31. Revisiting A Nightmare

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

We reach a river and it's physically impossible to continue moving forward so I stop and breathe. Really breathe. The satisfying inhalation softens every tightly wired muscle.

"My hand has gone numb," Grey says quietly.

I glance down at our interlocked hands, release my grip and massage my stiff fingers.

Grey leans on the railing, eyes focussed on the flowing river. "I'm still in shock that you pulled that off."

"I told you I'm a good liar. It's not really a skill to be proud of but I guess if I didn't have it, I would be hanging from a platform like the other Unmarkeds." My gaze follows his across the wide river, further along, is a large bridge with curved cables, one I've seen before and a flood of bad memories surface.

My stomach sinks as I take in the sprawl of warehouses on the other side of the river. I glance over my shoulder at the lowering sun, bathing the city's skyline in a faint orange glow. A large glass dome sparkles. It's the largest Reflection Centre built and this city's main attraction. Out of every city we could have been taken to, why did it have to be this one?

"Cady, are you ok?" Grey words sound distant but I feel the pressure of his hands on my shoulders squeezing hard. Get a grip. Now is not the time to drown in my past.

"Which Reflection Centre are we going to?" I force the words out, offering Grey the piece of paper.

Grey stares at me with a look of concern. I smile; it takes all my energy to muster the slight curve of my lips. I know it's not convincing. I'm tired and it's harder to wear a mask when fatigue sets in.

Grey takes the paper and unfolds it. "Central Square."

"I know where it is. In fact, you can see it from here. The building with the glass dome." I point at the curved roof glinting like a sharp knife. To most, it's beautiful and enchanting but to me, it's ominous and threatening.

Grey doesn't ask me to explain how I know this city or the Reflection Centre. I'm thankful. He knows I've moved around so he's probably figured out I lived here at some point. Hopefully, that's enough. I don't want him to know anything more about what happened here, about my connection to this city which I have been trying to forget for the last six months.

Manoeuvring through the streets, I pass businesses I used to deliver to. It's a big city so it's unlikely I'll see anyone I know yet I can't stop myself from tilting my head down, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone. I wasn't even known as Cady here, for some reason I'd tried another name. The use of that name was short-lived like our stay here. I'll never use that name again but then I said I'd never return to this city again and look where I am.

The material of my clothes sticks to my skin. It's not caused by the hot humid air, it's the exertion of the weight of this city and its associated memories pressing down on my shoulders. I'm close to collapsing. Every step is a hardship, my legs simultaneously soft and stiff, a bizarre contrast which makes it difficult to walk.

Grey's hand wraps around my wrist stopping me. Our eyes meet and he smiles reassuringly. "We don't have to go. We can run if you want."

I do want to run but where too? To my mother who is at fault for our difficult way of life? Back to Lars who will sell me to the highest bidder? We have no money, no connections. We have nothing. "Not now, but will you promise me something?"

"Depends on what you want me to promise."

"When everything gets too crazy, promise you'll run and save yourself."

"We'll run and save ourselves." Grey tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

I look at his cuffs covering the marks on his wrists. I want to remove the material, caress his scars and heal them. It's impossible.

"You shouldn't come to the Reflection Centre," I say.

"Why?" Grey's brow furrows.

"The centre is located in front of the State's Headquarters. There are Officials everywhere. It's too risky for you," I whisper.

There is also a hanging platform, the largest one in the country. More death as a warning, in case your visit to the Reflection Centre doesn't have you fully believing in the State's moral ethics. The mass of hanging human carcasses act as an added incentive to ensure you comply with the rules.

"I'm sure it's as risky for you as it is for me." Grey rests his hand under my chin angling my face upwards so I'm looking at him. "Don't worry about me. I can be a good liar too."

"Your lie about being a good liar isn't even convincing," I say flatly. I chuckle at his mock insulted expression and sigh. "Fine, we'll go together."

This is a first. I've never put my life or trust in anyone other than my mum. Walking beside Grey, I ignore the part of me that believes I'm going to regret this decision.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro