35. you make me feel

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

AGNES

"Merry Christmas!!!"

I hear people shouting in my dream, or am I still dreaming?

As I roll over on the bed, gradually booting, I try remembering the last thing that happened the night before I faded into Dreamland. I think we were watching the final scene where the leads shared a kiss at the airport. Where was I at that time? Oh! My head was on Felix's shoulder!

Then I start to feel someone's eyes on me from the door, but I do everything imaginable to not find out who it is. Then again, I know who he is. I flutter my eyes open and find myself between Yvonne and Tessa who are still sound asleep.

"Merry Christmas, Agnes," the familiarity of his voice sends a wave of heat through my body.

I pretend to be sleepy, terrified of what I feel in my heart, but I cannot pretend for long. Slowly, I turn towards the door. He stands there with a lovely smile. I don't know why I subconsciously return his generous gesture. "Merry Christmas, Felix."

"Um, hey Agnes, we're over here," Xian weighs in jealously.

Then I notice Xian and Ronald beside the door, too. "Merry Christmas, Xian, and Ronald."

Two quick reminders for today; don't fluster in front of them, and keep feelings in check.

I wake Tessa and Yvonne bumpily as they sleep under the blanket like they are not prepared to leave the wonderland of their dreams. "Time to wake up, sleepyheads!"

Tessa yawns and stretches on the bed. "Please, don't wake me up! I'm still sleeping."

"Well, it's time to stop sleeping."

She reluctantly opens her eyes. "Ugh! Thanks a lot for ruining my fantasy concert, Agnes. I was in a live performance of Dear John, but you just had to spoil it for me before we even got to the bridge."

"You don't need that kind of fantasy right now, Tessa, because it's Christmas morning!"

"Holy molly! It's Christmas morning!" She jolts upright on the bed which in turn wakes Yvonne up.

"What time is it?" Yvonne rubs her sleepy eyes.

"It's Christmas morning, Your Royal Highness," Xian announces in a shrewd manner.

"Huh! It's Christmas morning?!" Yvonne wakes up fully, "really?! Why didn't anybody wake me up?"

The boys have been observing all this time and we just let them see us – well, mostly me in the most embarrassing time of the day. I still try to ward off the butterflies in my stomach though.

"Can the girls have some privacy?" Yvonne asks the boys.

Via a sad beautiful tragic coincidence, my eyes meet Felix's, and I catch him actually staring at me. His blue eyes trap mine until we get lost in some kind of silent communication. 

"Privacy for what?" Ronald asks. "Don't worry, there's nothing to be self-conscious about." He gases out a nasty stench of his morning breath. "See! We haven't brushed our teeth either."

And that extinguishes the fire – figuratively and fortunately. We cut communication, which is a good outcome from that disgusting act Ronald made. I shake my head blushingly and jump out of bed.

"Hey!" Xian fires at Ronald, his fingers pinching his nostrils.

"Do you mind?" Felix attacks him too.

"Don't try to act too saintly. You all have smelly mouths, too."

I hide a laugh as I fold the sheets.

"Yeah, we do. Are you satisfied?" Felix couldn't be more pissed.

Aunty Cherry joins us in the room bursting with high spirits. "Merry Christmas, everybody! I left this morning to buy toothbrushes for the guys. Get ready quickly because we are going out on a picnic today!"

"Woo hoo!" The boys cheer and finally leave us alone.

We endeavour to be fast, try on the new outfits Tessa and Ronald bought for us and to look our best, while considering not delaying the others or invoking aunty Cherry's wrath.

She enters my room, complaining. "How much time does it take three girls to get dressed?"

"A really long time," Tessa mumbles only to my hearing.

"Come on, aunty, we need to look good today," Yvonne says, grooming her brown hair in front of the mirror.

"Besides, it's Christmas. We should have all the time," Tessa adds as she modifies the waistline of her flay skirt to suit perfectly.

Aunty Cherry changes her tone from excited to a little less excited. "Just hurry up. The boys are waiting."

"Five minutes," I appeal while trying to lace my trainers. When I look up towards the door, she isn't there anymore. She must have walked out of the room dissatisfied. "Let's hurry up before aunty Cherry changes her mind." I urge Yvonne and Tessa.

FELIX

We take a bus to the last terminal, and then we walk uphill to an elevated open field where we can see the entire town with a glance. After we set the picnic baskets and mat and every other thing we'll need, we settle down to appreciate the beautiful view.

As the sun rises to a million degrees much later, we retire from the sports we have been playing all morning; the girls against boys, losing count of scores right in the middle of all the fun. Then we sit underneath the shade of an Amelanchier tree to gaze at the distant horizon.

The air is pacific and the view is great. I wonder how the town would look under the moonlight from up here. One day, if I'm lucky, I may bring my special someone to this place just to look at the sky, maybe let our desires wash over us...

Wait... what the hell! What are these thoughts?

"Felix!" Xian beckons on me to come meet him in a corner.

I get up unnoticed to walk to him. Together, we move over a distance where the others are not within earshot. A good half of me is happy that we finally have a chance to talk, while the other half – freaking scared to death.

"Why did you bring me out here?" I ask him.

"I want to ask you something and I want you to be very honest with me."

"W-what is it?" I ask again, horribly worried.

"What are your plans for Agnes?"

Now that's a blank space that hasn't been filled until now, the very same reason we dissociated ourselves. Well, here we are starting this heart-to-heart dialogue, except this time, things have changed, I have changed, and my foolish plans, I guess that must've changed too.

"Tell me the truth. Do you still want to hurt her feelings? She's already a friend and I clearly see that both of you are sincerely comfortable with each other's company."

Am I that obvious, or is he the only one that can see how relaxed I am around Agnes lately? Just how much have I changed over the last month? "Xian... I don't think I intend to hurt her feelings anymore. Yes, I was angry and frustrated then, so naturally, I was not thinking correctly. I even shunned your advice because the burning rage took a hold of my sense of reasoning, but now, I can't imagine hurting her feelings."

My speech knocks him for a loop. I can see it in his eyes.

"Ironic, isn't it?"

We both turn towards her direction, observant of her laugh with Tessa over some joke.

She isn't just a pretty face. Honestly, there are no words that can describe how unusual she is from the other girls I've had fleeting flings with. I don't know why I find her so special.

"I truly care about her. You may not believe me but I really like Agnes."

Xian smacks my shoulder so hard I lose my gaze and face him instead. "What did you say?! You like Agnes?"

I have no choice but to agree with a nod. I could shy away from it for as long as possible but the truth remains the same. Besides, this is a heart-to-heart talk with my best friend, I can't lie in a moment like this.

"And if she eventually falls for you too?"

Oh Lord! I hope she doesn't, at least not until I figure a way out of the mess I'm in and save her from what lies ahead. I do not care about losing the bet, as long as I don't lose her trust.

Hold on! Why on earth am I thinking this way?! I don't love Agnes. I shouldn't see myself falling in love with anyone.

"You do love her, don't you?" He asks the exact question I avoid like a plague.

"Come on, Xian. Don't even start this nonsense with me. I've told you already."

"If you love her, just admit it. Stop holding onto that stupid belief of love not existing. You know deep, deep down that it truly exists."

"I don't love her, okay. I consider her my friend and that's it."

"Then what's going to happen to your deal?"

Are there ways to get out of here? I don't want to be here any longer. Xian keeps grilling me on things I completely want to ignore. "Listen, I've forgotten about it. We can just pretend it never happened," I lie. I doubt if I'm ready to tell him that this little secret of ours is now in the open.

"I hope you are telling me the truth. I am taking your word for it."

"Yes. Nothing but the truth."

"Don't you dare go back on your words like you did in the past because that will surely cost you our friendship, okay?" He casually threatens.

I won't even consider it a threat. Knowing Xian, he is capable of doing whatsoever he says. So I must take this as a caution. "Why are you being so harsh on me lately?" I ask sheepishly.

"Just be good." He pats my shoulder. "Let's join them."

Then he walks over to join the others but I stay back, thinking about our conversation.

The sun sets swiftly, giving us no choice than to leave the beautiful scenery. We make a detour to the church before ending a marvellous time spent together.

As carol hymns hum in the cathedral, we all say a prayer, mine generally related to my budding friendship with Agnes. I conclude with personal issues like family and stuff.

After saying our prayers, we gather outside.

"Today was fun, wasn't it?" Ronald asks.

"Hell yeah! And I can't wait to open all my gifts tomorrow!" Yvonne chatters with excitement.

"Guys, I hate to say, but it's time to go home. It was really fun today," aunty Cherry announces. The others wave their goodbyes, except me.

I face Agnes squarely, looking into her eyes and my rational senses tell me not to lose myself in them. "Thanks for today."

She smiles, "you too. I'll see you tomorrow."

I stop myself from daring to kiss her cheek, but I wave before making my exit. A perfect way to end the perfect day

* # * #

What is your favourite holiday?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro