#48: Marriage Ceremony

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Related to #13: Religion 

In some of my projects, I have had to think how a marriage ceremony works. Maybe you have had to, too.

The questions below are quite detailed. Why? Well, I realized through my own experience that you get a better understanding of what marriage is in the culture you made (or the culture you are using) if you go waaaay back to the beginning. 

And, you never know. You might need to talk about marriage in detail at some point if your characters decide they want to publicize their marriage in your book ;)

===========================

1. Determining the Partner

How is a marriage partner determined?

I once watched a documentary of a Romani witch (a mother to a son) who still practiced many old traditions. When it came to marriage, the partner for her son was determined by the mother who could see the future (so she claimed) through some ritual. She found a woman who could be a powerful witch. Basically this is an arranged marriage. (The couple did get married but it didn't work out, btw.)

Is a marriage partner determined through some form of an arranged marriage? If so, what kind of arranged marriage is it? Is one side sold to the others' family? Is it decided from birth by some magical ritual? Are they destined through prophecy? Even two characters destined to marry, makes it an arranged marriage.

Is a marriage partner determined through building a relationship? So...love. Do they fall in love and decide to get married? Is it a mutual decision to get married or does one side have more say in it than the other?

In the case of falling in love, do the couple need any parents' approval to get married? If yes, both sides' parents or just one side? Why is this so?

2. Things They Need

What is needed for a marriage ceremony?

Us humans have Wedding Planners - some clever people figured out you could make a good living planning a wedding for people. We hire them, paying big money to make a wedding for us, whatever the religion may be. They get everything together for us from balloons, to doves, to epic cakes, and color themes of everything and everyone.

Or, a marriage ceremony might just need some nice flowers and a beautiful location.

They might also need something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

What kinds of clothes do they need to wear?

Wedding dresses don't have to be white ;) Tuxedos don't have to be black ;) Marriage ceremony wear also differs across cultures, religions, and between the rich, the middle class, and the poor. Keep this in mind.

3. Beginning to End

When does the marriage ceremony start? 

A simple question, nonetheless one you must consider. Does it start the night before the big day? Maybe it's really long and starts a week or two or even a month in advance. Or, it could start on the big day but from what time of day? The morning? Noon? Maybe the ceremony is really short and only lasts for two hours at night?

Is there a ceremony or celebration before the marriage ceremony?

Like a Bachelor's party thing or a woman's (female's) version or a pre-marriage fun thing?

What is the actual marriage ceremony like?

From start to when they have become married, tell me exactly how it is like for the characters in your world to get married. The questions below are some things for you to consider.

If the partners exchange gifts, what kind of gifts? If not gifts, do they exchange anything? A ring, perhaps? A locket with hair?

Are there bridesmaids or best men?

Does somebody read or recite something?

Do they sing or dance?

Is kissing part of the ceremony or not? If not kissing, what represents a kiss?

4. Afterwards

What are they called after marriage?

Husband and wife? Husband and husband? Wife and wife? Partners For Life? (I couldn't resist the rhyme)

Is there a celebration after the marriage ceremony?

Like a party or a feast? Or maybe they dance or sing or eat cake?

Is there a honeymoon or some kind of equivalent?

5. Out of Curiosity...

Is there same sex marriage? Why or why not? If not, do characters want there to be same sex marriage?

Self-marriage, marrying to more than one, do these exist? Why or why not? If yes, what do others think of it? If not, do characters want there to be self-marriage or marrying to more than one? Do they even know about it?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro