Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I really wasn't making any friends in this place.

My dorm mates just giggled nastily behind my back so I chose to ignore them, preferring the company of my books instead.

Neville hung around me a bit, but it was more the fact that he too was struggling to make friends so we sort of found ourselves left at the bottom of the barrel together, so to speak, rather than having anything in common.

Besides, it was usually him talking to his toad whilst I read, sometimes sharing fascinating little facts which seemed to go over Neville's head entirely.

I found myself sitting alone one dinnertime, with Neville being in the hospital wing after an unfortunate fall from his broomstick, when I decided to eavesdrop on a private conversation.

Harry and Ron were talking animatedly with their heads down, boasting about how Harry managed to get on the Quidditch team by breaking the rules, when Draco Malfoy sauntered over to them with Crabbe and Goyle in tow.

I slowly chewed on a carrot as I strained my ears, curious as to what he wanted.

"Having a last meal, Potter?" Draco taunted, his face lighting up maliciously. "When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?"

"You're a lot braver now you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you." Harry said coolly, and rather boldly too, I thought, considering Crabbe and Goyle's sizes.

"I'd take you on any time on my own." Draco sneered, pushing his face closer to Harry's. "Tonight if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only - no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizards's duel before, I suppose?"

"Of course he has." Ron barked through a mouthful of pie. "I'm his second, who's yours?"

Draco took a moment to size up his friends. "Crabbe. Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room, that's always unlocked."

And with that, he sauntered away, dramatically swishing his cloak behind him.

"What is a wizard's duel?" Harry hissed to Ron, loud enough for me to still be able to hear. "And what do you mean, you're my second?"

"Well, a second's there to take over if you die." Ron said casually, tucking further into his pie despite already having a mouth full. "But people only die in proper duels, you know, with real wizards. The most you and Malfoy'll be able to do is send sparks at each other. Neither of you knows enough magic to do any real damage. I bet he expected you to refuse, anyway."

Ronald Weasley really was an idiot sometimes. I rolled my eyes as Harry went paler than a ghost.

"And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?"

"Throw it away and punch him on the nose." Ron shrugged, reaching across the table for some squirty cream.

I couldn't stay silent any longer.

"Excuse me."

They both looked at me, Ron immediately letting out an exasperated sigh despite not knowing what I was about to say.

"Can't a person eat in peace in this place?" He muttered, knocking back his head to squirt the cream directly into his mouth.

"Well, clearly you've got no issue with that." I sniffed, sticking my nose up in the air. "Anyway, I couldn't help overhearing what you and Malfoy were saying-"

"Bet you could." Ron sneered.

"- and you mustn't go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you'll lose Gryffindor if you're caught, and you're bound to be. It's really very selfish of you."

"And it's really none of your business." Harry shrugged dismissively.

"Goodbye." Ron added.

Hurt, I slammed down my half eaten carrot and angrily pushed my chair back. "If you die, don't expect me to attend your funerals!"

"Good!" Ron hollered, going red in the face. "Because I wouldn't want a bossy know-it-all bringing the mood down at my wake!"

Jumping to my feet, I fled from the hall, trying to ignore the horrific lump that had formed in the back of my throat.

I waited in the dark for them, wearing my best pink dressing-gown and a frown.

"You!" Ron spat furiously when I flicked the lamp on the moment they crept down into the common room. "Go back to bed!"

"I almost told your brother," I snapped. "Percy - he's a Prefect, he'd put a stop to this."

"Come on," Harry said, ignoring me and pushing Ron through the portrait hole.

I followed them. How could I not? I needed to make them see sense before they lost us any more house points.

Turned out, Neville was out in the corridor having forgotten the password. And not only that, the Fat Lady had disappeared so none of us could get back into the Gryffindor Tower.

Harry and Ron were both so angry at us as we tagged along, as though it were our fault the Fat Lady had better places to be.

The trophy room was empty, all except for Filch. Draco Malfoy had tricked them.

So, we ran and ended up diving through a door on the third floor which I had cleverly unlocked with my wand.

"I - told - you," I gasped, clutching at the stitch in my side. "I - told - you."

However, it turned out we were sharing the room with a three headed dog.

"I hope you're pleased with yourselves." I snapped when we finally reached the safety of our common room. "We could all have been killed - or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed."

Idiots.

"So, I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking the rules?"

Harry and Ron jumped as they looked up. I nodded down to the broomstick held in their hands between them.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" Harry muttered, his face going pink.

"Yes, don't stop now ," Ron snarked, "it's doing us so much good."

I marched away with my nose in the air. I was incensed. I had so far gotten nothing but top marks in my classes, handed all my homework in on time and even went the extra mile. Harry misbehaves and is rewarded not only with a spot on the Quidditch team, but a brand new expensive broomstick too!

And first years aren't even allowed brooms.

The unfairness with the way this school was being run was literally hurting my stomach.

I stormed outside, needing some air. I really wanted to punch something, but it seemed someone else had beaten me to it.

I watched as Draco Malfoy threw his bag down on the ground and kicked the castle wall. "Bloody Potter!" He gritted, kicking the wall again. "Thinks he's so clever with his big shiny Nimbus Two Thousand..."

A gentle breeze blew my hair across my face, tickling my nose, and before I could stop it, I sneezed.

He looked up, his grey eyes widening in surprise at seeing me standing there, watching him.

"What?" He spat, his chest heaving heavily. "Never seen anyone kick a wall before?"

I shrugged. "I just know how you feel, that's all."

Before he could respond, I quickly turned and went back inside.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro