5. Lucien

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

My eyes met the Queen's dark ones, sitting atop the throne on the dais next to the King's.

She gave me a hint of a dark smirk which I happily mimicked. Then I dutifully gestured towards the horde of slaves behind me. My hand casually resting on the hilt of my sword, I took a step back.

"As you requested, Your Majesty." She gave me a barely perceptible nod and I did the same.

Every year.

Every year like clockwork, Queen Kesla requested to see the faces of the new slaves bought. It was an act no one ever questioned though it had been an occurrence for the past 20 years now.

As anticipated, her eyes ran over each slave's face in a sweeping motion without anything to break her assessment. I was so used to it by now that I didn't even bother feigning respect as I casually walked off to the side and leaned against the wall, crossing my arms over my chest and surveying the inhabitants of the room.

Lines and lines and lines of slaves for different purposes bought by different Ministers were presented. The group I had arrived with was in the far back. Still awaiting its turn for the cold sweep of the Queen's eyes.

I would be a liar if I said it hadn't piqued my curiosity as well.

The reason for this strange and insistent practice where there was absolutely no need for it. Sure, people might think that it was perhaps a security measure, but that wouldn't be the Queen's task the, perhaps mine or some other minister. But I don't know what we could actually find in a slaves's face. Still, that girl was making me question things. I was smarter than to ask Kesla such a question.

Despite the fact that we were perhaps more cordial than most queens and their generals were, it was more of a result of my friendship with her son than anything else.

It was never King Harold or Prince Damien who did this inspection either. Always her, like she was privy to something no one else was.

Another line of house slaves came and rushed out.

Kesla was a beautiful woman. Fiery red hair, in contrast to her pale skin, curled over her shoulders. A crown sat daintily atop her head. Today, she was donning a dress of darkest, deepest mauve that gave her a description of tempting blood, matched with her hair and dark eyes.

In a dark manner, she was truly alluring for a vampire. A belt of sparkling golden chain rested on her waist against the stark mauve fabric. Kohl lined her eyes and her lips shone red.

The stench of obvious fear were enough assurance of what effect the Queen's mere presence had. Though, I might be responsible for that as well.

Queen Kesla's arms rested on the armrests of her throne casually, her eyes shrewd and the perfect posture of vicious nonchalance. A dismissive air of intimidation was wrapped around her.

I moved my eyes from the queen's figure to search the back of the Hall. My eyes searched for a certain onyx haired slave and they narrowed of their own accord when they saw how assessing her own eyes were. Discreetly, she looked around and I followed her line of sight.

Counting and noting. She was counting and noting the guards, the windows, the exits.

It was such a brave move that I couldn't help the amused smile that spread over my face. Yet, I was surprised to feel both pity and appreciation for her. 

I don't understand what's drawing me to her though.

I focused in and heard the frantic heartbeat her face was trying to mask.

The docile front she was leading everyone to believe with the lowered head and the obedient, submissive actions seemed almost laughable to me at this point.

Because I could see the wheels turning in her head and I had no doubt that beneath the broken slave facade, a plan was once more brewing.

For most, they wouldn't be able to see her tells for she was undoubtedly a good actress and one believes what they want to. In a world where her race is nothing more than dirt beneath our feet, no one would spare her a second glance.

But I, having witnessed her escapade, knew what vigilance and wits she must have hiding in there. Nor did she seem to be someone who would simply give up.

As I observed her, I felt a dreadful presence moving closer to me until they were besides me.

"I hope the slaves you bought this year will last longer."

A sigh escaped past my snowed in barriers and I clenched my jaw. I tilted my head to give the shallow man a sideways look before smiling darkly, frigidly.

"And I hope you won't go out of your way to make that happen out of spite like last year."

Minister Gallum. A lanky and cruel man with a burly mustache and venomous words. He was a snake. I don't even know why he was still on the Council.

Perhaps because he was one of the oldest living vampires and in control of more than two-sixth of the Celeran territory just by blood lineage rights.

One of the King's advisor's, he was known for his ruthless treatment of the human slaves and his hatred for me. Though I might not feel much for the human slaves–I wasn't kindhearted to them–but I couldn't find any satisfaction in their pain when they deserved none.

Gallum never could leave a chance if he felt he could attack me in any way. My relations with the Royal family greatly bothered him and the fame I had as one of the most well known Generals in the history of Vammal didn't settle with him.

Though I never understood why, I think it was result of jealousy. He did, after all, get undermined by me in almost everything.

Minister Gallum gave me a nasty smile and I returned it except it was bone-chilling as I'd been told by many who fell at my hands.

"It was nothing personal. They were simply too easy to break. Wasn't even fun. I deserve a challenge."

I snickered, loud enough so he could hear the icicles meant to stab at his fake pride and looked him in the eyes. "Of course, it had nothing to do with my strategies being preferred or my votes counting heavier than yours in the council meetings. Or simply the plans I put forth for our city's advancement being chosen over yours? No, of course not. But I do agree that you deserve a challenge."

He blinked at the crudely put forth truth in my words and narrowed his beady eyes.

I smirked arrogantly, cold and unyielding and twirled the girl's dagger in my hand before glancing at Minister Gallum once more, "Or perhaps we could spar sometime? I can always make some time for you." I offered, well aware of his failure in swordsmanship skills. It was one of my favorite taunts for him.

Minister Gallum turned a shade of red and glared at me. "No, thank you. I shall pass. I only wish you the best for the upcoming meeting with the Witchland representative and King Arion."

I resisted the urge to raise my brows, instead settling for a freezing self-satisfied slash of my mouth in his direction as he gritted his teeth before heading away without another word. I scoffed internally and turned back to observe my captive, not paying heed to the man's words.

Everyone knew that this meeting was going to be a key one and very important, so I had no doubts that Minister Gallum's words of support were anything but a twisted way of wishing me failure. This was normal.

The slave girl kept my attention occupied as she kept discreetly checking out and marking new things with both a determination I hadn't seen in a slave ever and a sense of awe I'd seen to much.

I realized that she was actually good at this and her definition of 'survival' was clearly messed up. She seemed to have chosen her own definition for it.

With every step that their line took to reach the front, the more she stopped looking about. It was also clear now, to me, how this deceiving little pet had mastered a few skills. If one didn't know how to notice, it was beyond comprehension that she was anything but a petrified slave. And for good reason.

I kept my eyes trained on her even when she was in my line of sight. Two more rows to go before she was up. She visibly swallowed and I heard her heartbeat ricochet.

Was this pet smart enough to fear a powerful Vampire Queen who had about zero to no amount of mercy?

Yes. It seemed so.

With every detail I was forced to notice, my amusement grew.

Oh, she would be one to definitely keep an eye on.

And I had a feeling that I would gladly do so.

She swept her gaze on both sides of her and as if she could feel my eyes on her, her lashes lifted barely as her eyes collided straight with mine.

Jade green eyes locked with mine and I felt a strange unease as if the air had all but escaped my lungs. I narrowed my eyes.

She didn't look away.

She clearly must have figured out by now that I was the one who had captured her. But it was strange and refreshing to see that she kept eye contact with me under such circumstances.

If it was any other slave–

Who am I kidding? The way things had unfolded from the beginning as far as I was concerned with this girl, it wouldn't have happened with anyone else, I just knew.

Could I perhaps hurt her?

I blinked. I don't even know where this thought came from. As I said, I have never been a fan of pain or hurting someone innocent.

I exhaled harshly.

What the fuck is this slave girl doing to me? And it hasn't even been a full day!

And even more strange.......was that I could see why she was chosen to be sold to higher bidders. Besides being smart but undernourished......

Her eyes were quite the catch.

Extremely enigmatic and most certainly hiding unknown secrets.

And I knew.

Whether I did something or not, I was for sure going to unearth those secrets of hers that even she seemed unaware of, chipping away at her defenses and reinforcing my cold armour.

Little did I know, I wasn't the only one with those thoughts.

•○•

AN~

Hope you enjoyed and Oh, and don't forget to vote and comment, of course!

~Skyler!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro