26. you make me feel

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

AGNES

Examinations begin the following week, which means every student is expected to be on their best behaviours for the next two weeks. This is mostly because the nature of exam protocol in St. Patrick Secondary School is severely strict.

One time, someone was made to repeat a year after he was caught with the wrong paper in an exam. It should have gotten worse than that if his father wasn't an honourable member of the school board.

As long as these two weeks last, selling cookies along the hallway during breaks and after class is now replaced with more academic activities. I spend more time in the library, sometimes my friends join me after school for a group reading session, and aunty Cherry helps with my chores at home to maximize my study time.

One by one, we write each paper to the best of our ability and knowledge. So far, Fine Arts and Literature are ranking the best I've written. On the conflicting side of the scale are subjects like Science and Geometry – but it's not like I would flunk those subjects though, they are really not my strengths.

After two tiring weeks of studying and shutting off all the fun things in my life, the exams come to an end, finally.

On the last day, I decide to walk home alone so I can enjoy some 'me' time, feel the wind in my face and appreciate the nice feeling of freedom from the stress of being a student.

The only thing on my mind is how I'll get to laze about today before my holiday officially starts, but all good plans quickly come to an end when I get further away from the school premises.

I stumble into Joey and her faction as they walk bumptiously toward me like lionesses ready to chase their prey to its death.

Great timing, I must say.

The three of them, especially Joey, bore furious eyes into my soul. I sincerely pray she isn't here to ask for a duel.

Who am I kidding? This situation doesn't seem like she's about to have a peaceful summit, and obviously, she won't fight fair. Her ever faithful companions walk by her side while she's in the middle, peacocking her way in my direction.

No one has to tell me I must tread carefully if I am to come out of this alive and unharmed.

"Agnes Carter, the witch. You must've thought the fight was over and done when you attacked me I'm sure," she grins wickedly.

I try really hard to control my temper.

In fact, forget that final thought. The nerve she has, talking to me like she owes me a pay back. I could deal with other people cordially and not engage any triggers, but with Joey, I don't have a single tolerable bone in my body to condone her overbearing venomous behaviour.

"Joey Augusta, the snake. Frankly speaking, we both know you'd be this shameless to confront me after giving you a lesson the other day. I see you even brought your minions once again."

"Don't get so cocky yet," one friend says.

"You might just regret it," the other adds.

I scoff, "oh please, what chance do you have?"

Joey looks at me with a smug. "You're so stupid I find it hard to believe Felix bothered himself."

I can rightly accuse these girls of fomenting my other side reserved for imperious queans such as Joey. To be honest, it's more of Joey and less of whatever they call me. I just can't stand her.

"You are all alone now and exams are over so I can do to you anything I please. I told you you'll be sorry when I get back at you, didn't I?"

"If this is about the other day, guess what, I am not sorry, and if I could, I would do it over again every day." I know I'm idiotically revving up her purpose for this confrontation, but I won't look like a helpless victim in front of Joey. Never.

"That's awesome. I'm happy you're not sorry so I won't hold back what I'm about to do."

My heart races at that one single warning but I don't show it on my face. It's three against one if it eventually comes down to what I presume, and I don't see anybody who might come to my rescue. The odds are stacked against me, sadly. And the sensible move to make now is to pacify her already blown up ego.

"Joey, what do you want?"

She smirks diabolically, moving closer towards me. I hold up a tightness inside my chest when unexpectedly, she slaps my cheek. "Now that's what I want."

My palm latches onto my face for a while as my anger fires up. This is wrong but I stop my mind from overthinking any potential consequence. When she least expects, I surprise her too with a taste of her own medicine.

"What!" She exclaims.

"Tell me if you're asking for a fight!" I challenge her, completely forgetting she had company.

Before I know it, her friends collaborate to take me down. They pull my hair and sink me to the ground. I feel hits all around my face and body. One yanks my hair firmly and I try fighting back, but it's almost as if I could blackout any minute.

Fortunately, someone comes to my rescue. He shoos them off and pulls me away from them.

"What is wrong with you?!" Ronald reprimands the girls.

Joey pushes him away to stand her ground. Her mouth shifts from a snarl to a victorious sneer. I imagine her to come at me again, but instead, she towers above me, blustering over her small feat. "This is only an example of what you'll get the next time you cross me."

I lay on the floor, miserable and defeated, close to tears and barely believing this is what my life has been reduced to.

Suddenly, a teeny tiny part of my subconscious reminds me of some things my mother told me before she died. 'Agnes, I might have failed you as a mother, I might have failed to stand up for myself and for us both when your father left us, but you, dear, you must not fail to stand up for yourself. Don't allow anyone take advantage of you or put you down no matter what. Let them see you for the brave and strong girl you are.'

I know it does not apply in this situation but the last sentence keeps echoing my head as I stand up. Ronald attempts to help dust off the dirt on my clothes.

"Sorry, Agnes. I couldn't help you on time. They shouldn't have done that to you."

"No. Don't feel sorry for me. I won't let her get away with this."

Joey made me shed a tear. She must be fulfilled after seeing me defeated, but just watch as my tears ricochet this time around. On their way, I glare in their direction as they are still not over the thrill. Then I face Ronald, and together, we nod in agreement.

In one go, I catapult myself towards Joey's back to grab a good chunk of her hair. Straightaway, she lands on the floor and I easily couch on her stomach with her arms pinned to her side – it's good I wore a pair of jeans today.

Ronald, the kind gentleman, arrests Joey's two friends with his sturdy arms.

"Let go of me!" They cry as they struggle to free themselves from his grip.

With a handful of dirt from the floor, willing to shove it down Joey's throat, I begin to make my own threats. "How does it feel now, huh?"

She whimpers for help.

"Will you ever cross me again? You think you're the only one who should not be crossed, huh?" Her trembling body underneath delights me so much, I don't think I've ever seen her look this desperate before. "Will you cross me again?" I repeat my question even louder.

"No!" She blurts out after series of whining and struggling to break free.

"Will you ever bother me or my friends again?" She fights with herself to answer the question. To make my threat be more realistic, I bring my hand closer to her mouth.

"Never!" She finally squeals, sounding as if she is holding back tears.

"Will you let your friends trouble me again?"

"They're not my friends...! Please, let me go."

Oh. So she can actually beg someone. I thought the word 'please' is nowhere to be found in her vocabulary.

"What!" One of her friends react in shock.

"Agnes was damn right about you. You're such a backstabbing slut! You deny us after all we've done for you!" The other one adds.

"And you both are cowards! How could you let her do this horrible thing to me?!"

"You can let go of us now. We have no business here," the first one says.

"Yeah. Let Agnes beat her up some more."

I almost snigger out loud, watching fake friends break up by my eye-opening act of service. One gesture and Ronald releases them before they angrily walk away.

"Are those girls really your friends? They could not even fight for you."

"That's because your bodyguard there stopped them!"

"Nope. It's because you're an overbearing and a selfish human being," Ronald tells her.

I look her up and down. "Why don't I allow you beg for your freedom? Maybe I would consider letting you go. Your friends already granted me the go-ahead to beat you up some more."

"Please," she forces the word out. "I've begged you. Now get off me!"

We both can tell she clearly doesn't mean that. But I've achieved my goal and I bet this should teach her a good lesson to never mess with me again.

I stand up and throw the dirt in my hand away. "You are lucky I was in a good mood today until you ruined it. You won't be so lucky next time."

She stands up to dust her clothes, glaring at me with evil eyes. "This isn't over yet."

"It certainly is."

She scurries away without another word.

"That should put her in her place from now on. Way to go Agnes!" Ronald laughs.

"As much as I hate Felix, I hate that witch much more. Just who the heck does she think she is? Parading around the school as if she's a person of importance."

"A queen bee, perhaps?"

"Queen bee, my foot!"

"But that was so badass retaliation! Seems you didn't need any help after all. That aside, there is a lot of grass in your hair. I can help you clean up."

How kind. "Thanks, Ronald. I appreciate it."

We walk together while I fix my messy hair.

* # * #

It will be nice of you to tell me how you like this chapter, specifically the violent scenes because action is certainly not my forte.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro