Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I stared at the lake not because it had lilac water but because it was between me and the continuation of the road I followed. "You've got to be kidding me," I muttered under my breath as I consulted my map again.

After leaving the busier part of town and trekking to the closest route that'd take me to Jalinica, I found myself in the middle of nowhere with a huge-ass lake in front of me. There were no other ways through and going around it on foot would take too long. The quickest way was forward. If I was to get to my friends while they're still alive and kicking, I didn't have much time to waste.

My hands braced my hips, the belt slung around it light and empty. It's not wise to walk around with my gear out in the world. My previous encounter with the Raiders proved as much.

A knot formed in my gut at that thought. It was our first meeting—Mirani and I. Her saving a cowering guy in the middle of the street in broad daylight wasn't something anyone would forget in a short while. The memory also succeeded in drawing a cloud over my head as if my day wasn't being sucky enough.

What would I even say to them once I caught up to them? That I was sorry? To them, I'd basically dealt with the devil with their lives on the line, and when one of them—someone who has more worth to them than me—did perish, they wouldn't have it in them to forgive the one who cast the die.

If there was one thing I did do, it was to get them the mission. They're in Jalinica now to finish it. I should at least try and help, since I was the one who started it. I couldn't have them cleaning up the mess I got them into myself. I have my principles too.

So, I needed to cross this goddamned lake.

Unless I found myself someone who could fly and rip off their wings from them, I didn't imagine myself soaring through the sky, dropping in on my comrades like a savior sent from heaven. No. That wouldn't work.

The leaves rustled behind me. I turned, my hand getting ready to call for my sword, to find a man in a straw hat dragging a tapered boat towards the lake's rim. The rough pebbles making up the shore crackled against the hull, each thump sending a spear of worry through my gut. Wouldn't those wear the boat's bottom? What would happen if he missed a damage and ended up sinking in the middle of the lake?

But it'd have to do. Looking at the stretch of the shore, curving and extending all the way to the horizon, there weren't any other options. "Excuse me, sir," I jogged down from the spot where the compact soil gave way to sandy pebbles. "Can you take me across?"

The man dropped the boat with a hollow thud followed by the clatter of the oars from the inside. "Damn you, adventurers," he spat. "Thinking you can order me around with a sword to my neck."

If this was still a game, he wouldn't have even thought of saying that. It's not like he's part of a quest or something. He's just a passing fisherman and I, a passing valdyrsi. "What would it take you to convince you to take me across?" I asked, hoping against hope he wouldn't be asking for much. "I have some trades with me. How about ethrans?"

"Bah!" the man exclaimed, loud and grating enough to startle me. "You think I'm cheap, being sold to mere coins!"

I blinked. Someone refusing money? That's a first. If this was a normal conversation, he would have looked me up and down, noted the details in my vest and shoes, and assumed I was loaded and would therefore try and squeeze all he could from me. He also seemed to know I was an adventurer, which would be enough to tell him he'd get a good amount should he squeeze well.

So, why wasn't he?

"Can I entice you with some goods, then?" I maneuvered. It's not my fault if he regretted his choice later on. That's the first rule in sales. If the client passes on your first proposal even when it's going to be more beneficial to them in the long run, that's the least of my worries. Ashley's shrill voice rang at the back of my head even though I tried my hardest to tamp it down. For a woman that vain, she knew what she was doing when it came to sealing the deal.

The man thought about it for a second before jerking his chin at me. "What do you have? Something beneficial to fishing, I hope," he said.

Uh...

I brought my menu up, disguising the action by mussing my hair gently. Scanning through my inventory, nothing close to the business of fishing crept up. Save for one thing. "Can I interest you in a...shovel?" I said.

"A what?" he turned his ear to my direction. Apparently, my voice clipped at the last word. Out of shame or fear, I didn't really know.

I swallowed against the lump growing in my throat. "A shovel," I tried again. This time, the man's eyes lit up.

"Ah, shovel," he said, like we weren't just throwing the same word back and forth. "My wife could use one on the farm. Give it to me."

Now, at this point in the conversation, I would have pumped my fist in the air and shouted my praises to the heavens. But I noticed the word enclosed in parentheses beside the shovel's name.

Untradeable.

How in the world would I be able to deal with that?

Ashley's voice crept back into my mind. If you don't have the product at hand but you really need to close the deal, you promise them something they wouldn't be able to refuse.

"How about this," I perked up. "Help me get across now, and I'll buy you a shovel in town when I cross right back?"

The man frowned. Oh, sweet mother of shovels. He's not happy. "I need proof that you're not running off once I do all the work," he said.

"Would you take me across if I give you one?" I asked.

He waved a hand in the air, blowing air through his lips. "You dare doubt me?" he tapped a closed fist against his chest. "Fisherman's word. Give me a pledge right now and I'll take you across without letting you be devoured by the ballyeo on the way. What's it going to be?"

I extended my hand in an attempt to shake his hand. He stared at it like he was seeing the ghost of his grandmother talking to him. Was he not familiar with that custom? I ended up curling my fingers and tapping it to my chest. "Fisherman's pledge," I said. I summoned the dagger Mirani gave me from my inventory. Just a flash of light and the sheathed blade appeared in my hand. The man's eyes bulged and skidded back a bit when I offered it to him. "It won't hurt you so long as you keep your end of the deal," I gave it a little shake to prove my point. "The deal was to take me across the lake, safely, and then we'll talk about getting you the highest grade shovel you could ever want. Deal?"

The man snatched the dagger from my hands. "Deal."

Within minutes, we were leagues away from shore, the line of the forest growing farther and farther until the individual trees became one strip of shadows and fog. The man grunted as he tugged at the oars, each movement making the muscles in his arms ripple. Wasn't he getting tired? He's been rowing for a long time and we're barely half the lake. A quick glance at the shrunk map at the corner of my eyes told me that.

I figured I'd help the both of us pass the time. "How much farther is Jalinica from here?" I asked.

The man sniffed, watching something in the water. I leaned over and found nothing swimming across the lilac waves. "A few prinks," he said. "Technically, town is a day's walk but the forest at the other side is already Jalinica. Why? Got some girl to woo?"

I wish. "My friends are there, chasing the nether beasts who came from Crytone," I jerked my head to the town we just left. "Did you know anything about them?"

"Ah, those fools," the man said. "While I appreciate those 'venturers getting rid of the blasted shadow creatures, I reckon they should take it easy. Word's been going around the local district. It'd be amazing if they lasted this long. Especially when I'm told it's the big ones."

Right. The big ones with hard skin that even Cavya's god-level rapier was having a hard time piercing. "Where do you think they are now?" I scratched the side of my face and pushed my hair off my forehead. "They couldn't have gotten far, right?"

"You should be able to find them by the trails of magic in the air," the man said. " 'specially when they're adventurers. Those fools couldn't bear to not use their divine talent, rubbing it into the faces of those who don't have it."

I pursed my lips. "Then, let's hurry,."

The man, who would never understand my hurry, rolled his eyes and barked at me to keep my hands inside the boat at all times. "The ballyeo ain't kidding when they crave the taste of an arm," he said. "I'd stay put like a well-bred kid if I were you.'

"And don't make me hurry. This is the fastest pace I can go," he grouched. "Take it or leap to the water and swim the rest of the way yourself."

Knowing how much I wagered just to get here, even enduring a torture from the memories of my boss, I tucked my legs close to me and bit my tongue before I could say something else to make the man throw me overboard himself.

The forest only seemed big when I was combing through it while making sure I wasn't going in circles through my map. It stretched for miles and miles in all directions. Having left the lake a few minutes ago, I delved straight into the search. If there was one thing the fisherman said that made sense, it's to look for signs of a fight.

I started looking at the scratches in the trunks, for fallen logs, or for any tracks in the dirt. After a while, I cursed. This was going to take too long. There's not enough time. I have to find them. Who knows what they're facing now?

Wait. I paused in my tracks, bracing a nearby trunk with my hand. What was something that gave away a danburki's den? Noise. Lots of it. Thudding noise. Shrieking noise. If I was to find the spot where they're fighting agitated ones, what would be the one thing I should be looking for?

I closed my eyes, forcing the thoughts out of my mind. Focus. Listen to the sounds around me. The whistle of the humid wind rustling the canopies and the undergrowth. The patter of small, clawed feet against brittle and splintering branches. The scratches of dried leaves and grass blades across the forest floor.

Nothing else. I was alone in this forest, and I wasn't sure if I wanted it to be that way.

I needed a spiria's ears. Where would I get one, so I could copy it?

A face popped up at the back of my head. No matter what face she took, she was all the same to me. No. Anyone but her.

Any thought of Mirani squeezed at my heart until it's close to bursting so I skirted around that pain for now. Who else, then? I couldn't even remember if Arzo and Revery's ears were pointed or what. The only face I've come to memorize over the small amount of time we've spent together in this world...

Was Seline.

I blew an exasperated breath. Well, whatever. It's just for this time. Nowhere else. Closing my eyes, I pictured her delicate ears, the ones she always scratched by mistake whenever she tucked her hair behind them. Her face would always scrunch in surprise or in confusion whenever she finds out she had pointy ones now. I inhaled sharply.

"Duplicate," I whispered.

My magic flared out in a flash. Then, the world screamed at me.

All at once, a million sounds turned up to the maximum volume slammed into my ears, causing black splotches to dance in my vision and throwing me off balance. It's a good thing I was already bracing a trunk. Otherwise, I would have fallen forward. My fingers dug against the side of my head. Damn. How did the spirias get used to this?

Then, a familiar cry zipped through the oscillating waves. I turned to the direction I heard it from. There. That's where they were. I brought up my map and translated it. Aha. That's it.

Found you.

I released the spell and took off running. All the months spent going on joint missions with other parties trained me to move efficiently and swiftly without consuming too much of my HP. Stay focused on the goal. Don't stray.

Keep your eyes open.

The forest blurred in a haze around me. Soon, the roars, explosions, and screams of aggression rang through the horizon. Even without the spiria's senses, I was able to pinpoint where they were coming from. Bright, multicolored light flashed through the canopies, reminding me of a disco I once went to with my friends from college just to see what the fuss was about. It was almost a foreshadowing to how my day was going to go. I didn't enjoy that place. Not one bit.

I came over a clearing. Instead of continuing into a downward slope, it ended in a cliff right there. And down below...

All of them were there. Nazran's face was drawn as his fingers moved frantically, no doubt crafting a beast on the spot to provide more support. Valren and Cavya plowed through the sea of black, gray, and white—swords and flames flaring and glinting against the setting sun. Streaks of magical energy and fiery bullets rained from the higher line of trees.

I didn't need to be down there to realize they're fighting on the edges of their stats. Even Cavya's swings consisted less and less of his flashy attacks with chants involved. His suit sported visible tears and dust and ashes turned the white streak of fur on his head the same color as his gray spots. Most importantly...where's Yaora?

The characteristic green scales and red mane were nowhere to be found, not even in the shadows of the trees towering above even the danburki. Oh, no. Don't tell me he—

Something flashed in my periphery. I followed a trail of magenta as it darted from tree to tree, swinging past branches and canopies with trained ease. Ahrian. Her gun was slung across one arm as she gripped another branch. Then, as her legs slapped her new hiding place, the muzzle was already pointing towards the beasts.

I scoured the hill for any subtle way down. It's not wise to announce my presence by getting all the attention to myself. I'd provide them a way out and that's it. Maybe they'd hear me out and let me join them on another attempt to complete the mission. But for now, they needed to rest before one of them made a mistake they wouldn't be able to take back.

Valren dropped to the ground, his wings too tired to keep him afloat any longer. A blur of white and brown sped for him from behind.

"No!" I ran forward. By instinct, I picked out Ahrian from between the canopies and the first line of branches. Just the sight of her would have to do. There's no time. "Borrow!"

I fell to my knees, letting the incline of the edge hide the rest of my body. Stretching my hand past the rim, I heaved breath after breath as I threw the flitting scope towards the unseen creature. The claws reached for Valren.

"Bird Shot!" I yelled.

The beast exploded into a shower of blood and magic. A hush fell across the space. Then, the danburki turned to me. And they charged.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro