37. Sails

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I followed Charles up the steps to the quarterdeck, and there I listened to Mister Cogswell give details, "From up the mast, Sir. Sails emerged from behind the tall islet."

"Thank you, Mister Cogswell. Tell me what you think of this."

"A ship, Sir. Likely heading to Port Royal."

"Does it offer any threat?"

"None, Sir." He paused and shook his head. "None, unless they alter course to come in here. Another pirate ship returning to the haven."

"We were told by Captain Cavendish and by others who had been held captive here, that there remained only three ships in their fleet. We sunk two and captured the third. None remain, so why might that ship head in here?"

"They could be other pirates, and they might sight us in here. See us as an opportunity, Sir?"

Charles pointed up at the masts; then he swung his arm around past the trees lining the strand. "From twelve miles, our bare poles and spars would be lost amid the background of trees. Even with a strong glass, we would be indistinguishable."

After Mister Cogswell had followed Charles' arm and explanation, he said, "OhI Yes, we would be invisible from out there. So, if no pirate ships remain, then might that ship come in seeking a protected anchorage, Sir? A place to refill their water, or maybe to careen and clean their bottom?"

"Indeed! Those are possibilities, though none pose a threat. But remember, Mister Cogswell, always consider the worst case. I did not say no pirate ships remain, only that none from this haven remain." Charles pointed southward. "What if they are pirates seeking ships to attack? Or they are searching for a place from which to prey on passing ships, and they see us as they near?"

"Yes, I see, Sir. A threat does exist."

"How have you instructed the lookout? I have heard no further reports."

"I have not instructed him, Sir."

"And why not?"

"Your orders are to immediately report to you any sighted sails, Sir."

"Indeed, but your acknowledgement to the lookout should have included an order to regularly report their movement, particularly any changes. The few seconds required for this will not alter the intent of immediately."

"Aye, Sir."

Charles waited a few moments, then he asked, "Well, Mister Cogswell?"

"Well what, Sir?"

"Instruct the lookout."

"Oh, yes!" Then in an elevated voice, Cogswell called, "Lookout. Report any changes to the sails."

From above came a reply, "The three masts grow together, Sir. Appears they's coming in here."

"Thank you. Report every minute. Sooner if there are changes."

"Aye, Sir. Minute reports and all changes."

Charles turned to Mister Cogswell. "Do you now understand?"

"I do, Sir."

"Fine. Remember it. In other circumstances, these few minutes of delay might have led to grief. But fortunately, with the present wind and the distance, we have an hour and a half to prepare."

"To prepare, Sir?"

"To defend ourselves." He pointed aloft. "I shall be up the mast to assess."

I watched Charles put a telescope in his pocket, descend the steps to the ship's waist and stride forward to the mainmast shrouds, where he swung himself around onto the rattlings and scuttled up them. I wished I could follow him, but it would be impracticable in my skirts.

He descended a minute later, regained the quarterdeck and said, "It appears to have the same sail configuration as the ship which had followed us. Ring all hands, Mister Cogswell."

"Aye, Sir. All hands."

As Cogswell rushed toward the bell, I asked Charles, "Why would they venture into here?"

"Likely investigating all inlets, coves and other such protections, searching for prey. This had been our practice while hunting pirates and their havens."

"Oh, dear!" While the bell pealed long and loud, I looked southward from our anchorage, and when it had quieted, I said, "Our only escape is directly toward them."

"It is, but we shall not sail. Better to remain here and defend."

I raised a hand to my mouth. "How? What can we do?"

Charles pointed toward the forward rail. "You will understand when I instruct the crew."

I followed him to the rail, where we watched in silence as the crew rushed up through hatches and assembled below us in the ship's waist, between mainmast and mizzen. I knew better than to ask questions, now knowing from experience that Charles would be composing his thoughts.

Within a minute, when most had assembled, Charles called in a loud voice to gain attention above the hubbub, "Hoy, there! Hear here, now! The ship which had followed us from Port Royal has been sighted, and they appear to be heading into this haven."

He paused to allow the murmur to quiet; then he raised an arm and pointed. "An hour and a half until we are within their deadly gun-range."

A loud hubbub arose from below, so he shouted, "Or they are within ours."

The crew cheered, and a voice called, "So, we sail out to meet them?"

"No, we shall remain here and dare them to offer a broadside. Dare them to offer even a shot from their bow-chasers."

The crew fell silent, so he continued in a quieter voice, "Our first task is to enable the aiming of our guns. With the stern anchor ranged to starboard and the towing hawser secured to a well-stranded hulk to port, adjusting these will give us a finer aim than does the helm while sailing."

Cheers erupted again, and Charles quelled them with shouts, "Hoy! Hoy! Hoy!" When quiet returned, he said, "With our ports open and the guns hauled forward, what fool would dare offer fire? Do we even need to load and prime our guns? I think not! The gun barrels thrust through the open ports will give the illusion of our readied and well-aimed broadside, and this will offer far more than sufficient dissuasion."

"And if they do fire, Sir?"

"They are fools. Suicidal fools. As they approach, if we see activity around their bow chasers, we shall load. But not before. Also, if they begin to alter within range, offering them the possibility of firing a broadside, we shall load. But not before. Time and position and bravado are all well on our side in this encounter."

He waited for the murmur to subside, then he continued, "But this is all to be considered later, as the situation evolves. Our immediate action is to rig the stern lines. Mister Jenkins, see to laying the stern anchor."

"Aye, Sir. Lay the stern anchor."

"Mister Mathews, yours is to secure the hawser to a well-stranded hulk."

"Aye, Sir. Rig the tow hawser."

"Fine, then. Shall we get to it? There is no need to rush, but neither is there time to waste."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro