8. Cara

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Wake up, Cara."

Something moist licked my face and the words registered in my mind. Withing seconds, I was up, my dagger tightly clutched in my hand as my heart thundered.

"Whoa, ease up, it's just me."

My eyes zeroed in on a brown haired guy, holding a bucket and I blinked. The place didn't stink, but the unmistakable stench of horses was present.

"Theo....Um, sorry." I lowered my dagger and he gave me a small smile. I didn't return it and kept my face impassive.

He nodded, "It's alright." Then he gestured towards my left and I followed his eyes, "Veta there seems to like you."

"The horse?" I asked, a bit perplexed. I realized that the wet feeling I'd felt was probably Veta licking my cheek. I self-consciously rubbed the spot and cleared my throat. I eyed the stormy grey beauty.

"I suppose."

Theo raised his brows. "You know she's the most expensive, deadliest and fastest horse in all of Celera? The Prince and General have had quite a few fights over her."

I looked back at Veta who whinnied and felt lower than a horse. Wow, Veta.

I can't believe I'm feeling lower than a horse.

"You're lucky you got to sleep next to her stable."

Yep. Lower than a horse.

I slept on the floor on top of some dry hay, for the record. Not complaining. Better than cold stone floors or being chained to the wall or having to sleep in contaminated, dirty maid beds.

"Oh." I responded. I was careful with my words around him. For all I knew, he could be spying on me as well. And as I'd said, Lucien was the only one who was making me lose my cool.

I'm impressed by myself that I'm still alive and not lying drained in some city street in teeny-tiny pieces. Or that Lucien sucked at comebacks.

Ha. I snorted internally.

Then Theo jerked his chin towards the few horses, "Well, let's get started. You go freshen up in the back, there's a small pond you can use. No one will come by, they'll have to go through the stables so don't worry. Just be quick and change into the maid uniform you already have. Then you come back, take that bundle of hay and those two buckets. Give each horse a balanced and equal part of the food."

I breathed out when he finished speaking and simply nodded. Okay, wow. Curse Lucien for getting me extra work. However, if I wanted, I could, in fact, play this to my benefit. I could have some 'me' time and observe my surroundings, get my thoughts in line before my first day in the palace officially started.

I got up and took the clothes with me, heading to the back exit and was soon out of the stables.

I can't believe I actually managed to sleep.

With how things had turned out, I had high doubts that I would even sleep a wink but knowing that I had to be woken up was a bit of a surprise. But I guess, on the bright side, its good that I got some rest. I know things won't be easy on me today and surely I needed the energy.

I saw the small pond. Big enough to act like a tub with clear blue water that was....

I put a hand it.

....freaking freezing!

I took it out and exhaled heavily. Around us, was greenery and....a big wall. Definitely not something I could scale. Plus there was some spiky thing on top. So....it wasn't a dangerous place that someone could spot me in but it wasn't a good escape route either. But then again, I mean why would they keep me in a place I could escape from?

Taking off my clothes because I knew there was no alternative and I was low on time, I slowly dipped my body into the water.

I shivered but my endurance made me not cry out or jump out.

I quickly did my stuff and rubbed off the grime and mud, feeling much better. Also on the verge of freezing. When I managed to step out, I felt like my toes would fall out. If this was going to be a routine, I was sure I would end up falling ill because if I could help it, I would not stay dirty and sweaty and smelly.

So sucking it up like the determined girl I was, I put on the uniform. A knee length burgundy skirt with blue hemline and an electric blue shirt. I slipped on the pumps and buttoned up the shirt, letting loose the first button. I wrapped my wet hair in a messy bun and willed the sun to come out. I needed warmth! But it was still too dark and no sign of the sun coming out was visible. So sighing and steeling my nerves, I headed back.

•○•

"Now, now, I'm not that bad." I reasoned with the black horse that was flaring its nostrils at me

"Or that good!" I slightly shrieked out as Veta licked me yet again from her stable beside the black horse.

I put the hay and some mushy food that I think could've passed as porridge from one bucket and something that was a lot like bacon from the other, into the horse's food bowl before moving on to the last horse I would have to deal with and did what I had done for the other nineteen horses. Ignoring that my stomach was growling as well.

Yes, I realized that twenty horses weren't really fitting the word few.

After I was done, I quickly put the buckets after washing in the corner and went out myself again to wash my hands. And face. And hair that another friendly horse had licked a lot. And my hand that another violent one had almost bitten off. and–

You get the picture.

Theo wasn't here, probably out for some errand but I didn't know how to navigate anything here. And I think it must've been at least 6 by now. The horses were not as easy to feed as one would think.

I wonder who would take me to my doom.

"How was your morning, pet?"

Of course the person who would take me to yet another doom would be the one who took me to my first.

I turned around and looked at the platinum haired blond General and walked back inside the stables, crossing the door the amber eyed guy was leaning against with an arrogant smirk.

Bastard's enjoying himself.

"It's still morning." I pointed out instead of answering because, come on, what was I supposed to say?

I almost killed Theo, Veta licked me and my hair a lot, a horse bit off my hand: almost, I almost also caught pneumonia from the freezing water that you so conveniently chose for me and then had to see your ugly face?

Okay, so he's not ugly but that's besides the point.

Plus, accept it, its fun to watch him suffer at throwing a comeback and roasting him with my amazing sarcasm. I am also aware what our statuses are. He's the big bad wolf– or any animal for that matter–and I'm the measly rabbit dinner.

At least rabbits are cute.

But they are also food.

"Good to know you survived the night."

"Yes, I know you're disappointed." I retorted and he gave me a look that was akin to a frozen tundra.

"Let's go." His voice was cold and I knew I wasn't getting any more sarcastic banter from him anymore. I almost felt like whining but when we headed out, I kept my eyes open and looked around.

The slight morning light was illuminating a vast garden and.......a lot of guards. Like, everywhere.

"Escaping won't be that easy, pet." Lucien gave me a look that yelled smugness beneath the many layers of ice he guarded himself with and I bit the inside of my cheek.

"I've survived so long, and escaped once." I reminded him because if he thought I was foolish enough to spill my secrets of how I managed to pull off an escapade then he was dead wrong. So I voiced out my thoughts, "You'll have to work much harder if you want me to slip out some detail, General."

But even then I won't.

"I see. Hopefully, Milla won't be too hard on you." Lucien chuckled and it sent the feeling of icicles dropping like pinprickson my skin.

"You don't need to pretend, I'm well aware of your sadistic pleasure in my suffering." I flatly said.

He glanced at me, those cool amber eyes holding mine before he wickedly let his lips curl up. "But its so fun. Giving you the wrong idea, making you feel safe with me before I do something."

"I don't know where you got the slightest idea that I would feel the slightest bit safe with you. Ever. That's a strategy meant to fail. Are you truly General Lucien?" I gave him a critical once over.

He rose a brow and gave me a cold look, sharp jawline starkly snatching my attention for a moment. "Don't test me, pet."

By now, we had reached the inside of the Palace and I had successfully kept Lucien distracted as I marked the new places and counted the guards at different designated posts.

I'm much smarter, Lucien.

I shrugged in response. He led me off the main hallway to the right into a big room that had the faint smell of edible food. My stomach churned, reminding me of my hunger.

It was bustling and different women and men of different ages were sitting down onto the wooden benches with a plate of what looked like two slices of bread and butter. I gulped and realized how thirsty I was as well.

Suddenly all eyes were on me and my, erm, accomplice? No, captor.

The General.

Calculated bustling started up again, but this time it was more.....conscious. Like they were excessively aware of Lucien's presence in the room. The silence increased and the murmuring decreased. Every head was down.

I licked my lips and glanced at the amber eyed Shifter from the corner of my eye to see his face a mask of utter desolation, sharpness and ice his companions. "Get into the line and finish up with your food quickly." He gestured towards the line of slaves and maids getting food. I started heading there when Lucien stopped me with his sword on my shoulder.

I blinked, suddenly afraid whether my roasting him with sarcasm was going to make him finally take my life.

No!

Then he called out to a passing servant girl, "Hey, you."

She stopped short, and slowly raised her eyes a bit. "Y-yes?" She was cowering in fear.

Lucien gestured towards me, "You're under Milla, right? Take this girl with you afterwards. Milla knows of her arriving already."

The brunette nodded submissively, "of course, General." She slipped away to come to my side.

Lucien nodded, satisfied then gave me a look filled with hints of amusement and daring urges but only under a layer of cold frost.

"Don't try anything funny, pet and survive the day. Wouldn't want my only source of entertainment dead in a day, now would we?"

Before I could respond with something he wouldn't even be able to understand, he was heading out and the brunette nudged me towards the line. Calling out to the General wasn't really an option either so I did what I could.

I went along.

Don't worry, General. I won't be dying anytime soon. But you better start looking out.

•○•

AN~

I know, I know, not a long or filling chapter but don't worry you're gonna love the next one cuz someone's gonna enter. A new character!

Stay with me and spread the book! Let me know your thoughts and drop a comment. Don't forget to vote!

~Skyler

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro