6 | a good name is better than riches

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

❝He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more; He who loses faith, loses all.❞
— Eleanor Roosevelt

6 || a good name is better than riches
time || midday

"You really didn't have to say anything," Brolin says over the loud rap music. "I find it cute, how you were lying to me, about your age."

The music player in his cousin's car is fucked up. The nobs to turn the volume and station are both broken.

Once Brolin had started the engine, we couldn't find a way to turn off the music. We even tried ejecting whatever cd Fern had in here, but it's acting as if it can't even do that.

I keep pressing the eject button, only so I can be able to retort without having to shout. Damn CD player, I think. I wouldn't have minded walking (the tread to the mall hadn't been bad), even though it's hot out. I took off the cardigan that I was wearing from this morning and left it with Fern at the arcade. We'll be back later, considering the mall closes around midnight and Brolin has to get his old clothes back from him, anyway.

I don't want Brolin to think I'm ignoring him. This music is obnoxious and it's giving me a headache. I'm only thankful that it's old-school rap and not that horrible stuff we call music today. Must I mention, the rapper is actually rapping about a serious subject that goes with today's America such as poverty and hard times, which also matches with the situation I'm dealing with at the moment.

I don't find the rap too obnoxious, only the volume.

I then start to hit the CD player with my phone. Maybe me doing this, will make the cd come out. In favorable circumstances, the knobs would be working, and I would've just had to turn the music down.

"I hope your cousin won't mind me doing this!" I shout above the music, which is something I didn't want to have to do.

Brolin laughs. "He won't care! This car was fucked up way before we even got in here!"

I laugh.

After I hit the CD player a few more times, the cd finally ejects and the music stops. I'm too absorbed in my achievement, that I don't see Brolin freaking out in the driver's seat.

Before I'm even able to ask him "what's wrong?" I hear a police-siren wailing in the background.

:: :: ::

"Do you know why you were pulled over?"

My heart's beating rapidly against my chest, to the point where I'm afraid it's going to pop out.

I've never been pulled over by the police in someone else's car, before.

Brolin has his hands on the wheel. "Honestly, no," he tells the cop.

"The tags to this vehicle are expired."

I look down at my hands. I don't have my license, I've been meaning to get them by the time college comes around. But I've been procrastinating. So I only have my school ID on me.

"And who's this in the car with you?"

I turn around and look at the cop. A slim older man with thinning blonde hair, and a little stumble.

"My girlfriend and me are rushing to visit my grandpa in the hospital," Brolin answers.

The only lie in that statement is the girlfriend part.

The officer then asks for a license and registration. That's when I get this niche that things aren't going to turn out well.

"This is my cousin's car," Brolin tells the cop as he's looking through many compartments; the sun visor, the glove box, the console...

We're going to jail today.

"Hey, are you a friend of Justice Moore?"

I quickly turn and stare at the cop, who's staring back at me. Now that I think about it, he does look awfully familiar.

I nod. "Yes sir," I say. "yeah, I am."

The officer smiles. "Lucky for you," he slightly chuckles, "I remember you from her family's get together last year. I'm Justice's uncle."

I smile a wide smile.

"I'll let you go. But..." he throws Brolin a stern look, who flashes him a wry grin. "Next time you borrow your cousin's car, make sure they have their tags changed."

"Yes sir," Brolin nods his head.

We then watch the cop get back in his car and drive away. And that's when I'm able to let out the air I realize I hadn't been holding in.

When I see Brolin do the same. I laugh.

A/N: PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE, COMMENT, OR FOLLOW.

Yes, I'm talking to YOU silent readers.

I reply to feedback.

A/N: Don't forget to check out our two COMPLETED stories:

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro