Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Cole's POV

When I was eighteen I was an idiot and I is something terrible to a girl I liked.

I didn't know how to react to my feelings towards her, so I acted like a jerk and got rid of her. I threatened her by saying "That if you return home I'll ruin you."

I was never going to ruin her, but it looks like I've ruined myself instead.

All the girls I've dated over the years haven't effected me the way that Julia did.

Every year I keep hoping she'll come back.

When she doesn't I get a little disappointed.

All I want to do is apologise to her and try to get her to forgive me for being a jerk.

A couple years ago I went to her family and I told them what happened.

Julia's parents didn't like what they heard at first, but then they told me that kids are cruel and that I deserve a second chance.

Her brothers were an entirely different story.

They beat the shit out of and I ended up in hospital from the beating.

While I was in the hospital Julia's parents sent them to the hospital to see me and apologise.

After that day the brothers and I became close.

I spend a lot of time at their place and listen to them tell stories of things that happened while they were growing.

I wish that I got to know her brothers when they were at the school.

They were a couple years older than us and they wouldn't have had time to get to know people younger than them.

I pull my car into the driveway of Julia's family home.

Grabbing my keys from the ignition I head to the house. I knock on the door and wait for someone to answer it.

Her brother Antwon opens the door and he looks at me. "Hey, man. Are you here to play C.O.D?"

"Yeah, I am. I'm going to kick your ass." I nudge him with my shoulder.

"No, you're not." He tells me.

We run to the tv and we're about to switch the channel to play the game when the news comes on about a Tsunami that hit an Island.

Nova Island had been struck by an Tsunami after an earthquake occurred not too far from the Island.

The landline starts to ring and Mrs Harris answers the phone. She puts it on loudspeaker.

Mrs Harris: Hello?

Voice: Hello, Mrs Harris. It's Veronica.

Mrs Harris: How are you sweetheart?

Veronica: I'm good.

Mrs Harris: How's my daughter? Is she there?

Veronica: That's why I'm calling. Julia's not here.

Mrs Harris: What do you mean she's not there?

Veronica: Julia's not in New York? She's...

Where is she?

Mrs Harris: She called me two nights ago telling me how much she loves living in New York and she told me about the kids she's teaching.

Veronica: She hasn't lived with me for four years.

Mrs Harris: What? She yells. Where is Julia?

I hear panic in her voice.

Veronica: She's on Nova Island.

That's the Island that had the Tsunami.

Antwon looks at his Mom. "Mom, you better see this." He points at the tv. "They're talking about Nova Island now."

Mrs Harris walks over to the tv and she watches the news. She begins to scream. "No, no, she can't..."

Liam runs into the room and he sees his Mom crying. "Mom," she doesn't reply to him. He picks up the phone where Veronica is still talking.

Liam: What did you tell Mom?

Veronica: That Julia doesn't live with me. She's on Nova Island.

Liam: The one that's all over the tv and radio?

Veronica: Yes,

Liam: Damn it. Why didn't you tell us earlier?

Veronica: It was Julia's call not to tell you. I'm not a messenger for her.

Liam: Can you call her?

Veronica: I've been doing that and her phone keeps ringing out.

Liam: Thanks for letting us know. If you get in touch with her can you call us?

Veronica: sure,

He hangs up the phone.

Mr Harris walks into the living room and he sees his wife on the floor. He walks over to her and wraps his arms around her. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"Our daughter is on Nova Island."

He looks at the TV and he swears as he watches the wave hit the Island.

If she doesn't make it out alive it's my fault and her family won't forgive me for it. Why did I have to be such an ass to the girl I love?

Looking at her family I say. "This is all my fault. She should have been here instead of on the Island."

I might sound selfish thinking about myself when she's on an Island dead for all I know.

I feel guilty for what I did nearly ten years ago.

Mrs Harris walks over to me. She places her hand on my face. "It's not your fault. Julia's always done what she wants and she wanted to go over to the Island to be a teacher. Ever since she was a little girl she told me that she wanted to be a teacher. She followed her dream of that. It just took her to an Island where a freak thing happened. No one could be prepared for that. Not even my daughter. She's a survivor and she will survive this."

I pull away from her. "I have to go." I pull my keys out of my pocket and head out the door. I start my car and peel out of the driveway.

As I'm driving my phone goes off and I see Liam's name flash across the screen.

I ignore the call and continue to speed down the street, swerving in and out of traffic.

A few car beep their horns at me.

I pull my car into the driveway of my mansion.

When I get to the house I walk into my bedroom and look for the year book that has a photo of Julia in it.

I throw things out of the closet until I find the book shoved in the back amongst stuff I collected over the years.

Flipping the book open to H, I see Julia smiling.

I hope you're alright, Julia.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro