Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Wedding Bells

Chapter 20

*6 months later*

The trees whistle in the wind, the cool spring breeze tossing their new leaves around. My heart was filled with so much joy to be here. It had been the longest last few months of my life. Dealing with all the hospital visits for my mom. But we were here, and we made it here a month sooner than we thought we would. Really when the visits starting ramping up for our sweet baby.

I placed my hand on my stomach feeling the movement of my baby, as it swirls around inside me. Their tiny little feet caressing my bladder in the most annoying way possible. I placed some pressure on the lower portion of my stomach bulge. Hoping to calm the little guy or gal down.

We had decided not to find out the gender of the baby until the baby shower in a month or so. We wanted to leave it a surprise for as long as possible but still wanted to give ourselves some time to prepare and decorate the room for the gender of the baby.

The wind blows my hair around my face as I look around the party. So happy to see so many smiling faces.

I was so proud of my mom. She was a fighter up until she didn't need to be anymore and then she kept going. Somehow the cancer had cleared up a lot quicker than we thought it was going to. Her body fighting it off as if it had all of the strength in the world to do so.

I could't be more ecstatic to hear the news and I still remember the feeling coursing through my veins when she did. Just a little over a week ago my mother got a bill of clean health. Meaning her life would go back to normal once again.

We couldn't be more proud of her in her journey. She took on so many things that I could barely keep up with her in my simple pregnancy. I found she was leaping ahead of me as if I was running a three legged race and she was standing strong on her own two feet.

I shook my head, leaning into Carter for some support. My knees aching as the baby shifts yet again. I was going to need to sit down soon, but the more I shifted the worst things got.

"Erin are you alright?" Carter asked, placing his hand on the small of my back. It was rather welcoming. His hand holding me steady. I nodded trying my best to make it seem like everything was fine. I was on the later end of being seven months pregnant. Closer to eight if you ask me.

The morning sickness had settled, thank god for that, as the first month was just the calm before the storm. Clara really stepped up to take over the shop for me while I was ill. Running it to the same standards my father would have wanted it to be.

"Is it a little strange that your mother planned this party all by herself?" Carter whispers taking my hand and leading me towards a seat. Things weren't perfect between us but they were getting better. We were working on living together trying our best to fix those habits that drove the other one wild. It might take us a little while longer to get used to things.

"Pah-lease, do you even know my mom? She had this planned before she even got diagnosed with cancer," I teased, elbowing Carter slightly. He rolls his eyes in response reminding me why I love him.

"Yeah yeah, I guess you are right, that was always like her,"

Carter rubs my back for a moment and Clara rushes up with David tugging along by her side. My heart was racing as they showed up. Carter had told me David was planning on proposing and keeping the secret from my best friend was nearly impossible for me.

I shot Carter a look, a look only he knew what meant. He nods, informing me that he had my back on keeping this a secret. In case I started to accidentally slip.

I had to limit my conversations with Clara for this very reason, which only made her want to talk to me more. She was a ray of sunshine wrapped up in a ball of fiery passion, and you didn't ignore fiery passion.

I chuckled at my own joke causing Clara to cock her head to the side.

"What's so funny you two?" She waived her finger in the air as if she was going to catch us in the act. As if on command Carter and I both raise our hands in the air, showing we were innocent. Clara crosses her arms, leaning against the table we were sitting on before finally taking the seat next to me.

"What are you two up to?" I question trying to make some small talk.

Once again the four of us found ourselves at a party my mother had thrown for mostly her friends. The punch was spiked on purpose, the streamers non existent as my mother thought that was so last season, and the balloons tied to all the tables in the backyard were perfectly staggered showing an array of colors. My mother was very keen on details especially when it came to a party.

"We were just swinging in for a few moments before heading out, apparently David has an amazing date planned for us," Clara beamed for a moment holding her hands in the air as if that would help her celebrate. David nodded his head, winking at Carter as if to tell him the plan was on.

I saw the wink and nearly collapsed as I jumped out of my seat letting a scream out into the air. My heart was filled with so much joy that I wouldn't have to keep the secret much longer. Carter grabbed my arm tugging me back down on the bench next to him.

"You are acting weird," He whispers in my ear, Clara watching carefully as this happens.

"Actually you both are acting weird," She smiled grabbing both of our cheeks as if we were children to her. Squeezing them and cooing at as she leaned back, finally letting our poor skin go.

"I don't know why she keeps doing that," David shrugged as if he needed to apologize for his psychotic girlfriend soon to be fiance. Another wave of excitement flooded through my veins at the thought of my best friend finally getting married. We would be able to go on double dates finally... I mean sure we already went on dates but now we would both be married and it would be the same as that horrendous time Clara and my mother made me sign up for Tinder.

I scoffed at the idea of the dating app, most of everything I'd seen on there was awful but it did introduce me to Andrew, and up until the end he was truly amazing. I turned to look at Carter, his sharp jawline staring back at me. I still felt horrible the guilt building up in my chest that I never told him Andrew and I had kissed that night I went to see him.

I needed to tell him, and right now wasn't the time but if I didn't tell him soon things were only going to get worse. Andrew had continued to call me the last few months. Trying to get in contact with me.

I had forgotten I deleted his number the first time he called. Answering the phone, I was shocked to hear his voice on the other end. Almost annoyed that he was still trying. I'd ignored his texts, what would it take for him to get the message. But for some reason he really seemed to want to get in contact with me.

He sounded so excited the day I had answered the phone. Almost as if he was about to pass out. He spent the full minute celebrating that eventually I just hung up, and even though I still felt horrible about it, Carter seemed to be pleased it happened.

"Erin, are you even listening to me?" Clara mutters waving her hand in front of my face. Carter nudges me lightly, before leaning in to whisper once more.

"Honey, you are doing it again," I shake my head pulling myself out of my thoughts. I didn't want to sit and think about Andrew on a beautiful day like this. I wanted to enjoy the sunshine. Feel the breeze on my skin, and I guess hang out with my mother's friends.

"No sorry, I didn't hear a thing you guys just said," I could feel the blush rushing to my cheeks. I wouldn't normally had zoned out like that, but my pregnancy brain was really getting the better of me. Clara placed her hands on my stomach looking down as if she could see the baby inside.

"That's cause this little guy is stealing all of your brain to make his own," I shook my head looking at her.

"How do you know it's a little guy?" I squinted my eyes at her as if I was interrogating her. Now it was her turn to throw her hands in the air to show us she was innocent.

"I don't know I swear, but I sure wish you would tell us what it is, I can't wait until next month for the baby shower," I nodded my head smiling.

"Okay, come closer, I guess I can tell you what it is," I pause waiting for her to get close enough I could whisper it without Carter hearing. He leans forward as if he was ready for the juicy secret as well. I slapped him away grabbing my friends face before putting my lips close to hers.

"The truth is Clara I'm having a..." I paused for a moment for dramatic effect as she bounces up and down in excitement. "Baby... honest, I don't know what the gender is. It's in an envelope in our house and I haven't looked. I've been waiting,"

I couldn't help but laugh at the frustration on her face. She seemed destroyed by my little joke. David shook his head, as if he was disappointed in me.

"You Erin Rose are so evil," He mutters staring down at me with those fatherly eyes. I shrug my shoulders, allowing them to sweat it out for a couple more weeks.

"Sorry, what can I say, gotta get my game face on for this little munchkin," I mumbled pointing towards my stomach.

"Alright fine, well, I guess we are going to head out of here then,"

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bummed they were leaving so early, but I knew they had plans, and hopefully Clara would love them as much as David hoped she would. Tonight I should be getting a phone call from her boasting about how romantic it was.

When that time came, I would act surprised as if I didn't know he was going to do it in the first place.

We hung around the party for a few more hours before heading out. I knew my mother would be there almost all night, catching up with friends that she saw only at these parties.

My eyes were growing heavy, even though it wasn't that late in the day. I found I was needed naps in the afternoon just to make it through my day.

The music of the car stereo was playing, and I picked up my phone to pick the next song when it started ringing. I couldn't believe it.

Andrews name came up on the screen and as calmly as Carter could he smashed his finger into the screen to hit the answer button. My heart leaps into my throat. There was no way this was going to end well.

"Andrew, you need to stop calling me," I stepped in before Carter could even think about getting a few words in. I looked at him, my finger silencing him as I begged for him stay quiet. Andrew took a few moments to ponder before he finally spoke up.

"Erin, I miss you so much and I can't stop thinking about you and that night you came to see me," I shook my head. Did Andrew know Carter was in the car? I couldn't be more annoyed right now, the anger building up in both Carter and I.

I could feel it in the air. Carter was ready to explode any second, but I placed my hand on his leg trying my best to calm him down.

"Well you need to stop. I'm married, and pregnant, starting a family of my own and you should be doing the same. Not following me around a year and a half later. I'm in love, and happy, do not ruin that for me. If you care about me you wouldn't ruin that,"

There was another long silent pause. It was so quiet in the car you could hear Carter gritting his teeth together, sawing at them as if it was the last thing he would do. I squeezed his leg once again reminding him that I was there for him. We were in this together.

"Why would I do that, I believe we could still make things work." Carter couldn't take it anymore, and maybe it was for the better that he exploded now. Maybe finally Andrew would leave me alone.

"Back the hell off Andrew!" Carter nearly screamed, his words filled with so much power it shook the car.

"Oh Carter..." Another long pause, and this time I could see the veins popping out on Carter's forehead. I reached for the red circle on the car phone. The one that would end this awful conversation before it got too bad. But Carter smacked my hand away, looking at me as if I was the sin in this world. "How can you be so selfish. Erin and I were happy and she had to go to California,"

I wasn't sure what kind of rise Andrew was trying to get out of Carter, but in this fight I was on Carter's side. It was unfair for Andrew to assume that would be any different. My heart was racing, just hoping things would calm down before they got much worse.

"What do you mean you two were so happy, she wouldn't have kissed me in California if you really made her so happy, I'm pretty she spent most of her time in her hotel room moping about how big of a douche-bag you were to her, so don't you dare tell me what would make my WIFE happy,"

"So then why did she kiss me when she returned from California?" There it was. The sentence that would end this fight faster than it had started. The feeling of regret washing over me as I realized I should have told Carter sooner. He had no fight left in him at this point. The realization, the anger, his mind jumping to assumptions faster than he would breathe.

"Andrew, you know that is not how it happened, and that is uncalled for from you, I wish to never speak to you again!" I shouted into the car phone. Pressing my finger against the red button. It didn't matter though, the damage was done. Another crack in our marriage, laying just below the surface.

Carter looked straight ahead his jaw just as tense as when he was speaking to Andrew. I needed to say something, but I wasn't sure anything would justify me not telling him earlier.

"It truly meant nothing to me, he was so fragile, so broken, he begged me for just on last kiss before I was gone. He promised me he would never speak to me again, but obviously that wasn't the case."

Carter shook his head, turning onto our street.

"Erin Rose, why did you kiss him that night after the couple of weeks we had in California. Did none of that matter to you? Hadn't you learned your lesson on what kissing other guys could do to your relationships-"

I cut him off right there. He had no right to speak to me like that. No right to act like he was better than me. He left his own engagement for the very same reason. Granted one he had just barely gotten into, but it was just as serious. He had no right to treat me like he was a king.

"Don't talk to me like that, when you did the very same thing with Kylie," We sat in silence for a moment. My tears burning my eyes. I hated how emotional I'd become since becoming pregnant.

"No Erin, it is not, because I didn't kiss her after we decided we were going to try us. Decided to try this out,"

"What do you want me to do?" I couldn't go back and erase what happened. I thought he had come to terms with it, but I guess that was all just a lie. He hadn't really decided to forgive me.

Or maybe he had and I was just the worst wife that was known the man. My heart was breaking as he placed the car in park. Neither of us moving, both frozen by our own emotions.

What were we supposed to do now? Sit? Listen to music? Move past this like it didn't happen? What could you do?

I reached across the car trying to grab Carter's hand but he pushed me away. Denying my signs of affection. My heart ached. We had been doing so good, working through our issues, trying to be better. Andrew comes along and with one phrase it was like we were back on square one. Fighting harder than we ever had before.

"Carter, I think we need to go to therapy."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro