12. Cara

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Then let's start." Gallum's voice was darkly cheerful and his smile was anything but nice.

And very much excited.

I gulped.

Shit, shit, shit, what's happening? My heart sped up and I kept my eyes down.

"Its very simple." Gallum walked from his end slowly approaching us like we were his prey.

Ironic, I know.

He continued, "Its a little something to....test your.....endurance, if I do say so myself." He cast his eyes around. "Only lasting for thirty minutes."

Whimpers echoed in the room and my blood boiled. Gallum's excited grin only grew.

"We have to see how well Lucien picks, don't we? It's a bit of a...tradition."

I highly doubt that.

But by now, I had no questions about whether what was happening was related to the conversation I had heard or not. It most certainly was.

I raised my eyes a bit.

Only to find him staring at me a bit oddly but his gaze made me feel like snakes were slithering over my skin and I resisted the urge to shiver.

"When I say; you all shall run out. Out of this room and to any place in the palace. If I find you....I shall have a bit of a...taste. You survive, well and good, you don't.....well, I had my fun." He shrugged unapologetically.

Translation in easier mundane words: You will run in a Vampire Palace as I want to have a feast and an entertaining game of hide-and-seek. I find you, I'll drain you of your blood. If I don't by the time the thirty minutes are up...? You get to live. Easy.

Right. 

I stopped myself from snickering at the incredulity of it all.

He just said that we have to run and hide, right? It won't be easy when at every turn there are blood-thirsty vampires and you're in a Royal Wing where one wrong step can cost you your life or opening one wrong door will spell your doom.

I felt the weight of the stupid game that made so many lose their lives, and no doubt, this year would be the same.

I couldn't save others. You fend for yourself here. But I could save myself.

And that...? That I would indeed do.

Gallum grinned.

I gulped. My eyes training on the path towards the door as my heart skipped a beat and I discreetly felt up my thigh, getting instant reassurance when I felt my dagger in my thigh sheath.

The room was silent as if everyone and everything was holding their breath.

I braced myself to flee, spacing out my feet, because for my survival today there was no other option and sloppiness or panic wouldn't get me anywhere.

And then, like frost over snow covered trees and sun-kissed mountains looking to freeze it all, he whispered the words with malicious intent:

"Run."

And so I did. 

Like the very wind that was directing the path of that frost, I was out of the room along with a couple of other girls.

Scrambling, I ran down the left hallway with mediocre knowledge of what hallway led where in this maze of the Celeran Palace's West-Wing.

Gulping, I realized how dry my throat was and how shaky my legs were with actual fear.

Guards didn't stop me, as if they were aware of what was indeed happening. I cursed internally and ran down another connecting hallway to the left. It depended on Gallum honestly. He could smell our blood and discern which one belonged to whom and where and come after us.

I hoped he had not marked me.

•○•

I panted, gasping for air. 

It didn't really help that my pounding heart made it worse and my body was not in shape, out of energy and definitely not fit. My thighs were aching and my lungs screaming for air after having to literally keep running as fast as I could and trying to get as far away as possible.

It had been nineteen minutes, if my calculations were correct and I knew they were.

Just eleven more minutes, Cara. 

At this point, I didn't even know where I was. It was frustrating. Every hallway looked the same and I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up in the same place I started in.

I rounded the corner before my breath escaped me and my eyes widened.

Standing there, with a death hold on a girl's waist, Minister Gallum had almost drained her of blood completely.

I bit my lip and willed my heart to calm down but the sardonic grin that took up his features as he sucked on her blood let me know that without having to look up, he knew I was here.

And so I turned back.

And ran again.

A thump sounded out in the hallway and I assumed it was the girl's lifeless body being thrown without a care.

But that also meant Minister Gallum was again on the hunt.

And I was almost sure I was the prey.

He wasn't being as fast as he could or I would be dead by now. He'd have caught me. But my guess is that it would be no fun for him otherwise. Us mundane creatures standing a chance against a five hundred year old powerful vampire was ridiculous. 

I needed to hide and mask my scent. The perfume I had from Belaura was long gone and I couldn't have it on me anyways.

I had my Silern dagger as a last minute resort because he was a member of the court. Old and powerful. Doing something to him would be like sentencing myself to the gallows. But if worse came to worst......

Licking my dry lips as I exhaled and inhaled through my nose, I came to an abrupt stop when I saw the room we had just escaped from.

So I thought quick on my feet.

The room was already full of human blood scent, correct? It would also be the last place he would look for.

I had to stall for just....seven more minutes is what the clock on the far end showed me.

It would be risky if I got caught but I was running out of both time and options. In my hurry, I grazed my arm against the sharp edge of a show piece guard's armor. Cursing, I ignored the prickle.

Without another second to spare, I rushed back into the dark stone room, noticing its musky scent. 

It was empty. Like I had assumed and I kept a hand on my mouth to muffle my heavy breathing.

I walked in deeper and when I saw a blur crossing the open door, I closed my eyes for a second. He had passed by.

"That was indeed smart, dear."

I jumped and my heart kick started at the Minister's voice sounding so close. 

Shit, no.

I bit the inside of my cheek, my eyes lowered, breathing still erratic and I gulped, backing away when I realized the origin of the voice was from the front. I was suddenly way too aware of the slight trickle of my blood from my arm where I had grazed it.

The tall figure emerged with a grin, his teeth blood red because of...well, blood and a trickle of blood ran down the corner of his mouth. It made me nostalgic enough and my stomach turned.

I inhaled sharply and within a second he was closer than he had been and I took three steps back in succession. His eyes traveled the movement of the blood dropping down my arm.

It must've heightened his senses and given me away too much. I knew it had thrown all my witty eluding down the drain.

Stall, Cara. Not much time left. Just. Stall. 

"Smart, yes, but foolish as well." He stepped closer, his intent clear yet I couldn't bring myself to acknowledge this as my end. The trickle of blood reached my palm.

My hand automatically but slowly traveled under my skirt and unsheathed the dagger. I hid my hand behind my back and found that Gallum's attention was fully on my neck.

He licked his blood red lips and smirked.

"This will be fun." Using his vampire speed, he was in front of me in the blink of an eye and I stumbled back, only to find that half a step was all I could take as my back hit the stone wall. My heart hammered in my chest and my hands were sweaty, my breaths still not even and a wave of fear washed over me.

I couldn't ignore the reality when it was staring me in the face. If not death, then it would be a painful experience indeed.

The cold, misty feeling of the slightly rugged stone bit into my back as I pressed my body against it and as a last resort...

Held up my dagger.

Gallum's eyes fell on the dagger, that he couldn't possibly touch lest he wanted to cause himself harm, for a millisecond before he gave me an amused look.

Before I knew it, his hand had a grip on my dagger holding wrist and he squeezed with his superior strength so hard that I couldn't help the painful gasp that escaped me, feeling as if my bone was breaking. A bruise was sure to be formed, but what worried me more was--

My dagger that got knocked across the floor and out of my hold leaving me completely defenseless.

I felt panic rising up in me, swelling like a blow-fish, my eyes widening of their own accord and despite my attempts, the mild shiver that ran through my body informed him of my obvious fear.

When his eyes fell on my bare neck, my heart felt like it would give up any minute now and so would my knees. He leaned in, his fangs apparent as he gave me a toothy grin and made for my neck.

The worst thing was I felt frozen. 

And it was not because of my fear. It most certainly had to be Minister Gallum's power because I couldn't even move a bit, besides the beating of my heart and the wide eyes, I was literally frozen to the spot, motionless.

Then, out of the blue, the air around us seemed to have....shifted.

"If I were you...." A strained voice I'd heard once.

"I wouldn't go through with that, Minister." A voice I had become familiar with.

The sharp tip of a sword's blade rested on the spot where Minister Gallum probably intended to bite me. The tip was pressed into my neck, hard enough to make me feel but not enough to pierce.

And I truly hated the silent sigh of....relief that I let out.

Lucien's amber eyes were narrowed threateningly on Gallum though the sword was pointed at—on—me and I noticed the slight set of his jaw.

I let myself look towards the darkness engulfed corner that the other voice had come from to see a lean figure with his arms crossed and a casual manner in which he rested his weight against the wall, yet his posture was stiff and his breaths were clearly measured.

I'd say Damien was...angry. If his cackling eyes and the static air were any indication.

Damien's electric blue eyes didn't meet mine but the air was charged and his focus was on Minister Gallum as well.

Never.

Never in a million years would I have anticipated such a scenario where a Vampire Prince and a Shifter General would....save me?

Minister Gallum's lips set into a thin line as he retreated but.....if I didn't know any better, I'd say he looked...pleased. Satisfied even.

Lucien glanced at me and my heart skipped a beat when his amber orbs rested on me after so long. And needless to say, I hated it.

Damien didn't move a muscle and then suddenly I felt like movement returned to my body so I'm guessing Minister Gallum's power was no longer affecting me.

Lucien eased the sword's hold on me and then jerked his chin at Damien once before grabbing my elbow and dragging me out without another glance at Gallum.

I didn't protest. Though it felt like I was out of one lion's mouth and into another's.

Just a different kind.

•○•

"Wrap this around your wound. Or You blood scent is going to attract too many vampires."

I blinked at the piece of grey knit cloth Lucien offered me, while still dragging me with him out and to the.....

Stables, I'm guessing, where else, no? 

I took the piece of cloth from him because, well, he had a point, and wrapped it single handed over my wound. Which was difficult, mind you. Then I scowled.

"How will it mask my scent? It'll just stop the bleeding." I reasoned. I was still a bit out of breath but....despite the close call, I found myself feeling much safer with Lucien and for good reason. Lucien would not harm me because of whatever reason the queen had entrusted him with me and picked me out of the crowd. Not because of anything else or genuine worry for me.

He rolled his eyes and gave me a look. "It's Salamander cloth."

I widened my eyes and then looked at him like he was crazy. "You gave me Salamander cloth!?"

It was a type of cloth that was almost as effective as the scent masking perfume Belaura had given me but unlike the perfume, Salamander cloth was even more rare so this surprised me.

"Do you have a better suggestion? Besides, you should be thanking me for saving your life."

I ignored his sarcasm because he was correct again and countered without skipping a beat, "No. I shouldn't thank you. Because the only reason you saved me was because of the Queen's orders and not genuine concern or something."

Lucien shrugged nonchalantly and didn't deny. We both knew that was the truth. He ran a hand through his silky looking platinum blonde hair and I found myself following the movement. When I looked back at him, I found him....smirking as he looked at me from the corner of his eye and I scoffed, looking away.

I didn't just sorta.....oh, for god's sake, Cara!

I chided myself for doing that and then before I could do or think more, we were entering my 'home'.

Also known as the stables if you didn't understand.

I gave Lucien a flat look only to see him shaking his head.

Wow.

I can't believe this, five minutes ago, I was about to possibly die and now I'm standing here, bantering with the Shifter General.

The change was ginormous. 

He called out for Theo and give him a coupe of commands as I took my time to observe the piece of cloth and my wound. It wasn't deep but yeah. It was a wound I had ignored in the heat of the moment only to realize how it affected me. But if I'm right, it was also probably the only thing that drew Damien and Lucien to our exact location which I'm sadly grateful for.

Though I'm still baffled as to why they sorta saved me.

I mean, of course, Damien did it because he most definitely wanted to be the first and only one to taste my blood if I had read the message in his striking eyes clear that day and Lucien came because it was pretty much his responsibility to not get me killed as per the Queen's instructions.

So those were my justifications.

"Use these things to clean yourself up and attend to your bruise." Lucien's words snapped me back to reality and I nodded, not really registering what he said besides the fact that I wasn't getting a healer definitely and the bowl of water and a clean cloth with some gauze like rags to wrap around were placed besides me, until he cursed. 

I looked at him as he grabbed my wrist, the one Gallum had harmed and I almost cried out in pain when his tight grip was exactly on a painful point, but toned it down to a yelp. I noticed it was purple and blue. So.....definitely bruised.

"The bone's not broken." He felt around my hand, causing slight pain and I bit the inside of my cheek even as chills erupted wherever his skin met mine. "But it's swollen and a muscle is probably torn or something." 

At that moment, Theo set down a small bottle in front of us on a table before he vanished. Lucien snatched it up and locked his amber eyes on my jade ones as I took deep breaths, trying to calm my racing heart. 

He should not be touching me. Or looking at me like that.

His amber orbs were churning with odd emotions as he searched my eyes, locked in a heated battle before clearing his throat when I blinked to break the said daze.

"Use this salve. It should help, I–" He was about to say more then blinked and cursed under his breath, "Shit!"

I frowned, "What happened?" 

"Damien." Lucien squeezed his eyes shut, taking a deep breath and dropped his hold on my bruised wrist.

"What?" I repeated, confused.

He opened his eyes and hurriedly got up. "I better get back to Damien. You use this all."

He didn't even give me a second to respond before he was gone like the wind.

I cursed. "Damn these supernaturals and their stupid speeds...."

He just left. Left me so confused.

Why did he have to go back? And to Damien?

My frown deepened as I dipped the cloth in the water while taking the now slightly red Salamander cloth from my upper arm.

I started to clean the wound that could've very well been the death of me and felt my mind replaying the events that followed.

I didn't expect anyone, let alone, those two to sweep down like knights in shining armor. But they both had their selfish reasons, yet in comparison they were safer. I wondered about Gallum's fleeing look of satisfaction that I had caught. And the way his hand had squeezed my wrist with the unnatural power.

How I was left defensele–

I froze and my eyes snapped up.

My dagger.

It was still in that room!

I hadn't had an opportunity to pick it up but I couldn't sleep without it and that much I was sure of.

My heart pounded in my chest, beating fast.

No, I needed it. I really did. I never spent a day without it for the past five years. it was the only defense I knew and had. Even after coming here, thanks to the Queen's suspicious graciousness, I had had it with me. It carried too much emotional and sentimental value for me to lose it.

I felt myself getting....desperate. It was my father's. Had saved me countless times. Been with me through all sorts of highs and lows, it was my safe haven of sorts.

And despite knowing that it would lead to rash decisions, I didn't calm down.

And I did make a decision.

Looking out, I saw it was already night. Probably eight since the sun was well set and the moon was peeking out. So if I bid my time, just until after midnight......

I could do it. 

Yes.

I would do it.

What, you ask? Oh, nothing much.

Just.....

I was going to infiltrate the West Wing of the Celeran Palace which was the home to countless vicious and merciless but bloodthirsty vampires, find the room where this day took a bad turn in, find my dagger and grab a hold of it before trying to successfully make it out of the Palace without alerting any guards or attracting any vampires.

Besides, no matter how insane it sounds.....

It felt like I needed to be there tonight.

•○•

AN~

Thank you guys, for staying with me. Sorry for the late update. Anyways soooo...

What about Minister Gallum's behavior? Its weird..

What did you think of Damien and Lucien's sudden unexpected entry?

And then the way Lucien left in a rush for some reason?

Cara's decision to retrieve her dagger?

Oh and um, please tell me what you though of the chapter and the new cover please?

Also, phew, man this was a looonggg chapter huh?

Thank you again you all, stay safe, please vote, comment, and SHARE and RECOMMEND or maybe, Idk, do a few shout outs for this book?

Would mean a lot! Okay, till next time then, hope you enjoyed reading the new update. 

~Skyler

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro