1. He Knows Something

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

My unease grew as the day progressed. I could see the setting sun from the tenth-story office window and knew something wasn't right, even if I couldn't tell what was wrong. A sensation of impending doom had followed me from home. And work was the farthest thing from my mind.

Glancing at the table calendar, I noticed the date. It was 25th June 2025 and in five short days, we would present our software to our clients. Like most things in life, it was a risky project but also potentially groundbreaking. Its controversial nature meant we couldn't afford mistakes.

I stared blankly at the wall bare of any decoration and inwardly cursed at my gift that helped me see glimpses of the near future. Tapping my foot, I drummed my fingers on the table.

It was no wonder that Nate noticed my agitation from behind his desk on the other side of the spacious office. "Why do you look so worried? We have done this before. I'm sure you can handle a small glitch in the system."

He was right, and my worry had nothing to do with the problem with the computer system. Things like these happened all the time, and that's why Nate employed an unrivaled IT team. He was a finance manager and I was a computer programmer but not an ordinary one.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. "It's not about the project." I clarified, and said, "I just don't know what's been bothering me since morning. But I feel as if someone is watching me and something bad is about to happen."

If anyone could understand my apprehension, it was Nate. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to be in an understanding mood. "You're not a fortune teller, Waheeb. And we don't have time to waste. So, let's focus on the task at hand. Can you do that for me?" He looked me straight in the eyes as he demanded an answer.

I slumped further into the soft cushion of the chair. Betrayal washed over me, and I couldn't comprehend why his response made me feel that way. Even though he was usually supportive whenever I shared my premonitions with him, he was my boss, and we were at work.

The project we were working on was something that would change lives for many. A government agency hired us to develop and test software that could detect and prevent cyberattacks on critical infrastructure.

Someone tried to sabotage our work, but I was able to salvage most of it. The stakes were high and we faced competition from a rival company. More than that, I was passionate about it because it would help people. And I felt it was as close as I could come to using my ability for the good of the world.

I was grateful to Nate for giving me something meaningful and challenging to concentrate on. He was a brilliant and charismatic leader, who had a vision for the future and a knack for solving problems. I admired his adventurous and optimistic side, which had him looking for new opportunities and experiences.

Trying to understand his point of view, I said, "You're right, of course. It's just that I'm having a hard time focusing on the computer screen. My mind is miles away. You know I'm rarely wrong when it comes to my instincts. I don't know why the world wants me to know every bad thing that happens here." I shrugged helplessly, defending the feeling of wrongness in the pit of my stomach.

Nate was silent for a while. Then he stood up and came to sit on the chair beside mine. "Okay, let's talk first. Tell me exactly what you think is wrong. Maybe we can find a solution and stop whatever is about to happen." He paused for a few seconds and must have seen the fear in my eyes because his tone softens even more when he said, "So, what do you think it is? An earthquake? Maybe a flood somewhere? We can report it anonymously, and someone will solve the problem. There are departments to deal with such things, you know."

"No, nothing like that." My frustration with myself grew. "It's not like before. I can't say anything specific because I don't know what's coming or where. Perhaps something disastrous has already happened. Just..." I shook my head, but it didn't help me clear my thoughts. "I don't know. It's just an intense feeling of dread." I probably sounded like a child, but I couldn't help the whine.

If it were anyone else, I might have felt embarrassed at how I behaved, but Nate wasn't just my boss or a close friend. He was like a brother to me, who knew all my flaws and accepted me despite them. It might sound cliche, but he was the closest thing to a family I had. He would never judge me for something out of my control.

"This won't do," he said, a frown appearing on his smooth skin. "Waheeb, if you don't know what it is, then there is no need to worry. You should focus on your work instead, and it might help you feel better. Besides, you're the only one who can rewrite the program before the deadline. I'm counting on you. And we can't solve what we don't know. This," he pointed at the computer screen, "is something we know. Let's do what we can instead of worrying about the unknown. Do you think you can manage that?" He gave me a hopeful look.

I could understand his dilemma. The only other programmer we had was on vacation. It was up to me to meet the looming deadline that had all of us on edge. There was no point in adding to our worries by thinking of the unknown and the unseen. But that's who I was; a worrier. For as long as I remember, I could predict the near future. But only the worst things. My sixth sense was better than any weather forecasting or disaster prediction service. If it involved impending deaths or destruction on a mass scale, no matter what part of the world the incident would hit, I knew before it happened.

As a child, I made the mistake of sharing my predictions with others, but it landed me in therapy. These days, I kept my worries to myself and focused on developing software that would take care of the predictions for me. Strange how it was easier to believe computer software than a living breathing human. But people trusted science more than human instincts. I was okay with it because telling others about my ability only brought negative attention, which I didn't need. Nate was the only exception. And that was why I expected him to understand how I felt and why I couldn't focus on work. Yet, I also understood he was running a company and couldn't give his employees leeway.

After another deep breath, I said, "I'm trying, but it's not easy. You know how I get when I have one of my feelings, as you call them. It's not like I can turn it off." He knew I wasn't pretending.

"We can't afford mistakes. So, please, try harder."

It was nice of him to add please even though he didn't have to. I mustered a smile and said, "Yes, boss."

We made a great team, but we also had our differences. I was cautious and meticulous, always checking for errors and bugs in the code. He was impulsive and creative, urging us to add new features and functions to the software. I was introverted and reserved, preferring to work alone or with him in our office. He was extroverted and sociable, enjoying networking and pitching our product to potential clients and investors.

We complemented each other well, but we also clashed sometimes. I would get frustrated with his recklessness and lack of attention to detail. He would get annoyed with my nervousness and lack of confidence. We would argue and debate over technical issues or business decisions, but we would always respect the other's opinions and skills. Whatever else happened, I could be sure of one thing at least; we would always have each other's back. The thought calmed my ruffled feathers, and once again, I tried to focus on the computer before me and forced myself to stop thinking about the fear that had my heart in a vise-like grip, making me drown in my fear.

And that was the story of my life. Whenever I needed to focus on my work, I worried about something entirely inconsequential. Although my premonitions were never wrong, usually, they were more specific. I didn't know how, but I could accurately predict many things that would happen soon. However, this time I had no idea what was wrong. I only knew that whatever it was, it might change my life forever. Maybe it would alter all our lives and not for the better. My only hope was that I was wrong about it. And nothing would happen.

I had work to do and, despite my anxiety issues, was determined to do it. Such problems were mine to deal with, and my workplace had no room for them.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro