11 - Tempting Proposals

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I catch up with Miguel the next morning as he's about to leave his office. The older guy who was also there when he had the meeting with Tomás is with him and stops mid-sentence as soon as I appear. Arms folded, he glares at me with tight lips. Though I have no clue what I could've done to upset him, the animosity is palpable.

"I'll see you later, Commandante." He stalks off without giving me the benefit of another glance.

"Who was that?"

"General Pablo Varela. He's our head of military and my father's security advisor." Miguel casually flings his arm around my shoulders and guides me away from his office.

"I don't think he likes me."

"Don't take it personally. He's suspicious of everyone. It's his nature."

My brows scrunch together. "But why he is suspicious of me?"

"Because you are an American. For him, you are all spies who help the rebels. He's even trying to stop the American teachers from coming into the country to help out in the orphanage."

"I think that's a mistake. It's so much better if kids learn a language from a native speaker."

"That's actually a really good point. I should tell my dad."

His words awaken a sense of achievement in me. No one has ever cared about my opinions.

"Don't. He'll probably think it's stupid."

"Hey." He stops and cups his hands around my shoulders, shaking me gently. "Don't put yourself down. You are full of good ideas."

My skin tingles under his intense gaze. "How do you know?"

"Because you are a wonderful woman. You have compassion—and you're smart."

Heat stings my cheeks. He shouldn't compliment me. It's embarrassing and I doubt he truly means it. "So what are your plans for us today?"

"Let's switch around the schedule and go to the shooting range this morning. My dad is taking my stepmom to an event this afternoon, so we'll have the mansion all to ourselves."

"Sounds good."

Five minutes later, I'm prepped with earmuffs and goggles and raise the gun for the first round of shots. Raine's gaze is glued to the side of my face as I empty the magazine into the target; when I turn my head, she glares at me with envy.

I load fresh bullets into the magazine and glance at Miguel. "Why don't the other foreign girls use the shooting range?"

"Because they aren't allowed to."

"Then why doesn't that apply to me?"

"Because I said so." He wraps his arms around me from behind and nibbles my ear.

I twitch. "Don't, Miguel. We're in public."

"And? I want the world to know how crazy I'm about you."

"It bothers me." My cheeks heat and I tighten the grip around the gun. "Besides, it's distracting."

"Okay, point taken." He steps back, his low chuckle setting off flurries in my abdomen that distract me even more.

Raising the gun, I try to steady my trembling hand. The first two shots only scrape the top of the target before I regain my rhythm. Raine's gaze hasn't strayed once; it's empowering to be allowed to do something she is not. After I empty the magazine once again, I can't help but shoot her a gloating smile. It feels so amazing to be good at something, even if pride is a sin and I shouldn't be a show-off.

The clearing of a throat has my focus shift to the other side of me. One of Tomás's cold smirks plays on his lips. "Pretty decent shot for a woman."

"I think Stacy is doing excellent." Miguel beams at me as he refocuses on Tomás. "Do you need something?"

"I'm drawing up next month's patrol schedules for the fields and want to place some of the new recruits in the teams to show them the ropes. Just need your approval."

"Aren't some of them little kids?" I pipe in before Miguel has time to respond.

"Yeah, there are a few younger ones." Tomás narrow his eyes. "What difference does it make?"

I picture my brother, Owen, having to patrol a field in full gear. It's downright cruel to expect this from a child. "I think they're too small. Can't they just help around the compound?"

"No one cares what you think."

"That's enough, Tomás." Miguel's words drip with venom, enough to send a shudder down my spine. "I think Stacy is right. Those kids deserve a break."

Tomás arches a brow. "You let your girlfriend make decisions now?"

"I said it's enough." Miguel glares at Tomás without even blinking. "That will be all, Mayor Araya."

Tomás turns on his heel; as he walks off, his mumbled Spanish causes Miguel to suck in a deep breath.

"Qué cabrón."

His eyes hold the same darkness as the first day I met him, and I instinctively cower, shrinking into myself. "Please, don't let him spoil the day."

As if awakening from a daze, Miguel smiles. "You're right. Life's too short. It's just that Tomás knows how to push my buttons. He's mad that I sent Felipe into the mountains and he lost his drinking buddy, so he has been itching to get back at me."

"Well, once I'm gone, Felipe can come back."

Miguel nuzzles his face into my hair. "I'm really gonna miss you."

"We still have a few days."

"Yeah, and let's enjoy every second."

Despite his last words, a bittersweet shadow seems to follow us around after that. Every hour we have fun together also signals an hour closer to my departure. I find myself dreading the moment whenever I see my suitcase. Will our long-distance relationship survive, or will I lose him the second I step onto the plane?

The day before I'm scheduled to depart, he suggests we go to the market in town. "A few times a year, farmers and merchants come in from Peru for various celebrations. Malaguay's Independence Day is only a few days away, so people will go out of their way to get ready."

When we pull up in the Jeep beside the church, the city is no longer recognizable. Colorful decorations line the streets, and laughter and chatter fill the air. Children run around boisterously; the strain that is usually on the hardworking faces of Malaguian citizens has been replaced by joy.

We enter the marketplace and stroll alongside the booths. Miguel keeps his hand on my lower back. When people stare openly, I hardly notice. I'm so used to it by now. This vacation has done wonders for my self-esteem, and the burden that used to force me to keep my head down has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm not looking forward to facing my parents; they will just bawl me out again. Standing up to them will be a challenge, even after everything I've learned in Malaguay.

The market square has been converted into an ordinary farmer's market, offering everything from basic meats and vegetables to small, intricate jewelry. Since I'd love to get my mom a bracelet as a peace offering, I halt in front of a stall to admire the display. Without exception, the silver pieces look handmade with predominantly blue and red stones and fine inlays.

"Which one do you like?" Miguel's lips tickle my earlobe as he sways me gently from left to right.

For a second, I close my eyes and allow myself to be carried away by the moment. I'm going to miss him so much. "You're distracting me again."

"Really?" He pulls me closer, his hot breath making me shiver. "Maybe that's the plan. I wouldn't mind distracting you enough for you to miss your plane."

I giggle before ducking down, finally getting enough distance between us to focus on the jewelry. When he takes a step closer, I wiggle my brows with a challenging grin, shaking my head.

He laughs and throws up his hands. "I surrender. I'll let you buy your gifts in peace." He engages the stall owner in a conversation in Spanish, probably already asking about prices.

I trace my fingers over a plain silver band with a deep-blue oval stone. "What type of stone is this?"

"It's a lapis lazuli," a voice answers from behind me.

I spin around and find a human wall who forces me to raise my chin quite a bit to find his eyes. The guy is at least two heads taller than me and would've made a great basketball player, although his broad shoulders and muscular body that seem to be made of steel could give him a certain edge in the boxing ring. If his eyes hadn't been so warm, he would've scared the crap out of me.

"Pearson, what are you doing here?" Miguel folds his arms. His face is strained; he definitely doesn't like him.

Pearson's gaze briefly diverts from my face to Miguel's before returning to mine. "Not that it's any of your business, but I'm picking up some cakes for the orphanage." He smiles at me. "Don't you want to introduce me to your friend?"

"No." The word is hissed and has a certain finality to it.

"Well, I guess I'll have to do the honors then." He extends his hand. "I'm Pearson Moore."

My smile is fake as I shake his hand. "Stacy Degray."

Next to me, Miguel sucks in a sharp breath.

Pearson holds onto my hand even though I try to pull away. "You're American?"

"Yes."

"Me too."

The awkward silence is pressing. I should probably ask where he is from in the States, but the words are stuck in my throat. When I pull harder to free myself from his grip, he finally lets go.

Miguel's arms immediately circle me from behind, protecting me in his embrace. The forced smile stays on my lips until my face hurts while Pearson continues to stare at me.

Why doesn't he leave?

Miguel is frozen in place and offers no help.

Pearson finally breaks eye contact. "Well, I'd better run. It was nice meeting you, Stacy."

"Same here." A small sigh leaves my lips as he disappears in the crowd. "He was" —I search for the right word—"odd."

"He's former military and thinks we owe him some special favor because he runs the orphanage." Miguel's voice is laced with anger. "Lately, he's become quite cocky since the new ambassador is an old friend of his. He's as good as untouchable."

I cup my hands around Miguel's neck and pull him closer, kissing the tip of his nose. "I'm sorry he upset you."

Just as before, the anger vanishes from his face. "Let's just forget about him." He turns me back to the jewelry stand. "Do you want to get the bracelet for your mom?"

"Yeah, I think so. Can you ask how much it is?"

"Don't worry about it." He pulls out his wallet, engaging in a quick conversation with the seller in Spanish.

I zone out as I scan the other jewelry. A necklace in the shape of a flower catches my eye. The petals are made of the same blue stone as my mom's bracelet with little sparkly stones in between. "Oh, how pretty." It looks very expensive and I probably couldn't afford it.

"How about I get that for you, so you have something to remember me by?" Miguel's lips brush my cheek, and he sways me again in his arms.

When my words fail me, I silently nod, the hitch that warns of oncoming tears already in my throat. I don't want to leave him. The items are wrapped in little boxes and money exchanges hands; to my surprise, the bills are dollars, and the total is much less than I expected.

Miguel captures my hand as we continue our stroll. "Are you hungry?"

On cue, my stomach grumbles. "Yeah, but can we eat somewhere other than the compound?" I want to spend as much alone-time with him as possible.

"No problem. Let's go to Coabe."

Coabe has become my favorite restaurant of the three available in Malaguay. It's nestled in the mountains right on the outskirts of the city with a small terrace and an even smaller dining room. The view is amazing and the food is absolutely divine. It could easily compete with a four-star restaurant in the US.

We are the only guests that early in the day and settle for a large salad and soup. Miguel stares at the mountains with one of his brooding faces. I let him be, afraid he might get mad if I pester him with questions.

"Is everything all right?" I carefully probe over dessert.

He exhales with a sigh. "It's nothing."

"It doesn't look like nothing to me."

Despite the tension on his face, his eyes hold a warmness that makes my heart beat faster. "I don't want to spoil the mood."

"If something is bothering you, you should tell me. Girlfriends are good listeners."

His gaze moves back to the mountains. "It's Pearson. He brought back some pretty bad memories."

"What happened?"

"He was there the night my mother was murdered." A slight tremble has snuck into his voice. "It was customary back then that boys were turned over to him to keep them at the orphanage. He took Felipe, but when the soldiers told him they were going to interrogate me, he didn't even try to fight them."

"But you were only eight."

"At the time, my father was the most hunted man in Malaguay, so it didn't matter." The despair on his face makes me cringe. "And you might know, when a soldier says interrogate, he means torture. Pearson was a former Marine and knew exactly what they would do to me. All the Malaguian soldiers back then were US-trained and didn't fart without their permission."

A lump builds in my throat. "What do you mean by torture?"

He rubs his eyes but can't hide the tears. "You know those scars on my back. They are whipping marks . . . from a real whip. The rest of the time, they locked me up in a casket half my size. I was scared of the dark and small places, so it was absolute hell."

His words make me sick. "Why would they do that?"

"At first, they wanted to know where my father was, but when they realized that I honestly had no clue, they kept me to draw him out. They whipped me publicly, so he would know how much I was suffering."

"And did he help you?"

He shakes his head, this time not able to hold back a few tears. "They would've killed us both. It would've been pointless."

My words fail me. Even though I understand his father's motives, it's still disturbing that he just abandoned his son and didn't even try to save him. "How did you get away in the end?"

"I suppose that after a while, they figured that their plan wasn't working, so they gave me one more good beating and left me for dead in the middle of the mountains. That night, the cougars almost got me, but then General Varela found me and brought me to his camp. I was reunited with my dad and trained as a soldier. That pretty much sums it up." He sips from his coffee before setting it down too hard. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to tell you this and spoil your last day."

I swallow down my own tears. "I'm so sorry this happened to you, Miguel."

"It was a long time ago. Usually, I don't think about it, but when I run into someone like Pearson, the memories flood back." He pulls my hand to his lips and traces little kisses along my wrist. "You know, I've never told the story to anyone, not even my dad." His gaze is fixed on me. "It's because I love you, Stacy."

My heart skips a couple of beats and I gasp. "Miguel."

"Don't feel obliged to say it back. I know we've only known each other for a short while, but for me, this is the real deal. It kills me that we might never see each other again after you leave tomorrow."

My mind races at mega speed. These last two weeks have been a constant roller coaster from my first kiss with Felipe to Charo's attempted rape, to the most amazing days spent with Miguel. Somewhere in between, I've fallen in love with him, too. He makes me happy in all respects, and I've never felt better about myself.

"I love you too, Miguel, I really do."

His face lights up. "Then why don't you stay?" When my face twists, he quickly adds, "At least for a little while."

If I'm truthful to myself, there's nothing for me back home in Indiana except for problems. My parents are likely still livid about me sneaking off with nothing but a note on my pillow, and I bet there's constant fighting about Lauren, if they haven't split altogether. The call with my mother made it abundantly clear that she won't let me live down this latest disappointment without a few fights. The only thing waiting for me is community college, which seems more of a drag than a viable start to my career. I have no idea what I want to do with my life, but my parents' plan for me to get a degree, followed by a nine-to-five job until I marry a guy from our church and bear his children, is definitely not it. For once, I want to choose for myself what's best for me.

"How would that work? I know you have your own job, and I don't want to hang around with Raine and the other girls at the compound all day. If I stay, I want something to do."

"There aren't a lot of opportunities in Malaguay, especially for women, but considering what a natural you are at the range, you could join the army and earn your own wages. Of course, I can't give you preferential treatment. You'd have to go through basic training and work your way up the ranks just like anyone else. It's tough, but I'm sure you can do it."

The military—my secret dream. After undergoing weapons training these last few days, I'm more convinced than ever that it's a good fit for me. Being a soldier will give me independence, especially from my parents, and since I'm starting out with basic training like the rest, we will only be measured by our accomplishments. For once, I'll be judged by my own performance without the constant comparison to my perfect siblings. It's truly a fresh start.

"And after basic training, I would join the patrol under Juana?"

"Forget Juana. She has been reassigned. Once you are fully trained, you'd be in charge of your own patrol. The only limitation is active battle."

The idea is growing on me. If I were in charge, I could show more compassion than Juana, plus the basic training sounds like an amazing opportunity.

"And during basic training, I'll be treated like the rest? No exceptions."

"You'd have the same status as any other soldier in Malaguay."

The exhilaration trembling in my next breath is as sweet as the last piece of cheesecake I slide into my mouth. This is really what I've been looking for something to do until I can figure out what's right for me. No more pressure from anyone to make decisions I'm not prepared to make. Besides, if things don't work out in Malaguay, I can still try college, but the opportunity to train as a soldier will never arise again.

The small nods of my head become more enthusiastic as the notion settles in my mind. This will be good for me.

"And the best part is, we'll be together." A hopeful smile curls Miguel's lips. "This could be our shot at a real future. It would mean the world to me."

I couldn't agree more. It's a win-win situation all around, and I ignore the little objecting voice in the back of my mind, cautioning me that I'm rushing into things.

"Okay, I'll stay."

He shouts in elation, grinning from ear to ear. He rushes over to me and pulls me into his arms. As he spins me around faster and faster, I get dizzy, though his excitement is catching. When he stops and steadies me, I'm out of breath from the bubbling excitement.

He strokes my cheek. "I really love you, Stacy."

Before I can respond, our lips connect. In that moment, everything else in the world dissolves, the little nagging voice drowned out by emotion. My whole heart soaks in his passion and desire, my body aching for his firm embrace.

When we break apart, his wide smile returns. "Let's get your stuff and move you into the mansion."

"I thought you said I wouldn't get preferential treatment."

"I meant as a soldier." His nudge is playful. "But you're my girlfriend, so certain privileges come with that. Do you want to call your parents and let them know?"

I cringe at the suggestion. Having another fight with my mom will just spoil my good mood. "An email will be enough. Maybe we could type it out together?" Since I have no idea how to break the news to them, I really hope he'll help me.

"Gladly."

With that out of the way, nothing could possibly stop me. My gaze comes to rest on the mountains and I soak up their beauty.

"So this is my new home?"

"And it can be your home forever, if you want it to be."

~~~~

© Sal Mason 2017

This work is protected by copyright and should not be copied, downloaded, translated or used in any way without my expressed consent. Please don't steal it. Thank you!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro