2. Lean on me

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Hi!
I have to say something about this piece. This was earlier a part of IK second chapter, where Sanskar makes Swara meet her father in order to hurt her. (For his twisted revenge) This sort of explains how he knew of the possibility.
Enjoy!!

Tick tock… Tick tock…
The light of his study lamp made a patch of glittering white on the smooth paper. Rest, simply slipped from his head... For almost half an hour Sanskar had been blankly staring at Kavita’s Management notes not reading a single word. Thinking and thinking yet not making any conclusions... He was supposed to finish that, minutes ago and start on the still untouched Accounts, then take a quick glance over his homework as well. But he did not move, not even an inch.
The clock chimed loudly somewhere, signaling it was nine o’ clock. And Sanskar sighed. She would leave tomorrow and he was not going to see her again. He leaned against the chair and closed his eyes. He had made a promise to Sharmishta auntie, which he meant to keep, no matter what. He had not forgotten Kavita’s advice as well, but Kavita and Swara were too very different individuals, it was not like one would help him in understanding the other.
Swara would be dejected and he hated being the cause of that.
His mobile buzzed the same moment and with a jolt Sanskar realized he had been dozing off in his thoughts. With his days packed with collage, Maheshwari office and catching up on the lessons he missed, his nights were sleepless. He needed sleep desperately now.
Rubbing his eyes to get their focus clearer he picked up the call, not really seeing the caller ID.
‘Sanskar?’
‘Sharmishta auntie,’ he said in a tight tone. Though he understood and obligated to her request it did not mean he was pleased with her.
‘Do you have any idea where Shona is?’
‘Shona? Umm no. I haven’t seen her since… Since,’ he bit his lip. ‘Since I told her to go with you.’
‘She’s nowhere. I’m worried Sanskar. She has nowhere to go this late night.’ He noted the panic in her tone and felt his own version of unsettlement building up. Sanskar quickly gulped and said in a steady tone.
‘I’ll find her auntie, don’t worry.’ He stood up instantly and picked up the keys of his bike as well, ‘I’m leaving now.’
He did not actually hear what Sharmishta said in reply as he disconnected the call and grabbed his jacket. Stopping at his table Sanskar threw his notes an apologetic look and switched off the study lamp. They will have to wait, Shona was the first priority.
Meanwhile Swara was standing in the Baadi, in front of her father’s door, listening to the harsh words her own family spoke against her. She had come to tell them she was leaving tomorrow, perhaps forever, they seemed glad and it hurt her.
‘Don’t know why you thought of informing us,’ said Dadi in a haughty voice. ‘Since we share no relation now, we don’t care where you go off to.’
‘But I…’
‘You wanted to take my blessings right?’ Shekar asked in a heavy tone and placed his hand on her head for a fraction of a second. ‘There, kush raho, done?’
‘Now why don’t you make a move already?’ Dadi interjected and looking over her shoulder gave a snort of laughter. ‘I was wondering, where the needle was while thread is wondering here!’ She said in a disapproving tone. Following her gaze Swara turned around and so Sanskar striding towards them, his jaw rigid and eyes flashing.
Shekar gave his mother a warning look. He approved her dislike of Swara but Sanskar was a Maheshwari, it was a different matter. The last thing Shekar wanted at the moment was an argument with Durga Prasad over his treatment to Durga’s favorite son.
Sanskar meanwhile had reached them, drawn himself to his full height and placed a hand on Swara’s shoulder.
‘Thank you Shekar uncle,’ he said in a pleasant voice and turned to Swara. ‘Now he has blessed you, let’s go Shona.’
His grip on her shoulder was tighter than it seemed, almost daring her to shake off his hold. Swara gave him a resentful look. What did he think of himself? That he could walk in and out of her life anytime he wanted? Who was ignoring her for so many days?
‘Let’s go,’ he said in a little firmer tone and a pointed look.
Nodding slightly and wincing in pain at his tight hold Swara let him steer her away, with one last glance at her father and grandmother watching from the threshold. Outside the winter night was waiting for them, with mild breeze snoozing around and clouds covering all the stars.
‘What’s your problem?’ Swara asked finally shaking off his hold and glaring at him. Sanskar handed her the helmet and leaned against the bike watching her furious face with casual surprise.
‘You are.’ He pointed out, in an unaffected tone.
‘Huh?’
‘Tell me one thing Shona, why do you love pain so much? What was the need to go looking for insults?’
‘What is it to you?’
Sanskar shrugged and ran a hand through his hair. It was a habit he had picked up over the years, whenever he was nervous he tousled his hairs and Swara used to think it was cute.
‘It hurts me alright? I hate watching someone talk that way about you unable to break their noses!’
‘Then what about all that not depending on each other and keeping our distance thing?’
‘Give it a rest,’ said Sanskar. ‘You know why I said all that. You need to go with your mom, she needs you. You know how broken she is, better!’
‘Will they ever make up?’
Sanskar watched her hopeful eyes for a moment and stretched out an arm to grab hers, pulling her towards him in a split second. He patted the top of her head, wrapping his arm around her and Swara sighed, relaxing in to his embrace.
‘No,’ Sanskar said lightly. ‘Some people simply doesn’t belong together Shona, there’s no point in trying to unite them.’
Swara sniffed.
‘If we try, it will only cause them more pain and we’ll hurt ourselves in the process. Just leave it. He doesn’t deserve your mom, who is a queen on her own.’
They detached themselves after a moment and Sanskar shot her a teasing look.
‘You do have a crush on my bike right?’ He said arching an eyebrow. ‘You never leave a chance for a ride!’
Swara rolled her eyes as she clasped the lock of the helmet beneath her chin.
‘I don’t have a crush on your bike!’
‘Yeah right!’ He laughed, as she hopped on behind him and they rode in to the night, chatting aimlessly and roaring with laughter.
Thanks for reading!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro