21. you make me feel

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, parents and teachers, my name is Francesca Aida and it is my pleasure to be your host for this event."

The half full audience cheers excitedly.

"Thank you very much. Also, I'd like to officially welcome you to St. Patrick's Secondary School 2019 Annual School Play. A big thank you to all parents for honouring our invitations. Without further ado, I'd like to introduce a few persons. Please, give a round of applause as they come up to the high table."

A short break after.

"Joining us tonight, let's have the proprietor of the school, Sir Hector Patrick, welcomed to the high table."

Accordingly, resonant claps echo in the theatre hall.

"Also, we have our beloved principal, Principal Alexandra, the panel and members of the high table..."

FELIX

Every performing act, from the music groups to drama clubs, with other solo performers, hang about behind the backdrop at various corners, some doing vocal training and body warm-ups, some rehearsing their routine, and others, like me, pacing up and down trying to shake off the nervousness.

Xian approaches. "Hey Felix."

"Hey Xian."

"Isn't this exciting? I don't think you're used to it."

"Xian, the crowd would be bawling their eyes if my band were performing. But, that's not what I'm bothered about."

He shifts from enthusiasm to an expressionless face. "Right."

I sustain air in my lungs, hoping to warm myself from the chills I've been experiencing since the moment I arrived here.

"You look like you're nervous."

"Nervous?! Oh, I think I left nervous behind like two hours ago. I'm at sheer terror. Who knows what Agnes is thinking right now?"

"Please don't tell me you took what Rex said to heart."

"I didn't, but who knows."

"Agnes, she's not evil. I'm sure you will be fine. You both will."

I exhale deeply, "I hope so." Freaking out won't help me through the evening. I dip my hands in my pockets and observe the others around me, maybe it will help build up some courage.

Looking out, each couple wears the same outfit with a different colour. But of course, the most striking colour is reserved for the star couple.

"Do you still remember the steps?" Gladys asks Andre, in their matching pink outfits.

"Yeah," he replies anxiously.

"Don't you dare make me trip on stage, do you hear me?" She warns him.

"Seriously? I rehearsed this routine for nights – my older brother thought I was going crazy."

Sofia and Ronald march out from their dressing rooms wearing their matching royal blue outfit to join them talking.

"Don't worry. I believe we can do this guys. We have practised thoroughly for a long time, and we didn't have trouble mastering the routine. I am very sure we will do our best," Sofia says.

"Oh, I'm so excited!" Gladys happily mumbles.

I take my eyes from the cheerful-anxious group to another at the far end, where Agnes and her friends sit opposite one another with brooding faces.

Agnes undoubtedly stands out for me. Her fine make-up and hairdo, curled up artistically. The scarlet ballroom gown she wears that matches her lipstick, left sleeve reaching her knuckles as the other hangs by a small cloth on her elbow, beautifully adorned with stones that blends so well with her autumn brown hair. She'll surely capture the attention of anybody who watches us dance.

Her dress complements my white shirt, loaded with ruffled sleeves, a pair of black parachuted trousers and matching scarlet wide waistband. I wish I can say the same about our state of self, which I'm not so sure of either.

"Maybe I should go talk to her," I say to no one in particular.

"If that will help you get over your queasiness, then go for it," Xian reassures me.

I start building confidence, until a speaker from the main theatre distracts me with a brash ten- seconds screeching of cacophonous noise that could cause ears to bleed. I mean honestly, you cannot put together a main event without that prickly sound effects coming up at some point.

Miss Francesca says over the microphone, "We are so sorry about that. Now let's have our first performance from the music club. Give them a round of applause as they come on stage."

I turn back to their direction, but she isn't there anymore. Then I walk over to meet Yvonne and Tessa. The instant they notice me coming, they begin to exchange frantic stares.

I don't want to know why that is.

"Sorry to disturb you guys, but Agnes was here a while ago so I was wondering where she must have gone to."

Tessa attempts to reply, "she's—"

"I'm here," Agnes says behind me.

I jump out of my skin freaking over her sudden appearance. "Oh!" It's all I'm able to utter after surviving that anxiety attack.

"Are you ready for it?"

I raise an eyebrow. Her question could mean so many things, mostly bad, terrible things. Things that can ruin my life forever. I am not ready for any of those. "Err... yeah," I reply.

"Good, cause I'm ready as well."

"Ready for what?" I quickly ask.

"For the dance," she pauses and leers. "I know everyone is worried that I might do something evil on stage to ruin Felix, but I promise I won't. At least, I'll try not to even though that'll be fun to watch."

My eyes drift across the room. "Good to hear."

"So can I not see your face until we're called up on stage?"

"Well, that hurts. But yeah, I will be out of your hair now."

As if I was not already edgy enough, I see Annie sneaking into the backstage all on her own. She somehow wiggles her way through the security officers and races towards me excitedly. This is the moment I knew would come.

I remember the darn siblings' moment we had the other day. I never expected she'd take it so seriously. She wasn't kidding when she offered her help.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss violently.

"I came to see you. Told you I'll be here to help you dress up."

"I'm all dressed up as you can see!" I spread my arms. I wish more than anything that someone would chase Annie out of here before she does something outrageous. It's damn obvious she's here to see someone, and I'm not that person.

"Actually, I came to see your partner."

"What! No!"

Like I should be surprised that's the reason she is here. She disregards me and goes straight to Agnes. "Are you the girl my brother is crushing on? You must be her."

My knees buckle, and Agnes reacting surprised and disgusted makes it no better. I quickly step between them. "She's only eleven and she has no idea what she's saying. Don't worry, I'll take care of her," I tell Agnes with a forced smile.

Annie bends sideways, fighting to catch sight of Agnes, but I use my whole body to obstruct her view. Her struggle is no match against the great effort I put to block her.

"Come on, Felix, let me just see," Annie pleads.

"I'll take care of her," I tell the people watching then immediately drag her by hand outside the area. Once we reach a safe distance, I yank her to stand in front of me. "What the heck are you doing here?!

"Come on, what's wrong in seeing Agnes?"

"What's wrong in seeing Agnes? What's wrong with you?! Are you trying to ruin my life?"

"Don't act so serious. You knew I was coming."

I raise my voice at her. "Didn't I tell you kids are not allowed backstage?"

"But she's actually pretty. I didn't think she was pretty like that."

She doesn't hit the brakes with her capriciously tormenting grin which makes me even angrier. She thinks this is all a joke. "Look, Annie, I have a dance number to present soon. Please, don't screw things up for me."

"I wanted to know if she actually hates you the way you say she does."

"Just shut up, okay!" I yell. "I don't want you all over me concerning this topic again."

Right there, I regret ever raising my voice. How she suppresses her hurt makes me want to pull a gun and shoot myself. The stare in her eyes is as though she would cry any minute from now, but she wears a cover-up smile that does a fine job hiding her tears. Her intentions are not bad at all, but here's not the right time and place to get so enthusiastic.

"Where are mom and dad?" I ask calmly.

She frowns, "daddy couldn't make it today, but mommy is already seated."

I sigh, "alright. Please, go sit with mom."

"But—"

"Now!"

She mutters on her way out. We will eventually settle our differences at home. Annie isn't one to hold grudges, particularly after a cone of ice-cream. I'm her best brother, not so?

I return to the backstage to join others as they put in final touches on their dance number.

"The star couple of the show ought to practise, don't you think so?" Derrick suggests. "They're the ones doing the final routine, and that is the most important moment for the play."

"There is no need for that. I've got the steps up here," Agnes says.

It feels like she's eyeing me disdainfully, but I'm too chicken to peek her way and know for sure if that's true. "If Agnes says that she knows the steps, then there is no need to rehearse. We're good."

They go back to their rehearsals. Tessa corners me secretly, all of a sudden.

"Hey, um, Felix..."

"Tessa? What's wrong?" I ask tensely. "It is not good news you're about to tell me, am I right?"

"If you'd consider a friendly advice like that, it's on you."

"Should I be crying for help?"

"Jokes aside. Listen, whatever happens tonight on stage, please don't take it out on Agnes."

"What do you mean?"

"I know that you, most especially, are skeptical about what Agnes will do out there. But please, forgive her in advance. Can you do that?"

Forgive her in advance? What is this? Is there a kind of criminal scheme previously planned for me to finally be shamed and humiliated before the whole school?

"Tessa, you're making me more nervous than I already am. Agnes will not do anything like that to me. She promised," I say more convincingly to myself than to her.

She pats my shoulder. "Good luck to you both."

"Thank you."

* # * #

Your favourite characters need your votes and comments/suggestions because they are doing their best to get you hooked.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro