58. you make me feel

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

FELIX

(Two Weeks Later)

After Agnes had moved to the other side of the world, I become more cocooned, and when I'm bored of myself, I hang with my friends most of the time at the workshop.

I haven't said a word about Agnes to dad yet, I hope he doesn't ask about her either. Actually, if I remember correctly, he doesn't bother, not even out of concern.

At the workshop, I pay my friends one last visit before my own highly anticipated departure.

"Hey guys."

Yvonne, Tessa and Ronald leave their posts and cluster around me.

"This is the point where we start crying, right?" Yvonne asks.

"I'm tired of goodbyes. It's exhausting!" Ronald sighs. "But let's not get so gloomy. Who knows, his flight might get cancelled."

I crack a depressing smile. "I wish for that more than anyone."

"Hey, we got you. I know that it has been quite difficult for you after everything, and especially now that you are leaving soon, but we promise we'll always be here whenever you need us."

"Ronald, Tessa, Yvonne, frankly, I have no idea what I would have done without you. I'm really grateful you guys are here."

"Speaking of, what's up with Xian?" Tessa asks. "He hasn't come to say his goodbye, has he? Is he shy or what? He didn't come to work today, or did he travel without saying a word?"

I laugh, "no, no, he's just feeling a bit under the weather. This whole breaking up and going our different ways is really taking its toll on him."

"Maybe he's missing us already," Yvonne says.

"Yes, and I've already told him to accept it as it is, but he doesn't want to listen to me."

"You cannot blame him. He must be feeling like he's been exiled from home and his best friend to move to an entirely new environment."

"It wouldn't be hard for him. He can speak their language, I'm not sure if he can read and write. He doesn't have a problem," Ronald states.

Aunty Cherry walks in with a container of fresh supplies. Ronald assists her with the container, after which they start putting the snacks out on display.

"Felix, thank goodness you're here."

I feel aunty Cherry and I still have an unfinished business to discuss on. Ever since Agnes left for the States, we haven't had the time to sit down and have a proper conversation about the little chaotic family dinner at my house. Everywhere I go, it seems we avoid the topic when it's such heavy burden on my conscience. I also need to give my sincere apology to erase the mark that event left on all of us.

"Uh, aunt, can I talk to you?"

"I also want to talk to you, Felix."

Yvonne and Tessa give us some privacy as they walk over to the counter to help Ronald.

"About the other day at the hospital, I'm sorry. I was just worried."

"Oh no, please aunt, don't apologize to me, it's embarrassing. I should be the one to apologize to you—"

"No! It was my fault. I know you had absolutely nothing to do with what went down that night. I was really angry and I needed someone to put the blame on at that moment. Finding Agnes in that condition kind of reminded me of the time I tried helping my older sister get better before she passed. I was so scared."

"I understand, aunty Cherry. Many things have already happened during this short period, and I know what it's like to spat for some release."

"So, what has your family said about this whole situation?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Nothing. And I want it to remain that way. If I have this conversation with them, I'll say words I know I'll regret later."

"I see. Sorry I asked."

I give her a quaint smile, she does same and we finally reach a settlement. This is what a family should stand for, not one who keeps me in the dark and takes away my hope of light. Blood or not, I will take these people as my number one priority.

We eventually join the others at the counter. A while later, one customer in form of a tall, dark, fine-looking young gentleman approaches. We fail to see him as seriously as aunty Cherry does with the way her keen eyes are fixed on him.

"Hello," he greets with one hell of an appeal.

"Hello there," aunty Cherry replies, star-struck as ever.

"I want to buy two bagels, please."

"Just two bagels?"

"Yeah. I work not too far from here. I just need something sweet to boost my energy"

"Sure." In clumsy rush, she presents two bagels wrapped in a paper bag. On the side, she offers him a chocolate cupcake.

He furrows his forehead, one side glance at her then the rest of us. "I didn't ask for a cupcake."

"It's on the house."

"Oh... thank you. Can I taste it?"

We, chilling at the background exchange offish, but reserved smiles. If the young man can't see what's going on, I'm sure the rest of us can. She is totally hitting on him.

"Of course, I'd like to know what you think." He takes a big bite from the crown of the cupcake, slowly chewing till he ingests the deliciousness packed inside the dessert.

"This is amazing! Where do you get such dainty cupcakes?"

"Well, you're looking at her," Tessa says, justly elaborating the focus on aunty Cherry with her hands on her shoulders.

Whereas, aunty Cherry does nothing but blush her cheeks away. "Please, I'm not that great."

"No kidding!" The man exclaims.

"I know right, she's so humble," I chip in.

"I'm happy to be acquainted. Do you mind? I'd like to know the name of such incredible chef."

"You can call me Cherry."

"I'm Nicky, short for Nikolas, but my friends do call me Nick... oh I'm sorry I'm giving you a hard time choosing."

"I like Nicky... uh... I mean your nickname."

The rest of us snicker mischievously at the look on their faces. They clearly fancy each other.

"It's nice meeting you, Cherry."

"Same."

"I hope to see you some time again."

"Sure. I'll be here." They end their conversation but they don't really do since they keep staring at the other nonstop.

We trade ominous looks, share a nod, and then together, we clear our throats so stridently any interchange they were having under our noses had to stop.

"Bye," Nicky says and walks ahead.

She watches him go with her head still far stuck in cloud nine.

"Isn't it lovely?!" Ronald asks us, "just when we thought we won't have a lovey-dovey couple in the garage anymore."

I hold up a smile, meanwhile deep inside, I start to miss the love of my life all over again.

"You ever heard of somebody with champagne problems? Trying to use alcohol to forget about difficulties in life because they are unimportant and trivial."

She looks up, puzzled. "Maybe, I guess. Why?"

"I'm thinking that's something my dad is doing. He doesn't take this situation with his daughter seriously."

"Oh. Am I supposed to be surprised?"

Aunty Cherry and I wait at the garage until dark at about late o'clock, after the others had gone home already. We talked at length about some stuff, just random things; about Agnes and our relationship, distressing topics like dad's past.

"I'm still in shock to learn that you of all people brought back a family connection that has long been buried. Who'd have thought?"

"I have only seen this kind of stuff on TV shows and drama series. I didn't expect it'd happen in real life."

"Funny, eh."

"You know, I'm truly glad this happened. Agnes has been battling with herself for years. I think it's not completely wrong to say that it was the proximity that made her uneasy all along."

"That is one of the reasons I sent her abroad to stay with my brother. At first, I assumed he will come for Agnes after learning the truth, but up until now, he hasn't called or anything."

I roll my eyes at the very thought. Is it me or his behaviour is the strangest I've seen? And I have seen a lot of strange behaviours.

"Anyway, it's getting late. We better leave."

"Yeah. I have a whole day to face tomorrow."

"A whole day indeed."

"I wonder if Agnes is enjoying her new home."

"Last I checked, she's been exploring the cities, travelling all around. She even went to visit the Coney Island amusement parks."

The hairs behind my neck stand erect. "What!"

"Tell me, isn't that a vacation?"

"A goddamn vacation alright!"

"I'm beginning to think my brother and his wife are spoiling her too much."

"It's never too much to spoil Agnes."

She issues an endearing laugh, "aren't you guys the cutest couple?"

"It's not cute. She is not here and I can't do any of that." I will do anything to see Agnes's smile. Really, I would. Obviously, she's already having that without me.

She puts a hand on my shoulder. "Tsk. I'm very sorry. I hate that after everything, you both still had to go separate ways."

"It's alright. As long as she recovers herself and heals faster, it doesn't matter the distance. It's also a good decision you made so she can be as far away as possible from that man."

"He's still your dad, you got to respect that."

"Stepfather, you mean. We both know that any relative with a 'step-' means they're evil."

"It doesn't have to be like that, you know. If his relationship with Agnes didn't work out, please don't let the same happen to you."

I smile briefly. Dad and I don't even have a sort of practical relationship, so I don't see how her advice is applicable to me. Even if I try to mend things with him, he and Agnes should reconcile first, and since there isn't a chance of that ever happening, I guess it'll be left the way it is. And besides, I simply can't fathom both of us being okay in any possible sense.

Ugh! Enough of dad, he's not worth my time. "I have not spoken with Agnes for a while. I hope she's not too angry."

"I haven't either. I only speak through Bernard. She's trying to get a new line, so that's going to take a while. You're excused for the meantime, don't worry."

"Thank goodness."

Eventually, we get ourselves ready to leave the workshop. I wait outside while she locks up and keeps the key in its usual hiding spot

We continue talking as we walk together.

"Every now and then, I'm wishing she can come back and be here with us. This garage feels kind of empty without her."

She smiles, "I get that."

* # * #

I want to believe you're excited for the ending. Writing this chapter, I just visualized a romance set in Paris, the very city of love. As usual, vote and comment below.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro