28: Ava's Cold Christmas Adventure

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Ava's POV

I don't know why Sara wanted to go on a camping trip during Christmas Break, but here I was going along with it. My heart was hurting for Giselle. She wasn't doing anything for the holiday. All Jaxon wanted to do was work and didn't want to think about Christmas which meant there would be no celebration at their house. Dad certainly wasn't going to visit and neither was their mom. And nobody was really sure what was going on with Liam. To say the least, it was going to be a lonely Christmas. And Sara would not let me bring Giselle with her no matter how much I pleaded. The only thing I could do was make the best of it.

"How are you doing?" asked Sara who was in front of me with her hike pack on her back.

"I'm doing fine." Didn't realize there would be all this snow.

Yes, the higher up we got, the more snow there was. Thankfully, I did dress for the occasion, but crap I didn't think Sara was all that serious when she told me what to wear. With strong boots, my feet were able to take a step at a time and get through the snow. After about a couple hours we had finally reached the top. The surface was smooth and the scenery was admittingly beautiful. White was everywhere. Never had I seen this much white before. I must have taken a nap when we reached the top, because the next thing I knew, the tent was already set up. Just as she said, we would only need one tent.

"You feeling rested?" she asked over the crackling fire that was between us.

"Yeah, who knew a hike could be so tiring?"

I was grateful for the fire. At certain points during the hike, I felt like the freezing temperature would be the death of me. But with this nice and relaxing fire, my feet were slowly cooling with my hands being able to move again. A complete silence surrounded us in the moonlight. Not a soul to be found except us. Things were a little awkward for a bit as we made s' mores. Not a word was said unless you count smiling at each other as talking.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Imagine Dragon had a show out here?" asked Sara trying to break the awkward silence.

"I guess that would be pretty cool. And Taylor Swift could headline."

She laughed. "Big fan of Taylor Swift?"

"I mean I guess I am a little. I used to sing along to that one song 'You Belong With Me' every time it was on the radio."

She immediately zoomed into her tent and came back out with her ukulele which made me wonder how she was able to fit it in her hiking pack. She found herself sitting right next to me.

"You sing and I'll play along. I've been getting pretty good at playing."

My face started blushing. "Crap, I can't sing. I'll just listen to you play."

"Don't be shy dude. We were all singing in the car after the concert. I heard your voice. You were amazing."

"But I'm not really much of singer."

"You just told me you sang along to Taylor Swift in the car. Come on, just humor me. Stop doubting yourself and just sing."

Why was she forcing me to do this? But I guess if there was nobody else around, I could sing one song. Nobody was around to hear the tree fall in the forest. Within a second, Sara began playing. Not going to lie, she was almost like an expert. Crap, she was an expert. Before I knew it, I found myself singing with my eyes closed.

"You're on the phone with your girlfriend

She's upset

She's going off about something that you said,"

Sara's head began moving in approval with a large smile gleaming over her face.

"Cause she doesn't get your humor like I do."

I continued to sing the next few words in the song. Before I knew it, Sara joined in and sang with me as she continued to play her instrument.

"But she wears short skirts

I wear T-shirts.

She's cheer captain.

And I'm on the bleachers."

Crap, she had an amazing voice. My eyes suddenly found themselves open. There was no need to close them. Something inside of me said to keep going as we kept singing as a duo.

"Dreaming about the day when you wake up

and find that what you're looking for has been here the whole time."

As we continued to sing, I drummed my hands against my legs. We were sounding more like an acapella duo with each passing second. At one point, I just stop singing and let Sara finish the song. Once the song ended, we both laughed.

How'd that feel?" she asked putting the instrument down.

"It felt amazing. Honestly, I felt free."

"That's what singing does." She quickly poked my shoulder "It frees the soul."

The night went on as we found ourselves sleeping in our tents. Although, I had trouble sleeping that night. Sara was out like a baby. My body just laid there unsure about everything. Never had I been used to all this quietness before. The only sounds were crickets chirping. Where would I be after graduation? Heck, where would I be in ten years? Would I ever see Giselle again after we graduated? It felt like we had grown apart in the past month or so. She was always with Ricky. But now she wasn't. She needed a friend to help her at her side. Is this what love does? Was love supposed to separate you from your friends? I never wanted to be separated from Giselle. Maybe I didn't have a choice. Did I ever really get to choose my decisions in life?

"Wake up sleepy head" demanded Sara as it appeared I had actually fallen asleep.

"How long was I out?" I asked in deep grogginess. Did I seriously fall asleep?

"Several hours I guess. It's almost four in the afternoon."

It was hard to have a reaction. I guess I didn't care. I honestly could've slept for the next twelve hours. This cold was doing things to my body. Thankfully we found ourselves asleep again by eight that night. Thankfully I wasn't having any of my deep thoughts. We woke up around nine that morning.

"Merry Christmas," wished Sara. "I actually got you a gift.

I felt super guilty that I didn't get her a gift, but here she was with a small box full of red wrapping paper. Taking it from her hands, I unwrapped it. Crap! It was a red stylish digital camera. What the hell? Who does that?

"I don't know what to say?" I could barely get out the words. "I didn't even get you anything."

"You being here on this trip with me is a gift enough. But now you have a new camera to take amazing pictures for your blog."

As the day went by, I took a lot of beautiful pictures. I even got a couple of pictures of Sara laying in the snow. With the passing days, we mostly laid in the tent and didn't do a whole lot. Mostly just talk about random stuff. The day before the trip ended, we actually decided to make a snowman. Neither of us had actually made a snowman before. But there we were, trying to roll up a big snowball for our snowman. I found myself tripping trying to roll it over. Sara also managed to fall a couple of times. After about an hour, we had finally made our snowman.

"What do we call him?" I asked.

"McFrosty," she joked.

The dreaded day was here. It was the day we were to hike down. Such misery. At least we didn't have use all our muscles to hike up. Hiking down is a bit easier. Sadly for Sara, her back had to hold on to her hike pack. There were a couple times where she actually needed a break. The breaks seemed to be getting longer each time. Eventually, we finally got to the bottom. My hands were excited to open the door to the car until I heard a noise.

"Shit!" yelled Sara as she tried to put her pack in the trunk. "Damn it and crap!" Within a hot second, she collapsed to the floor. I immediately rushed over to her.

"Oh crap! Are you OK Sara?" My heart was pounding as I kneeled down.

"I can't move! Damn it! I can't move!" Tears were rolling down her eyes. She was seconds away from crying like a baby.

With my heart pounding faster, I wanted to cry myself. She was screaming beyond belief. Would CPR help? I didn't even know how to perform CPR. After a couple of minutes, I calmed down and pulled out my phone to dial 911.

"911! Crap we need help!" With all the panic and excitement, I don't remember what I said beyond that.

A helicopter made its way towards us within an hour. Before I knew it, we found ourselves at the hospital. At the end of it all, I found out that Sara basically broke her feet or something and was going to need physical therapy.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to comment, vote, and share.

Next Chapter: It's the new year and Liam, Giselle, and Ava catch up.

Does Ava and Sara's Trip sound like something you'd do?

Should Ava pursue singing?

Thoughts on Sara breaking her foot?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro