2. Visitors

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

After Charles had answered more questions about Port Royal, we descended the steps to the great cabin, and we had not long settled to resume our sewing and copying when there came a knock on the door. I rose and headed toward it; then I paused to ask, "Is it now fitting that I respond?"

Charles looked up from his work, pursing his lips and bobbing his head. "Yes, I would think that would be proper form."

When I opened the door, Mister Jenkins greeted me, "Good morrow, Lady Camille. Cookery Mate wishes to speak with Captain." He tilted his head to the left at the mate and a young lad. "I know not what it is about, but he tells me it is a delicate matter of importance, and that it is best left to him."

I glanced over my shoulder to see Charles nodding, so I opened the door wider and said, "Please, do come in, Mate. I am sure he will see you."

"And young Titus, as well, Ma'am? Tis him what has the matter to discuss."

"Please."

As they entered, Charles pointed across the cabin to the dining table. "Shall we sit?"

Once settled around the end of the table, Charles said to Titus, "I recognise you from the last voyage."

"Yes, Sir, and this'll be my last."

"Oh, are you not happy with the ship?"

"Very happy, Sir. But 'tis too hard for my sister."

"Your sister?"

"I brung her aboard ta take ta Virginia and settle there." Titus shifted in his chair. "This is what I wanted ta talk about. Now knowin' the cabin boy ain't no boy, but a woman, my own sister also wants ta be known."

Charles shook his head. "It would not be safe for her to be known among the crew."

"She said if all know, rather than one or two, they will help pertect her. And we fear some will soon know. Her changes have well begun, and they's gettin' harder ta hide."

"What is her station?"

"In the cookery with me. I pertect her there and in the mess and at the heads."

"We could bring her here to assist with cleaning and serving." I turned to Cookery Mate. "Would this leave you with too few hands?"

"No, not at all, Ma'am. We's now got three of the freed prisoners down there helping with the extra meals, and there's no room for more."

"Fine, then." I turned to Titus. "What is her name?"

"Oliver." He laughed. "But only aboard. Olivia's her real one."

"Ooh! I love this name. Reminds me of the countess in Shakespeare's What You Will."

Titus furrowed his brow. "What's that, Ma'am?"

"A delightful play. I shall introduce her to it."

Charles chuckled. "Appears the decision is made, then."

"Oh, it is." I smiled at him. "This will solve more than one predicament."

I turned to Titus. "It will be safest if she is brought here and installed in the cabin boy's quarters. And if Mate permits, you can be the one to bring our meals here, allowing you to check on her three times each day."

"Brilliant, Camille." Charles pushed his chair back from the table, asking as he rose, "Is there any problem with this, Mate?"

The mate scrambled to his feet, smiling. "Perfectly solved, Sir." Then he tapped Titus on the shoulder. "To yer feet, lad. Tis not proper to be sittin when Captain stands."

Titus startled and leapt to his feet, catching the chair as it almost toppled behind him. "Sorry, Sir. Jest too happy ta be thinkin' straight."

Charles waved his hand. "Not a problem, lad." Then pointing toward the door, he continued, "It is best you have Olivia pack her belongings forthwith, and when done, you bring her here."

"Aye, Sir. Thank you, Sir. Thank you, Ma'am."

After Titus and the mate had left, I snuggled into an embrace with Charles, wiggling my face into his chest and humming with satisfaction. "Oh, how wonderful this has turned. A cabin maid to assist me."

"Might it not be wiser to have her continue her ruse? Become the new cabin boy, rather than a maid."

"She will be safe here in her true identity. Who would dare molest the captain's maid?" I shrugged. "Besides, there is little reason for her to leave these quarters; her brother will bring our meals and hers."

"True."

"Neither is there need to fetch water from the hogsheads; the hands can keep filled the one up top on the quarterdeck, and she can draw it into buckets from the pipe in the bath."

Charles nodded. "Fine thinking, Camille. She then needs to be outside for only the laundering."

"No, not even for that. Easier and cleaner to do it in the bath, and when she hangs it outside to dry, I can be there to assist and protect."

"I love the way your mind works."

"And I love the way you allow it to. Ruth told me that most men give little weight to women's opinions." I paused and reflected. "And I now see this was Father's attitude toward Mother – toward all women, it seems. He as much as said this at supper last evening."

"Indeed, he did, and it both surprised and shocked me."

I grimaced. "As it did me. So different from what I had thought of him all these years."

Charles tightened the embrace. "Mother often told me that men and women see things differently and that each must always consider the other's views and opinions. We make better decisions this way, and we grow stronger."

"She was a wise woman."

"Would that she were born to better circumstance, to better opportunity."

"A noble person is not by birth, Charles, but by their attitude, by their strength of character, by their deeds. Like you. You are far more noble than most of the titled men I have met."

"It pleases me you think this."

"Most everyone does. I think even Father sensed this."

We were silent for a while, then I lifted my cheek from his chest and nodded across the cabin. "I must remove the last of my things from Olivia's quarters."

Charles chuckled. "I had called it that because I was stuck for a word."

"I think your use of quarters was wonderfully appropriate. It made the space seem much more than a closet." 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro