mind. The image of me running through a Toys R Us store, pointing at a toy plane as Papa walked slowly after me suddenly smashed against the door in my mind which had managed to hold back painful memories since Papa's death.

I didn't want to grieve over the man, but my second love of my life (planes) was reminding me repeatedly off him. Zohaib Waleed was the reason I had fallen for planes. Long before the divorce, I always asked him for toy planes, and he always bought me models of aircrafts of different airlines from each airport that he visited/transited through.

A tear slid out of my eye and down my face as my eyes blurred. 

Anabia and I are fatherless.

Basically, we had been unofficially fatherless for a long time, but now it was official.

I felt like I couldn't even talk about it to anyone because I didn't want to be judged for grieving over a man like him. I didn't want Laila to judge me either, thinking that I was sympathising for him.

The truth was that I felt broken on the inside. I silently grieved Zohaib Waleed's death, but I couldn't even say it out loud.

When I stepped into our room that evening, I was surprised.

Long chestnut brown hair flowing down to her back, and wearing a blue maxi dress with a long-sleeved sequined torso, Laila was applying mascara.

"Assalam Alaikum." I spoke up after a few moments. "Are you going somewhere?" 

She turned, startled. "Walaikum Assalam. Yes... it's my cousin's Nikah. Remember?" She looked pointedly at me. "The whole reason you changed your shift time today?" 

I blinked as I remembered. "Oh! Right...yeah, of course." 

The light in her eyes dimmed a little. "Saim, I understand that you might not want to go because of Uncle's death, and I already told you that you don't have to. But you insisted." 

"And I will still go. Just give me a few minutes." I nodded.

She started to pull her hair up into a low bun, as she continued staring at me. "I don't want you to come forcefully. My family understands that there's been a death in the family..."

"There's no death in my family!" I snapped. "My immediate family consists of you, Mama and Anabia. Alhumdulillah, all of you are well."

"Saim..."

"If you don't want me to go, make it clear!" I was annoyed. "Don't use me as an excuse!" 

She looked a little stunned by my reaction. "I was just thinking about you, Saim." 

I walked over to the bed and sat down, placing my head in my hands. She sat down beside me a few seconds later and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Saim, are you okay?" 

"I don't want to grieve for him, Laila. He doesn't deserve it." 

She exhaled softly and squeezed my shoulder. "He may deserve it or not, I don't know. All I know is that you have a loving, caring heart, and you miss the father side of him that you had experienced in your life, albeit for a short period of time."

I smiled at her. "You always have the right words to say to make someone feel better, Lai."

"And you never have enough words to express your inner turmoil, Saim. You should be able to do it with me, at least."

"I tend to close myself off when I feel intense pain." 

Her eyes dampened and she placed a hand on my cheek. "Sharing with an understanding spouse eases the pain."

I wrapped my arms around her and buried my face in her shoulder. "I miss him." And as silent tears escaped my eyes, I poured out the burdens of my heart in the comfort of my wife's embrace.

Anabia

"Assalam Alaikum." The hijab-clad girl said softly, giving me a little smile.

The doorbell had rang at the Tariq family home and I'd answered it, as I was passing through the foyer anyway. 

"Walaikum Assalam." I replied in confusion.

"I...My name is Saba Tanveer. I study with Yasin. He invited a bunch of us here for a group session." The girl explained. Wearing a white maxi dress with mint-green flowers printed all over it, and a mint-green hijab to match, the girl seemed a little nervous as she stood there, a brown tote bag hanging on her shoulder.

"I am Anabia, Yasin's elder Bhabi." I stepped aside. "Please, come inside."

She stepped inside, looking around the large foyer. 

Rehan came out into the hallway, holding Hoor. "Anya, is it time for...?" He stopped as he saw Saba. 

Saba's eyes widened as she saw him and she stepped back with a small gasp. She looked at me almost helplessly. I gave her a reassuring smile, before looking at my husband. "This is Saba, a classmate of Yasin's." I looked at Saba. "Saba, this is my husband and Yasin's elder brother, Rehan."

"The girl who saved Yasin?" Rehan asked. "Assalam Alaikum. We cannot thank you enough for that. Mum is very eager to meet you, actually."

"W-Walaikum Assalam." Saba's gaze was dropped and she was hugging herself. 

"I'll be upstairs." Rehan looked at me, understanding her nervousness. "I'll send Yasin down." He moved forward to hand Hoor over to me.

As he headed upstairs, Saba finally relaxed a little. Her cheeks were pink and her eyes were wide with awe. I knew that feeling very, very well. "That was Rehan Tariq, right?" 

"Yes."

"I really like his books." She admitted, her cheeks turning a darker shade of pink.

My smile widened. "I don't blame you. Come on. Let's go inside." 

"Is this..." She cleared her throat. "Is this your daughter?" 

"Yes, this is Hooriya. She's a part of a set of twins. Her sister, Haya, is inside the living room with her Dado." I led the way into the living room, where Mum was holding Haya and was talking to her. "Mum, meet Saba, Yasin's classmate."

Mum's eyes visibly widened as she glanced at the hijabi girl. She stood up, holding Haya against her shoulder. 

"Assalam Alaikum, Aunty." Saba said, politely.

"Walaikum Assalam." Mum walked over. "I have been waiting to meet you, Saba. I cannot express how grateful I am to you for saving Yasin from those bullies."

"It was just an instinct, Aunty." Saba muttered, shyly.

That's when Yasin ran into the room, panting. "Saba! Oh Allah! I forgot to tell you that the group session was cancelled." He ran his hand through his hair and grinned almost sheepishly. "I'm so sorry. You came all the way out here and I..."

Saba's cheeks turned pink again. "I suppose I better go home then." 

"No! Absolutely not. Sit. I'll have tea or coffee made. What do you prefer?" Mum asked. "In fact, it's almost lunch time. Stay for lunch." 

Saba looked uncertain.

"It's okay, Saba." I added. "You, Mum and I can eat in here. The guys will eat in the dining room." 

"I don't want to inconvenience anyone..." Saba said, shyly.

"No inconvenience, my dear. It'll be a pleasure." Mum said. "I'll go make the arrangements." Mum handed Haya over to Yasin, before heading out of the room. 

I followed Mum out, ready to check on the arrangements with her, as Hoor slept in my arms.

Yasin

"I actually have news." Saba told me. She sat down gingerly on the armchair, as if she wasn't allowed to do so and was afraid of being caught.

"What is it?" I sat down on the two-seater sofa nearby.

"This is my last year of university." She announced. "I'm not continuing."

To say that my heart dropped down from my chest to the ground was an understatement. "W-What? Why?" 

"My father is really unwell. Although he wanted me to study and achieve success, his health doesn't allow him to put up a fight much against my mother, who's determined to get me married off. She's panicking because of Abbu's health." She explained.

"Oh, that's a shame. Marriage means responsibility, and responsibilities mean less time for art." I muttered almost to myself.

Saba burst out laughing. "That's how you see marriage?" 

I shrugged. "I would never know. I'm too naïve for anyone to want to marry me. Girls like strong, brave, tough and confident men."

"Girls like kind, compassionate, loving, caring and sweet men." She whispered. "Only a foolish person would reject such a person, Yasin." She didn't say it directly, but I had a feeling that she was complimenting me.

"Mum can talk to your mother!" I suggested. "My mother will convince her to let you study!" 

She shook her head. "It's okay, Yasin. I can't see Ammi stressed out anyway. How could I strive for my personal success by overlooking Ammi's stress and worries? If Allah wills, I can continue my studies later." 

"Who will you marry?" I asked.

But Mum came back in at that time. "Saba, my dear, why don't you come into the dining room? Us ladies can eat there." 

"Sure, Aunty." Saba stood up and followed my mother out of the room.

Meanwhile the cogs of my mind were spinning rapidly, as various thoughts clashed together. 

Long after Saba had left- being dropped home by our family driver- I was in my room, stroking the canvas with random colours, my mind miles away from art.

Why does the idea of never seeing Saba again hurt me so much?

Feeling thirsty, I put the paintbrush down and headed out of my room. Bhabi was coming out of her room as I came out into the hallway.  

"Where are the girls?" I asked her.

"They are spending some time with their Papa." She replied. "So now, I'm going to make myself a nice cup of coffee and settle in with a good book. Would you like a coffee?" 

"Sure."

Together, we walked downstairs and towards the kitchen.

"Saba is not going to continue her studies." I told her. "Her father is unwell, and her mother is encouraging her to get married." 

She looked surprised, but she didn't comment.

"I feel so bad. I don't want her to stop her studies." 

"What does she want?" 

"She doesn't want to continue her studies at the cost of her mother's mental peace, basically." I felt as if I was the one being stopped from studying further. Why am I so disappointed? "I was thinking if I can ask Mum to speak to her mother. Mum is really good at handling difficult situations, Ma Sha Allah." 

"You're really concerned for Saba, aren't you?" 

"She's my friend. I care about her." 

"I get that, but I don't know if Saba would want anyone to get involved in her personal family matters, Yasin. She's choosing to respect her mother's wishes."

"How did you feel?" I asked, softly. "When you chose to respect your mother's wishes, disregarding your own wishes?" 

A look of sadness fell across her face, and she turned away.

"I want to help her, Bhabi." I said. "I don't want her to give up her dreams!"

"If you feel so strongly, then speak to Mum, definitely. She would be able to offer you better advice, Yasin." 

"I hate the idea of never seeing her again." I admitted.

"Do you want to help her because you want her to achieve her life goals, or do you want to help her because you hate the idea of not seeing her again?" 

"Both. I want her to be happy in life, for her to get everything that she wishes for. But I also want to keep seeing her, meeting her and talking to her." I smiled merely at the thought of Saba. Her nose ring, her dimpled smile and her artistic talent.

Anabia Bhabi was staring at me with a thoughtful expression on her face, but she didn't say a word.

"I'll speak to Mum in the morning." I shrugged. I stood in silence until she handed me my mug of coffee, and then I headed out after thanking her.

Anabia

"You've been avoiding me. What are you up to, you cheeky girl?" Rehan caught up to me in the garden the next morning, where I'd been strolling on the cemented walking path with the twins in their pushchair.

"Me?" I feigned innocence, staring at him from behind my sunglasses...well, from behind his sunglasses.

"Why are you wearing my sunglasses?" 

"Because what's yours is mine." I grinned at him, continuing pushing my twins' pushchair down the path. It was a lovely spring day: blue skies, a gentle breeze and the sound of the leaves ruffling on nearby trees. "And I'm not avoiding you. I just thought that Hoor and Haya could do with a little fresh air." The truth is that my mind was thinking about things that I was a little hesitant to mention to my husband, i.e. Yasin's blatantly obvious feelings towards Saba. If Hareem was here, she would have definitely said that my mind was like a headquarter for romanticism. 

"You are seriously thinking about something. What is it?" He could read me like a book, no doubt.

"Only if you promise not to be mad?" 

"I promise that even if I am mad, I won't express it irrationally." He counter offered.

I sighed. "Well... I've been thinking that the older brother found his partner through literature...and it seems that the younger brother might have found his partner through art." I winced as I looked up at him, worried about his reaction.

"What?" He looked bewildered. "Who?! Yasin?!"

"Yes. Yasin." 

"Are you serious, Anya?! He's a kid!" 

"He's twenty-one, legally an adult...technically speaking." 

"Are you talking about Saba? They're both first-year university students, yaar." He walked beside me, crossing his arms across his chest.

"He likes her. I can tell." 

"Saim and Laila liked each other since secondary school, but they waited for the right time, right? Well, Yasin has to wait for the right time too. If we are talking marriage, then it's a big responsibility. It's not a good idea for two first-year students to even consider marriage when neither one has a job." 

"Her mother is encouraging her to get married and discontinue her studies, Rehan." 

"What will her mother think about the suggestion of getting her daughter married to an unemployed first-year student, Anya? What was your mother's criteria for a potential husband for you?" 

One who prays five times, well settled with a good job, responsible, mature...

"More importantly, in a long, long, long distant future, would you marry your student, not-yet-employed daughter to a student not-yet-employed boy?" 

I glanced down at Haya and Hoor, who were blissfully sleeping.

"I adore Yas. He's like my own kid, but he's just twenty-one. It's their age to study, not to get married." He added.

"I'm just worried that Saba is going to get married to someone else and Yasin will be heartbroken." 

"Why is your head always thinking of scenarios like that?" 

"This head of mine is basically how we met, so be grateful for that, Mr Rehan Tariq." 

He laughed, wrapping an arm around me. "There's no doubt about that."

I visited Hareem later that day, along with the twins. Rehan dropped us off, and was about to leave when Faiz Bhai came out to greet him, refusing to let him go without 'at least a cup of coffee and something to eat'.

"I'm working from home these days." Hareem's brother explained as he led us inside. "The kids are on Easter break, so I work from home to give Anaya some ease. The twins can be a handful...so good luck to the two of you."

"I think I'll do lots of overtime." I teasingly grinned at my husband.

"It's okay. I'll just turn the two against you." Rehan teased me right back.

In the living room, Hareem was sitting on the floor, playing dolls with Tamanna and Aizah. They looked up as we came in and Hareem jumped up. "Oh look! My newest dolls!" She glanced at the twins in their car seats.  "Assalam Alaikum, Rehan Bhai." Then Hareem directed her gaze towards me and frowned. "And you." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"You remember me?" 

Aizah and Tamanna rushed over. "Can we play with the twins, please?!" They both jumped up and down, squealing.

Rehan set the car seats down, smiling, and the two girls constantly gushed over Haya and Hoor.

After a cup of coffee, some snacks and a nice long chat with Faiz Bhai, Rehan left. He had to go with Dad somewhere that night, but he promised to have the family driver bring the car around in two hours to pick me and the girls up. Meanwhile, Gul Aunty and Anaya Bhabi were gushing over my daughters now. 

"So, is the rukhsati plan still on this weekend?" I asked Hareem as we took a quick stroll in the garden.

"Yeah. You better come with your whole family, including Khadija Aunty, Saim and Laila."

"Of course I'll let them all know, In Sha Allah."

"No! You better ensure that they all come!" Hareem warned me. "Mamma is going to call Khadija Aunty anyway, but still..."

I glanced away, not replying.

"Are things still cold between you and Khadija Aunty?" She guessed.

"On one hand, I'm at complete bliss with my in-laws, Alhumdulillah. And on the other hand, I feel almost nervous to talk to Mama. I know I was in the wrong, and that she has a right to be mad at me, but..." I looked at her. "I just find wish she could just run a hand over my head and hold onto me tightly."

"You know what I think?" She said. "Hear me out: Psychology with Hareem. I think she has put up a tough shell around her after everything that she has gone through. So although she's still soft and loving on the inside, it's hard for her to come out of the shell and display that inner softness. It would take some effort from us, and from her, for her to show those emotions."

"Wow. Emaad Bhai is having a real impact on you, huh?" 

"Ana, I have basically know Khadija Aunty forever. She's a sweetheart. Her sarcastic, strict nature is just a façade. You and Saim are her whole world, so naturally Haya and Hooriya will be her everything too. Just remember that she suffered the same pain to bring you into this world, that you went through with Hoor and Haya. So she deserves a little bit more patience than other people."

"I hate your wisdom."

"You're just jealous. You just wish that you were even half as wise." Hareem giggled. "So, as your unofficial, non-qualified psychiatrist, I order you to contact your mother and talk to her. If you can be emotional towards that father of yours, I'm sure you can find some compassion for your mother."

"Yeah, you're right." 

When we went back inside, I saw Farhaan curiously sitting beside Gul Aunty, who was holding Hoor. He was staring at the baby as if mesmerised, and was playing with her foot.

"She's so small." He whispered.

"So is Haya." Tamanna pointed out.

"Hooriya is cuter." Farhaan said. "No offence, Ana Phupho." 

"I am not offended, don't worry." Smiling, I ruffled his hair.

"They're both equally adorable, Ma Sha Allah." Hareem said. "What are you even saying, Faru?" 

"I don't know." Farhaan shrugged. "I just think that."

"Warn Rehan Bhai." Hareem nudged me in the side with her elbow as she whispered. 

I couldn't help laughing. But who was I to judge about age-gaps and unusual stories? Ours was an example. 

**SPECIAL BONUS SURPRISE FOR YOU ALL**

Rehan

While Anabia spent time with Hareem's family, I had to rush back home because I had to attend an event with Dad. It was some sort of an international event that welcome important people of Pakistani origin from both the UK and Pakistan. It was an organised charity event for the victims of the floods in Pakistan, and Dad and his family was naturally invited being the editor of one of the top newspapers of the UK.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen. We are all here in support of the victims of the flooding, and a hundred percent, if not more, of the donations from tonight will be given to the neediest people who suffered during these tragic floods." The host spoke into the microphone.

I sat beside Dad at a table near the front. The lights were dim in the large ballroom, with the only spotlight being on the stage. I was surprised to see the Faiz Jamshed had also joined us, even though I had met him just a while ago at his home, where he had been dressed all casually. Now dressed in a full three-piece suit with a tie, he sat beside his friends, a corner of his mouth lifted up in a half smile. I recognised his best friend Hamza Daniyal beside him, from Hareem's Nikah event.

"To start off, we would like to invite on stage a maestro in cardiology, progressing from a cardiovascular surgeon, to the Head of Cardiology at St Michael's Hospital, Dr Fawad Ali, who is one of the organisers of this event."

A tall man walked up to the stage, a warm but modest smile on his face and greeted everyone on the microphone. "Assalam Alaikum. It's heart-warming to see you all present to help out the people in need in our homeland. I've been here, raised my daughters here, but Pakistan is always right here." He placed a hand over his heart. "Our duas remain with the victims of the flooding, but we also have to do as much as we can from our part... To help me, my brothers-in-law, Dr Ahad Sheikh and Dr Arhaan Sheikh have joined us all the way from Lahore. Apart from this dinner, we will be organising a three-day funfair, which will contribute to this charitable purpose. Ahad, Arhaan, if you may." Two other men joined him on stage, a man with a beard, dressed in black shalwar kameez, and the other with salt-and-pepper hair, dressed in a Boss suit. "Again, we would like to thank you all for joining us on this event."

The three men stepped down from the stage and the host took the microphone again. "Thank you, Dr Fawad, Dr Ahad and Dr Arhaan." 

"You must recognise most of the people, if not all." I asked Dad.

He nodded. "Working in a newspaper makes you very knowledgeable, my boy." He nodded towards the three doctors. "Those are Dr Fawad Ali and his wife Jasmina Fawad." He glanced at the first doctor, the cardiology genius, and the woman besides him who stood with her arm through his. "Drs Ahad Sheikh and Arhaan Sheikh are the brothers-in-law of Dr Fawad. Their families have, like their own business empire in Lahore. Dr Ahad Sheikh is with his wife Zoya Ahad Sheikh, and Arhaan Sheikh is with Nazia Arhaan Sheikh. The Sheikhs are a powerful family in Lahore. Mrs Ahad Sheikh is also very well known for her charity." He glanced around the room. "You already know Faiz Jamshed and his wife Anaya Faiz, of course. Besides them are Hamza Daniyal, a well known photographer, and son of property magnate Daniyal Muneeb. Hamza is with his wife Hania, who just happens to be the daughter of Dr Fawad." Dad excused himself as he saw someone he knew, and as everyone started mingling, I wandered around the room, meeting and greeting people.

Faiz introduced me to Zain Iftikhar and Tara Zain. Tara was a good friend of Faiz's sister, Rumaisa. They were wonderful people, and it was lovely to chat to them. 

I began to feel that I should have brought Anabia along, but I had no idea people were going to be coupled up here. Dad also introduced me to a suave lawyer from Pakistan, Shehzad Arshad and his wife, Sobia Shehzad. Sobia's father was actually a British diplomat and was well known in our social circle. 

"And this young man is Hamdan Gillani. I know that you know him. His family's name was all over the news that I watch on daily basis, the powerful Gillanis." Dad told me, glancing towards the man with the longish brown hair. "He also especially came here for this charity event, and he is joined by his wife, Nayab Hamdan."

"The Gillani family, huh?" I asked Hamdan, smiling. "Not easy is it, being in a political empire?" 

He scoffed. "Tell me about it, bro. It's a pain in the backside."

"Your books are amazing, Mr Rehan." Mrs Hamdan told me with a smile. "My husband and I both read them."

"Absolutely. You have a true talent, Ma Sha Allah." Hamdan told me.

"Thank you so much." I nodded modestly, placing a hand over my heart.

"Is that Muraad Azeem?" Dad asked, glancing across the hall.

We all turned to look and, indeed, we saw the former all-rounder captain of the Pakistani cricket team, talking to Hamza Daniyal, standing with his wife Amara Muraad.

"I'm just going to have a word with him." Dad walked off towards the former cricketer.

I grinned. "It's his fanboy moment."

"Cricket is addiction." Hamdan shrugged. "It's in our blood."

"I'm more of a football guy." 

"You British-born people." Hamdan muttered shaking his head, but he was grinning.

"Is that your wife?" Mrs Hamdan asked me suddenly. 

Surprised, I turned around and saw Anabia entering the ballroom with Mum and Yasin. "Yeah, it is. Excuse me."

I walked towards my family, and as I got past the crowd, I saw the pushchair in front of Anabia, in which my twins happily lay. "What are you doing here?" My stunned question was directed at my wife.

"I thought she should be here." Mum said, simply. "So I made her hurry and change into something formal and come along."

Wearing a black maxi dress with long lace sleeves, and with her hair left loose, Anabia looked simple, yet gorgeous. Ma Sha Allah.

"This party is filled with famous people." Anabia glanced around wide-eyed.

"Including the beautiful Ana_B." I took my wife's hand. "Come on."

"The twins..." Anabia glanced down at the pushchair.

"We're here." Mum reassured her. "Go and socialise with Rehan."

Anya and I moved through the crowd, meeting and greeting people in the beautiful night of socialising. 

But most importantly, we all were united in that one cause. We were all from various places, various backgrounds, but we all stood together for those people suffering due to the flooding.

I added the special bonus scenes for making you all wait such a long time! I hope you guys enjoyed it. 

This chapter was a little disorganised and all over the place because I wrote it in bits and pieces within the last week. 

I thought it was important- and natural- to show Saim grieving for his father.

Will Khadija warm up to Anabia?

Thoughts and comments?

Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro