Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The noise around me feels awkwardly exciting. I look around and wonder what people are thinking. Jack's getting us drinks and I'm sitting by myself, quietly hoping that someone will approach me, but it doesn't happen. Jack comes back with our drinks and I continue to look around.

"We should be mingling on the floor, Mom."

"Do you know how hard is it to get a booth? I'm not giving it up."

Jack nods. "You're right. Some girls might want to sit with us. Good thinking, Mom."

"That's not my intention." My eyes continue to wander around. "How does your wife feel about you surrounding yourself with women for the sake of me?"

"Eleanor knows that I won't leave her for some fifty year old lady," Jack laughs. "Plus, we trust each other, Mom."

"Oh, right. I wouldn't know what a decent relationship is even if it falls on my face."

"Mom, I didn't mean it like that!" He lifts his glass in the air, then to his lips. His attention then drifts into the crowd. "I like her for you," he points.

I smack his arm. "Don't be obvious." I often wonder how he ever hooked up with anyone. He has no game. And no subtlety.

"For fuck's sake," he grumbles as he continues to look at the woman, "she's gotta be gay."

"It is a gay bar, my dear boy."

"Doesn't mean she's definitely gay. Let me go over and talk to her." He hands me his empty glass and tries to walk away.

"Jack!" I rest the glass on the table and quickly reach for his arm. "Don't you dare! I'll disown you."

"Fine. Fine." He looks at my glass of wine, then back at me. "I'll get us refills. Try not to get swallowed up by the crowd."

I watch him like hawk as he walks to the bar. When I turn my eyes away, I realize that I actually enjoy being out with him, even if I have to teach him a thing or two about not pointing fingers at strangers.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro