25 | unconditional surrender

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

When I wake up, I'm laying in bed that's not my own, quilt covers tucked all the way up to my chin. Slowly, I begin to rustle, a sharp jolt of pain immobilizing my limbs as I attempt to sit upright. The mattress dips enough to cushion my aching lower back. In shock, I notice my wounds have been tended, a white bandage securely covering my limbs, though splotches of red stain the inner layers of the gauze. A sharp pain jolts up my spine, earning a strangled gasp from me. Wounds are still very fresh, and they gush a little more with every move, small or big.

As my eyes adjust to the pitch-black room, I realize I'm in Tara's bedroom. I'd recognize that luxurious creme ottoman chair and grey stained marble vanity anywhere. Thankfully, none of the blood has leaked onto her heathered cashmere sheets or her rose gold silk pillow.

"Do you think she's okay? She hasn't left the bedroom since...you know," a voice I recognize as Kassie's drifts through the crack of the ajar door.

"I'm so worried," Faye responds, voice breaking, and I imagine her shaking her head, "I've never ever seen her like this. I really thought she was gonna die when we found her. That was...a lot of blood loss."

"It is a lot to process," Tara agrees, quietly. "We shouldn't tell her right now. She's gonna freak out."

Huh? Tell me what? What are they keeping from me?

"You're right," Kassie agrees, sighing, "we'll tell her when she's better."

Okay, now I'm really curious. Starting to stir underneath the covers, I force my knees to bend over the ledge of the bed, ignoring the rippling of agony shooting up my scarred arms. One foot after another, I manage to teeter so I can stand up, and gingerly turn the knob.

The four of them freeze, wide-eyed when they realize that I'm on the other side of the threshold.

"Hey..." Faye greets, eyelids droopy as she flashes me a tentative smile that is meant to be comforting, yet in actuality is anything but, "are you feeling any better?"

"Yep," I insist curtly, immediately sensing the uneasiness radiating off these girls. Something is wrong, I can feel it, and it's not only what happened to me. If their weird behavior is any indication, this secret they're keeping from me must be serious. "So what were you talking about?"

"Oh it's nothing you need to worry about," Tara lies, waving her hand dismissively as she crosses her arms, "you should really go back to bed."

"No," I bit out, standing my ground. I want the truth. Nothing less. Especially after what I've experienced, I think they can give me that at the very least. "Tell me now."

Kassie and Tara exchange a subtle look of hesitancy that does not go unnoticed by me. "Lee, I don't think you need the added stress—"

"For God's sake, tell me now," I repeat, voice small. "I'm tired of you guys walking on eggshells around me. I'm not a child. I'm capable of handling shit on my own, ya know?"

Silence fills the space, building a wall to separate us. The four of them take a moment to deliberate, all of them too nervous to be the first one to make a definite decision. There's no going back now, anyway. Might as well tell me, because I'm not going to let this go any time soon.

"Fine," Kassie finally gives in, running a hand through those short purple locks of hair, "we need to talk. Follow me."

Doing what's told, I trail behind them as we walk in a slightly curved line to the living room; past the Renaissance painting hung on the off-white walls and sparkling crystal chandeliers hung from the lavishly columned ceiling. Once we reach our destination, each of them claims their respective seats: Halle and Kassie on the floor; Tara and Faye sandwiched together on the L-shaped couch. Anxiously, I follow their leads, wincing as I sit down on a beanbag.

"So," Kassie begins, averting eye contact, and fiddling with the hem of her buttoned shirt instead. "You know how Halle has to have kidney surgery right?"

I frown, unsure of where this is going. "...Yeah."

If possible, she sinks down further into the floorboards. Her shoulders slump with an expression of mixed emotions I couldn't quite read. Frustration? Anger? Numbness? It's all the same to me now. "And you're aware that the hospital is all the way in Michigan, correct?"

Her grim tone only sparked more confusion from my end. My frown deepens. "...Yeah."

"Well..." she drifts off, taking a deep breath, "we're gonna leave to get the surgery, but we're not gonna come back."

Individually, those words are understandable. But together? My brain couldn't quite comprehend what she is saying. Or maybe I'm in denial. They can't leave me. Not after what happened. Not after what their family did to me. They can't and they won't. It's not fair.

"I'm coming with you," the words leave my lips before I can fully register what I'm saying; before I can even think. They sounded so...natural.

Stunned, Faye whips around to face me, her inky hair falling over her frail decolletage which is displayed over her thin striped, spaghetti strap tank top. "Lee, you can't be serious—"

"I'm coming with you," I repeat, this time with more force, unsure if I am trying to convince her or myself. "There's nothing left for me here. I can't stay. Not when everything I see reminds me of her."

"Lee, think about what you're saying before you do anything impulsively!" Faye bites back, reeling in astonishment, "nothing left for you here? What about me? Don't I matter to you? What about graduation? You're not gonna be able to go to college—"

"I don't care about that anymore!" I retort chest heaving, "all my life—all the choices I've made in life were for her. This is my life, and I'm tired of living for someone else. I'm doing this for myself and myself only."

Another silence—this time much more suffocating and extensive. Neither of the other girls looks like they want to interject. I don't blame them. What are they supposed to say in a situation like this? I've made up my mind, though, and there's no going back now.

On the other hand, my best friend makes a face that suggests she's a lot more worried about my ultimatum than myself. With both hands she plays with the ends of her hair, twirling the tendrils between her fingers so they knot together. "Then I'm leaving too."

It's my turn to send her a look of apprehension. "What? Faye you can't! You have a family here. Think about them."

"You can't leave me!" she retorts, a single tear streaking down her cheek, ruining her makeup. Mascara smudges and drips down her delicate heart-shaped jaw. "Not after we lost your mom. I can't lose you too. Not after I just got you back. Not on my watch. Hell no."

Rendered completely speechless, I gape at her. "Zhangster—"

"No," she exclaims, shaking her head as she gets up to leave, "you do not get to call me that anymore. If you ever leave me, I will never ever fucking forgive you."

"You sure you wanna do this?" Tara murmurs, helping me fold some of my clothes into a black Jansport backpack. Should've seen this coming from her too, though I thought she'd be more considerate after the massive blow-up with Faye. I suppose she is coming from a place with nurturing intentions, so it doesn't bother me as much as it should. The implication that she doesn't think I'm making the right choice and that I don't know what I want for myself is very present in her body language. Her back is rigid like a board, and she's only speaking in a hushed tone that sounds so brittle.

"I've never been more sure of anything in my entire life," I reply curtly, zipping the bag shut and adding it to the pile near the doorway. On the right, I have all my belongings, arranged neatly thanks to Kass. On the left are my mother's possessions, waiting to be donated. After the small, yet intimate funeral, I was left with the small amount of money in her account that was used to pay for the casket and the rest of her jewelry she brought with her from the states from China. Not that many people showed up, as expected. Besides us, her boss from Lucky House and Faye's parents came to bid their goodbyes, though I didn't see them because I was hiding in one of the offices since I was a sobbing wreck the entire day. While it does suck that I couldn't give her the grand ceremony she deserves, I'm thankful no one got to see me as I cried relentlessly for hours and hours. Crying seems like the only thing I've been doing recently, so now I think my eyes should be dried forever.

"It's just that—"

"This is not Faye's choice, nor is it yours," I interject, emptying the last article of clothing from my drawer, which is a pair of plaid pajama pants my mom bought me and slamming it shut.

"Oh I'm not worried about her or me," Tara clarifies, shifting on her feet. "Faye will move on. Eventually. I know her. Stubborn as hell, but she's more understanding than you might think. Who I am worried about is you."

"Me?" I echo in disbelief, stopping in my tracks, "Why would you need to worry about me?"

"I wanna make sure you're doing this because you really really really want to," she explains, taking a seat in our large leather swivel chair. "Not because you are running away from some man. You need to face your problems head on not run away from them—"

"And look at how well fighting a losing battle worked," I reply bitterly, sorting through a few of my old sheet music papers that have collected dust in between the folded ridges. I still have my old bass, so maybe these will come in handy eventually.

"Lee, you know I didn't mean it like that," she sighs, crossing her legs and folding her hands over her lap where the dress she's wearing concaves. "I want to make sure that you truly are doing this for yourself. That this will make you happy. This is not a small decision to make. You really need to think this out because it could really affect your future and—"

"Tara, I know what I'm doing," I respond, filling up my last suitcase with some toiletries, "I'd rather take a risk at being happy than to stay content and comfortable for the rest of my life. If it turns out to be a mistake and I regret it, then that's okay. I'll learn from it. That's a part of the journey, isn't it?"

Instead of saying anything, she simply nods, and we resume to pack up the rest of the stuff on my desk which is mainly stationary stuff like pens and spiral notebooks. It's honestly so weird seeing the shelves, once filled to the brim with Chinese good luck charms and old herbal medicines, are completely bare. It's funny, really, because there was a time that I wished we lived in a mansion with hundreds of rooms and maids that would cater to my every desire. And, in a way, I resented my parents because they were unable to provide me with that. However, sitting here now, I realized that this space—this is my home, and there is nowhere else I'd rather spend my adolescence. All the memories made here would forever hold a special place in my heart. No amount of distance could change that.

"Lee?"

"Yeah?" I mutter, running a hand over the surface of one of the book shelves, memorizing every crevice and cut.

"I'm going to miss you. So damn much."

My stomach does a somersault. Although I haven't been friends with her for long, she is definitely going to be one of the only people I will miss from Cape Bedford. Collecting my composure, I meet the intensity of her gaze.

"Tara..." I murmur, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear, "I'm going to miss you too, but this doesn't have to be the end. Just promise me this one thing—"

"Sure. Anything," she says, eagerly.

"Take care of Faye. She likes her tangyuan cooked soft. Only the black sesame flavor. And when she's mad she won't talk to you for a while, but you have to go and bother her anyway. Make sure you never ever call her by her Chinese name or else she'll smack you. And her favorite brand of tarot cards is Daily Oracle—"

"Okay," she whispers, eyes glassy. "You have my word."

Cape Bedford's train station hasn't changed much since the last time I've been here. Businessmen, phones pressed to their ears and suitcases in hand, are still rushing onto the platform. Children, smiling at their parents as they cascade down the escalator. A large stretch of benches made of sleek black wood have replaced the wiry ones. Crazy to think that months ago I was here with two boys I barely even knew, trying to find someone who is standing next to me, holding her sister's hand. The station might not have changed much physically, but the feeling—the atmosphere is different. Luggage in hand, I take a moment to admire the embellished dome ceiling, the dirty yellow caution lines, and the long line in front of the ticket center. I memorize every part of this station because it could potentially be the last time I ever step foot here.

A static crackles from the intercom, and the conductor tells us that our train is coming in exactly 20 minutes. Gingerly, Kass, Lulu, Halle and I walk around to find a seat. We settled on a simple concrete block situated in the middle.

Munching on a flaky pastry Lulu has given her, Halle turns her attention to her phone, where she's playing a game of Candy Crush. Yesterday, Kassie told me they met up with their other mom to bid their goodbyes. From what I've heard, all of them are on okay terms now, and that she's extremely sorry about what happened. There's no need for her to be. It wasn't her fault.

Still no word from Faye since we've fought a week ago. Disappointed, I was hoping she'd show up in a grand display to proclaim her unwavering love for me. We might've left on a sour note, but I still do consider her to be my best friend. I thought our friendship meant more to her than that. Guess not.

Because I'm hungry, I buy a Taro milk tea from one of the stands per Kassie's suggestion. The counter the worker is hiding behind displays large jugs full of the different sweet drink flavors, and it looks like a rainbow. As I'm about to reach in my pockets for my wallet, the man behind the counter shakes his head, his triangular paper hat falling a bit off his greasy dark hair.

"It's on the house," he tells me, warmly, handing me my order. The cup is cold to the touch, the condensation collecting onto my palms.

"Oh," I blurt, unsure of what else to say, "thank you."

Sheepishly, he smiles, and something clicks in my head. This man is completely and utterly familiar. Reaching in the depths of my long term memory, I realize it's the ticket bearer that was arguing with Faye's father.

Confused, I return to the bench where the rest of the girls are. As usual, they're arguing about something Halle said that is stupid. A bell chimes, signaling that our train will be here soon, and that we should be prepared to board. To make sure, I glance at a sign where neon letters flash by at an alarming speed that has all the respective train numbers and their times to confirm. Sure enough, the one to Michigan is coming within the next 15 minutes. Together, the four of us walk down the tunnels and scan our ticket to enter.

A rush of wind blows at us, signaling a train is coming very soon. The smoke clogs my nasal passages.

This is the end. Too late to turn back now.

Suddenly, the pounding of someone's footsteps against the concrete fills my eardrums. Ignoring it, I continue to walk down the platform, wheeling my luggage, making sure I'm far enough from the yellow lines so I don't fall in.

"Lee! Wait!" a voice behind me calls, breathless.

Behind me, Faye is running at full speed, a plastic bag slung on the crook of her elbow, Tara following closely next to her.

Anxiously, I halt, and Kassie does the same. Lulu and Halle, as perplexed as I am, follow suit. Panting, Faye hands me the bag on her arm.

"What's this?" I ask, sticking my hand inside. A plush fabric kisses my palm.

"Your mom's Canada Goose Jacket. I even washed all the blood off of it and everything—"

"Jeez, you could've gone without that detail," I grumble, hooking the bag over my luggage handle. I can't help but feel excited seeing her here with me. I know this isn't the last time we're going to see each other, but my heart still lurches a little at that possibility.

"Sorry," she laughs, blotting her eyes with a crumpled tissue. "I wanted to say I'm really fucking sorry. I said I wasn't gonna lash out on you when I'm jealous and I did exactly that. You don't deserve any of that. But I want you to call me everyday, okay? If you don't I will hunt you down, I swear, so don't try me."

She's actually sobbing now. Full-blown snotty nose and hiccups and everything.

"Stop crying," I tell her, shaky hands holding hers, "if you cry then I'll cry too, and I'm tired of crying."

"I can't help it," she giggles, taking a deep breath, "I miss you so much already."

"Okay," I mutter, trying to find a way to stop her, "think about something else. Do you have your tarot cards on you?"

"Y—Yeah."

"Give me a reading. One last time."

Fumbling in her pocket, she pulls out a deck of cards and shuffles them. Then, she draws the first one, laying it flat on the back of her free hand. "The World card upright. A sense of fulfillment and harmony."

"Oh. Sounds fancy."

She repeats the action. "The Hanged Man upright. A great sacrifice."

"Man, I would've loved to have gotten this card earlier."

Somehow, she manages to roll her eyes, laying one final card on top of her hand. "The Fool upright. This is a new beginning."

A new beginning huh?

"See," I say, touching her arm. "Maybe this—this was meant to be. This is fate."

Scoffing, she pockets her cards. "You never believed in this bullshit anyway."

Out of nowhere, the train pulls up next to us, and a bunch of passengers walks out, some of them pushing us on their way out. Our cue to leave. Holding back tears, I reach forward to hug Faye like it's the last time I'll ever see her. My arms tighten their grip around her waist, and she buries her face in the dip of my neck. Her wet cheeks dampen my bare skin.

"You're the best friend anyone could ever ask for," I mutter in her ear, rubbing slow circles on her back. "Don't ever forget that."

"Lee, I really hope that one day, you'll be happy."

"Okay," the conductor says using his microphone as he watches us, "time's up. Are you guys boarding or not?"

Unwrapping my arms around her, I give her one last look, mouthing to Tara to remember what she promised me. The girl in question simply nods, giving me a thumbs up.

Finally, we hop on board, making our way down the different cars and red cushion chairs.

Fortunately, all of us are able to find a seat towards the back, Lulu and Kassie on one side, and Halle and I facing them on the other. All of us keep our things stacked in the middle. Leaning her head on my shoulder, Halle quickly dozes into a deep sleep. Zipping quickly down the tunnel, the train pulls on its brakes and we're off.

Goodbye, Cape Bedford. You've been awful.

Peering out the window, I can't help but wonder if my mom would be proud of me right now. Scratch that, she would probably flip. Only, it's not her choice to make anymore.

A surge of content ripples up my spine as I concentrate on the light at the end of the tunnel.

This is a new beginning. A second chance. A new life.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro