39. you make me feel

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

School resumes the following year. Everyone in school sees how close Agnes and Felix become, much to their surprise.

They practically do everything together, just as how she supports Felix when he is on the field, or when they go around advertising the cookie business.

Other popular friends who often hang out with Felix to chat about football or some trash talks, and the girls who flirt to get his attention don't any longer, since he's almost always around his new group of friends. They choose to stay clear in order not to stir trouble as a considerable lot even speculate they are an official couple.

Neither of them deny the rumours, but they do enjoy the privileges – Agnes will have no cause to paint Felix the playboy for instance.

While the group sit in first row of the bleachers to plan for the workshop and cookie business, a resentful Joey glares at them from a distance. Her appearance says nothing more than anger, bitterness and sheer hatred. She doesn't move about with her old friends after the encounter with Agnes. Her reign as the school's Mean Girl hasn't persisted ever since before it died and is completely forgotten.

Rex sees her staring and works up the nerve to meet her. "Hi, Joey."

Joey slowly turns to him and her not so pleased expression changes to revulsion. "Ugh! I forgot that you existed. I can't seem to get away from you, can I?"

"I know you don't want to talk but you can hear me out, at least."

She hesitates. "What do you want from me?"

He traces her eyes back to where she has been glaring. "Have you been observing from here?"

"Are you crazy?"

"Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not wrong. You don't seem too satisfied now that Felix has found his happily ever after. You're jealous, aren't you?"

She stares intent daggers at him but he doesn't feel intimidated. He came prepared and wants to have this conversation with her by all means from the defiant look on his face. "Who are you to ask me that? Of course not!"

"It's like they have become very good friends," he says after another glance at the six-member group.

"Don't be an idiot! Does it look like I care about them?!" She walks ahead to shuffle away from his invading questions.

He follows her behind. "I know you better than you may think."

She turns around to rebuke him. "Will you stop stalking me?!"

"Don't fool yourself in denial. There's no doubt Agnes and Felix are so into each other, and you know it."

She stops herself from lashing into a furious fit with a fist so tight, the colour on her face fades. Endurably, the steam in her calms down. "Felix is old news, and Agnes is just a piece of garbage he's going to dump very soon."

"You think?" He arches his brows, going closer. "Do you believe Felix isn't serious about dating Agnes? Wake up, Joey! Stop daydreaming!"

She fires him with a terse "get lost!" And forges ahead.

"Should I stop talking to you now? Do you want me to stop talking to you after you went ahead to break your promise?"

She halts.

"Why did you tell Felix you knew about the bet after you promised me you wouldn't tell?"

Seconds after, she turns back. "I promised you I wouldn't tell anyone. You know what? I don't regret breaking that promise. In fact, that's the biggest mistake, I should've told Agnes instead. Then I'll see if they can be this happy with each other afterwards."

"What the hell!" He throws his hand in the air.

"Just keep that infuriating tantrum to yourself. You don't tell me what to do."

He scoffs, "unfortunately, what's done is done. It's too late for you to do anything because she has already fallen for him."

She lets out an evil laugh, "you really are stupid to be honest."

His head cocks to one side.

"That'll make it all the more exciting and heart-breaking for Agnes. All I just have to do is plant the seed of betrayal, sit back, then watch as the seed grows to crumble their dumb relationship to the ground. This is certainly going to be fun."

"You're insane!" He exclaims in surprise. "How can you think of something that terrible?"

"Agnes deserves to know the truth, right? And what time is the best to reveal Felix's dirty little secret? That doesn't sound terrible."

"Just when will you be happy? Felix has moved on from you, why on earth are you still hung up on him?"

"Please shut up! Says the guy who deceived his friend into striking a deal he thought would just be for fun."

Rex looks away. "Thanks for reminding me, and because of what you said, Felix doesn't want to talk to me. What more if you tell Agnes? He will hate me for sure."

"Tell me why he should hate you. Did you force him to strike the deal? He was in his right sense when he deliberately agreed to it, and anything that happens to him now is his fault. He should take the blame, not you."

Rex starts to process what she says in his head. "You're right!" He beams, "after all, I did try my best to warn him. I even mentioned my regrets but he still went ahead with his advances. Now that we don't talk like we used to, why would I bother myself about him?" 

"I know I'm right."

"Felix wouldn't be so happy if it wasn't for me."

"Hey!" She reprimands him. "Felix is not happy with Agnes, do you understand me?! He's only confused."

"Confused or not, nothing you do will bring him back to you. He'll also hate you for sure."

"Better that than being happy with Agnes."

He lets out a sigh of exhaustion. "You will be so much better if you can only move on from him, I'm telling you."

She takes a confrontational step nearer to him, until they are a few centimetres apart. "Wanna know something?" Her voice changes to a dark humourless tone. "I can't."

He blinks his eyes repeatedly. "You... you can't! What are you talking about?"

"Everything I felt for Felix were real. They never went away," she sighs, lips quivering under her breath. "I'm in love with Felix, but I only kept it to myself because I know his true character. He doesn't believe my love for him, and I assumed maybe after our break-up, he will perhaps date the next person on his dating list, and I thought Agnes was that next person, but no! He is more devoted to Agnes than anything in his life. Why Agnes? Why her?"

"But... but... I thought..." Rex stutters.

"Rex, I'm begging you, please don't waste your time chasing the wind. Besides, right now, I will be too busy thinking of how to make that witch suffer when she learns the truth."

He stands still for a good ten seconds of shock. "Wow!"

"Agnes is so going to regret being Felix's friend, and I am going to make sure of that," Joey says with determined wistfulness in her eyes.

Silence hangs in between as Rex takes the time to recover from the emotional knock out.

Joey stares him in the eye. "You and I? That will never happen, ever."

"While you're busy doing what you do best, I'm going to prove to you that you belong with me, and you'd be better off without Felix." 

"Well, good luck with that," she says and walks away from him.

Rex gradually tears up as he watches Joey leave him behind. Immediately a tear drops, he sucks the rest up and sniffles. "This isn't over yet."

* # * #

So, this is quite a short chapter for two reasons. First of all, this is not a main character POV, but you already know that. Actually, I was going for a test of my ability in writing in the third person objective. Am I good at it? I think so, but it is all for the story. I apologize if your expectation for this chapter was cut short... pun intended.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro