8. Internship

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Verona was visiting the hospital where she was meant to do her internship that was part of one of the benefits of attending her school. Attending this school had its advantages. She could conduct medical research as an intern, complete a hospital project and also observe how different professionals worked at the hospital before she made her college choices. It was worth attending Ottavio's school. It was definitely worth it. However she preferred attending the Irish campus since she was sure she was not going to get any advantages there. So she had used her right to choose her hospital to pick an Irish owned hospital quite far from the campus that the students from the Irish school mostly chose. This way she was sure she could get away from influence of Ottavio and having a normal experience. Life was looking up.

As she was looking around the massive hospital with a map in one hand and induction pack in the other, she heard a voice calling her name.

Verona stopped walking looked up "Stanley?"

Stanley was standing in front of her. "Small world. Isn't it?"

Verona said "Yes... It is... So... Your internship placement is here too?"

Stanley shook her head "No... I haven't made my choice yet for my internship placement... Still deciding... I came here looking around for reasons irrelevant to school work... I was looking for someone..."

Verona said "Oh... Have you found them yet?"

Stanley said "Yes... You..."

Verona said "Huh? You came here looking for me?"

Stanley said "Yes... I am glad I found you... This place is so far out no one chose it... So it was easy to locate you when I asked reception which direction the new intern was heading... We need to talk..."

Verona said "Ok... Sure..." She looked in the direction of the cafeteria in the hospital that was nearby. "Let's talk over coffee... I need a drink..."

Stanley said "Good idea... You sit down. I will get us coffee..."

Verona chose to sit in a secluded spot as he was watching Stanley carrying two cups of coffee towards the table. She had no idea why Stanley was there to see her. She was curious.

Stanley put the coffee cups on the table and sat down opposite her "So... You maybe wondering why I wanted to see you... The decision to speak to you and as you for help was not an easy one... I am running out of options. My only hope is you..."

Verona raised an eyebrow "You need my help? I did not expect to hear that... What can I do for you?"

Stanley took a deep breath "You need to speak to someone you know and convince them of something... Its about my girl... I need to see my girl again... You are my only hope ..."

Verona said "Oh... I would do what I can to help you... But who do you want me to speak to?"

Stanley said "I expect you to say no.... But I wouldn't ask if I had other options..."

Verona said "Why would I say no? If I can help you I will..."

Stanley sighed "Ok... Here it goes... I need you to talk to Arlinda MacLeod..."

Verona shook her head "That woman? Stanley... Do you know who she is? Do you know what she is capable of? You cant get mixed up with any business to do with her and expect a happy ending... I give you advice. If that woman enters your life, run... I will do anything but this... I dont mind talking to her... But I cant guarantee that you wont get hurt... Anyone does when they deal with her..."

Stanley sighed as he was looking at Verona "I would not ask you this if I had any other choice. I dont... I know exactly who I am dealing with.... But I dont know her personally... You do from what I have heard from your cousins... She wont see me... But she will see you..."

Verona asked "Woah... So you are not even asking for a simple phone call by me... You want me to see her in person. Are you mad?" She stood up "I need to think about this... There could be consequences and I cant be held responsible for anyone getting hurt..."

Stanley looked up at Verona "I have no other choice. You are my only hope Verona... Its about my girl..."

There was a mixture of pain and sadness in his voice. Verona sighed and sat back down "Stanley... Look... There is too much risk... I am not concerned for me... I am concerned for you... Do you know what you will be letting yourself into if you have to deal with this woman?"

Stanley nodded "Yes... I do..."

Verona asked "So... Why do I need to contact her?"

Stanley said "She is your godmother..."

Verona closed her eyes and opened them "Thanks for stating the obvious... I did not choose her as my godmother... Dont remind me..."

Stanley asked "Why did your father choose her to be your godmother? Your cousins never told me the reason... It makes no sense... I just know she is your godmother .... Arlinda McLeod is a cut throat female leader of the Macleod enterprises... She is quite brutal in how she does business and has thousands of people working for her and toughest of men kneel at her feet begging for mercy. She has no alliances with any of the Italian crime families... Even with Irish families she doesnt get close up and personal with them... She hardly attends social events and its always in work and business environment where even the Irish families see her.... I was always fascinated how she ended up being your godmother... How is it that you are the only soul that she loves and she even has named you as her heir..."

Verona shook her head "I wish I wasn't the only soul she loves... And I have no intention of being her heir... I have no idea how legally I am going to deal with that when the time comes.. I guess when I turn eighteen I have to fight some battles to change my godmother's mind..."

Stanley said "Good luck with trying to change her mind.. But tell me... How come she loves you so much? How did she end up being your godmother?

Verona sighed "Its a long story... I recall the memory very clearly when it happened... I was 4 years old when I met her... My family was staying at a very safe holiday resort full of nice villas .... Then my parents had to go on an urgent trip they couldn't postpone half way through our holiday. So I was left at the Villa with childminders and my parents were coming back in a day or two... When my parents had gone I was playing hide and seek with some children of family friends who were staying there too at the villa... Then suddenly I found myself lost outside the villa's play area ... I aimlessly ran around trying to find the child minders who were watching me play that day... Somehow I ended up in wondering around a garden of one of the villas nearby... Arlina Macleod found me alone wondering around... I stayed with her for the next few days..."

Stanley asked "You stayed there a few days?"

Verona said "Yes... She asked her security to locate my parents and tell them I was there... She found out I was a Rosario and made contact with my family but she refused to hand me over to anyone but my parents.... She did not lose sight of me while I was there... She spent time with me, read books to me and took good care of me while I was waiting to be picked up... My parents were held up at an airport because of severe weather conditions at the time so it took a few days... When my parents came to pick me up, they were grateful and asked her to name anything she wanted as reward. Because she took a liking to me, she asked to be named my godmother and be allowed to be in my life ..."

Stanley asked "Your parents agreed?"

Verona said "Of course.... I was found and was handed over unharmed... Why wouldn't they agree? I could be dead if I fell into the hands of my parents' enemies... "

Stanley said "Weren't they worried about her being in your life?"

Verona sighed "Not really... She proved she wished me no harm.... She is one of the most brutal and most dangerous women on the planet. But she is caring to me.. But only to me... She somehow formed a maternal bond with me that is still strong... She would have adopted me if I had no parents... She said she was tempted not to return me to my family and sometime she regrets it... But my parents see the good in people and so do I... My patents did tell me that Arlinda MacLeod was betrayed by many people before she became this powerful. She inherited the MacLeod crime family business when everyone around her died.... She is now an untouchable entrepreneur and had to make tough decisions in her early days ... I have spent alot of time with her over the years... She has always been so kind to me but I wish she would be nice to the world too..."

Stanley said "Thank you for quenching my curiosity about how you ended up being the only soul Arlinda Macleod cares for even though she is from an Irish crime family and you are Italian ...Either way, I need you to help me by meeting her... It sound like you are the only one who can..."

Verona said "So... Tell me what is it you want me to do..."

Stanley took a deep breath "What I am asking you to do is not within anyone's power but yours. The girl who I love is called Dani. I don't know where she is. I have no way of knowing. You can find out where she is from your godmother... Dani's father used to work for my family. He is excellent at what he does... One of the best experts in his field. Arlinda Macleod asked my family to hand him over to he recruited for a top . My family was happy to hand him over. I wasn't. But it did not matter what I thought. They wanted a good relation with Macleod enterprises. Why not take the chance. So Dani had to relocate with her father. I don't know where she lives. There is no records anywhere. She must be residing at a secret residence that some of the most valuable MacLeod employees are housed. I need to find her. I need to see her..."

Verona asked "So... Why don't you ask your family to ask her?"

Stanley said "My family won't help. They could but they won't. They are happy she is separated from me. They don't approve of her for me. They prefer I go out with someone who is matching to the Alistaires in terms of power but since I am not really very top of the command chain they don't care... My father is the third son of my grandfather... His two older brothers have sons who are more favourable. And I am not very co-operative. So I am allowed to go out with her but how can I even have a chance if I don't see her again?"

Verona said "What do you want me to exactly tell her? If I tell her I am doing this for you, she will refuse. I know she will..."

Stanley said "I need to find her. Tell her whatever you want. Just get me an address or phone number. Anything. Any trace. I will do the breaking in and climbing walls if she is somewhere that's not open to public. I have to start from somewhere. I have searched everywhere. There is no trace and your godmother won't grant a wish like this for anyone else...  She wont share information employees like Dani's father.... He is working on a non-public project of some kind so security is tight around him. She wont tell anyone else about where Dani is staying with her family because of business reasons."

Verona sighed "I will do what I can Stanley. But I can't promise any success..."

Stanley said "I understand. You do this for me and I will never forget your act of helping me. Even if you don't succeed, I don't care. At least you tried... No one else could do this for me. Your godmother won't grant personal favours to anyone else. You have the biggest chance..."

Verona asked "When do you want me to request to see her?"

Stanley said "Today?"

Verona said "What? I have school. She lives far away..."

Stanley said "She is in a meeting in a building a block away from here. You have the whole day off to get to know about your internship. I can get you all the information you haven't collected yet and make notes. I will arrange transport too."

Verona said "How long have you planned this? Why didn't you tell me this before?"

Stanley said "My plans formed this morning when my last source turned my request down and I found out Arlinda MacLeod is nearby..."

Verona replied "I will try my best..." She had to help Alistaire but she was not sure how successful she was going to be. And she definitely did not look forward to paying a visit to her godmother.

Verona was not surprised to be accepted as visitor as soon as she was greeted by her godmother's personnel who were standing guard at the lobby of a tall building where Arlinda Macleod was having a meeting. Before she knew it she was standing in an elevator and was told where she could find her godmother who was more than happy to see her. She made time for her no matter what of the day it was or what day it was.

Verona stepped outside the elevator and walked to a secretary who quickly stood up and lead her to a door. She said "You are expected Ma'am."

Verona nodded. She knew she was expected but she knocked anyway and then entered. As she entered and closed the door, she came face to face with her smiling godmother who appeared in front of her greeting her warmly as always. She kissed her forehead and whispered "What a pleasant surprise... I did not expect you to visit me today... Are you staying for lunch, dinner or both?"

Verona smiled nervously as she looked up into the eyes of Arlinda Macleod, the woman who no one would have voluntarily requested to meet up with... She could be a nightmare. A deadly enemy and a brutal business opponent. She was the only one she was willing to show her caring side to. 

Verona said "Actually.... The reason I came to visit you to ask you something... I did not come here to stay long..."

Arlinda asked "Why dont you sit down? We can talk..."

Verona found herself sat down on a sofa opposite her godmother as she offered her a drink. She never refused anything from her. It was a bad idea to do so. She knew from experience. She finished her juice as she made casual conversation and then as she put down her empty glass, she said "Now... I hope you dont mind me discussing a matter with you that I came here for to discuss..."

Arlinda leaned back in her arm chair and crossed her legs "Go on Verona.... What is the purpose of your visit?"

Verona took a deep breath "I ... I wish to meet someone ... There is a girl called Dani... Her father works for you... I would like to meet her if it's ok?"

Arlinda smiled "Is that the only reason you came here to see me?"

Verona became nervous. She could not read her mind. Her smile could have many meanings. "Yes... This is the only reason..."

Arlinda Macleod said "Verona... Verona... My child... I would happily grant your wish... "

Verona asked "You... You will..."

Arlinda said "I have no reason not to... I can imagine why you are interested in meeting her..."

Verona froze. Did she know about Stanley?

Arlinda sighed "I know how she is a potential ice skating future champion and you love ice skating... I dont have a problem if you want her to work with you.... She has had very highly prestigious coaches all her life... I can allow you to see her and make use of her expertise among many other reasons you are seeking her company... but only on my terms... You see... Her father is of high value to me... She cant meet you in a public.... It has to be in school only..."

Verona asked quickly "Thats great.... Thank you... Which school does she attend?"

Arlinda said "She is home schooled... I told you... Her father is doing some highly classified work for me... I cant let her father and her family out of my sight... So she is staying with her family at a very secure facility right now ..."

Verona said "Oh..."

Arlinda said "But of course ... I can reconsider my arrangements for her... She can attend your school... I can arrange that because your current school that you transferred to recently is a Rosario partner school... Your father informed me you changed school when I last talked to him... Your new school is perfectly secure... As long as she does not leave the school campus for any reason, she can attend your school... Your wish will be granted as soon as possible..."

Verona could not believe it. "Thank you so much... I appreciate it..."

Arlinda smiled "Lovely..." She then stood up and walked towards Verona "I did some research on your new school... I hear you can opt to do internships and do projects... It looks good on your college application... Where are you doing your internships..." She sat down next to Verona and stared expectantly at her.

Verona replied "I am going to do a hospital placement for my medical project... Its just the hospital that is a block away from this building actually..... I have not had the chance to select my second project yet... I need to think... But its likely a business and economics project with a company that works with the school... "

Arlinda smiled "Wonderful... You can do your internship right here...."

Verona gasped "Here?"

Arlinda said "Of course... Its right near the hospital where your other internship is... It makes sense.. It saves you time... You can do the two placements on the same day...One in the morning, one afternoon... It saves you alot of time and leaves you some free time..."

Verona could see the logic. It was a great opportunity. she said honestly "Thats a fantastic opportunity..."

Arlinda smiled "Fabulous... I will send the paper work to your school... You will be working with me... Right here..."

Verona gasped "Here? But all your offices are away from here?"

Arlinda said "When I found out you have moved school I moved one of my headquarters here to this building just in case you decide to visit me... I wanted to make it convenient for you. I am also buying the nearby business park ... So I have excuses to visit this part of the city more often... I look forward to having you here as my intern..."

Verona was thinking hard. How could she change her situation? "Well... I dont know if I am suitable for any roles here... Would I have an interview first? When is the interview date?" She didnt know what else to say. She just needed to buy herself some time to think how to get out of working for her godmother who she tried not to get too close to.

Arlinda said "Would you like to have an interview? Sure... We can have an interview right now... It makes sense for me to show you the list of options .... I will give you all the training that you need on any role you wish to choose..."

Verona wanted to run outside that minute. What now? Stanley was getting his wish without even being involved in any way and without even being mentioned. But she was getting more involvement than she expected or rather ....desired. She said "Oh... I need my transcript and grades from school so I cant have the interview now..."

Arlinda said "I have seen your grades from the last academic year... You have just started the school year at your current school and have not sat any exams... As far as I know your grades match any placement here you wish to be part of..."

Verona tried reasoning "But you are busy... I don't wish to take too much of your time..."

Arlinda said "I always have time for you Verona... You must know that by now..."

Verona knew that of course but thought it was worth a shot. 

Arlinda smiled "Now.. Before we get to the interview stage, tell me little about yourself... We can catch up on some lost times.... How is your new school?"

Verona knew it was going to be a long day. The worst part was she had no excuse to return to school. That day she was meant to be for choosing internships and was self study day. Great. Just great. She could be there the entire day and she knew it. Her godmother was good company but she knew the more time Verona spent with her godmother, the more time her godmother wanted to spend with her. Verona knew that from experience. 

Verona said "There is nothing much to tell... I like my new school... Its different... I hope to have a normal school experience..."

Arlinda Macleod was staring at this child she was willing to die for to protect from the world.  She loved Verona like she was her real daughter... Ever since Verona had entered her life, she had felt a strong maternal instinct towards her and a strong urge to care for her and protect her. Nothing gave her more joy than spending time with the only soul in the world she saw as her family. She reached her hand and stroked the strands of her blonde hair. She said "Your father told me why you chose to break away from your old school and distance yourself from familiar surroundings... You want more independence... I have no objections...  I get to see you more often now ... Tell me... You are now close to senior year.... Do you have a boyfriend yet?"

Verona shook her head "No...."

Arlinda leaned closer as she whispered " My beautiful Verona...You will break many hearts over your life time... I have no doubt... But be careful who you give your heart to... You can always come to me and talk to me... I am always here for you... Any man who dares to break your heart, will suffer at my hands and will watch all that he holds dear burn down to ashes right in front of him... Then... Only then... I will rip his heart out of his chest to end his unnecessary existence..." She then kissed Verona's forehead.

Verona was used to her godmothers' affection and promises. She had no doubt she was going to follow through her threats. Her love for her was as endless as her hate for her enemies.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro