9. Of Learning and Change

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Olivia and I had finished altering and enhancing our shirts, and we sat by the windows, dressed as ladies as we conversed and watched the activities ashore and aboard the ship astern.

The more we talked, the more I realised she has deeper thoughts than her limited words can express. Few opportunities to share these, I surmised. Then I thought to her poor usage. A result of having little to read. From what she had told me, books would be too expensive for her family. "Would you care to read? I can fetch some books for us both."

"I don't know how ta, Ma'am. But Mistress Sims begun learning me afore I left, and I now know all the letters and numbers pretty good."

"A fine start, then." I thought back to the methods my first tutor had employed. "I can assist you from there, if you wish."

"Oh, would you? Mistress Sims told me how important it is. That and been able ta write the words down." Olivia pointed to her quarters. "I brung a slate, so as I can practice chalking the letters, and I do that every day."

"Excellent. Fetch it, and you can show me what you have learnt."

A long while later, while Olivia was practising the varying pronunciations of the consonants with vowels, Charles opened the door and strode across the cabin toward us. I stood to greet him, and he abruptly stopped. "Oh, my! How have you acquired this clothing? Were you ashore while I was away?"

I chuckled as I spun about. "No, we crafted them. What think you?" I spun about again to show how well the skirt flares and falls.

Charles nodded in silence, pursing his lips as he examined, then he said, "All the more reason to have four stout guards when you step ashore."

"Is it as dangerous as all that?"

"Fifteen ships lie to anchor and six sit alongside. Twenty-one ships' crews in port and looking for entertainment." He shrugged. "There are far too few strumpets here to service their cravings."

"Strumpets? What are these?"

"Harlots, whores, prostitutes."

"Oh!"

Charles laid a hand on my shoulder and bent to kiss my forehead, then he pointed to his desk. "I have much reorganising to do."

"Reorganising? Did your excursion not meet with success?"

"Oh, it well did. The trial of the pirates will convene this afternoon at four of St Paul's clock, and we will march them directly to the Court House. No need for the gaol. The auction is set for the morrow at ten of the clock." He pointed out through the windows. "Here beside us on the wharf. Mister Jenkins remains ashore to inform as many of the merchants, smiths and builders as he can."

"This seems better than you had hoped." I looked at him askance. "Then, what requires reorganising?"

"The auction lots. I was told of the capture and burning of Jamestown by an armed insurrection in September and of the spread of fighting far beyond the city during October and November. The last report is that it continues, making it unsafe for us to visit the colony. The cargo destined for there must be apportioned between here and New York."

"Oh! How might I assist?"

"Once I have redistributed the lots, you could help me make copies of those not yet done."

I nodded, then curious, I asked, "For what are the copies?"

"One for the Customs House, one to post in the Merchant Exchange, and one to show to those viewing the lots and to use after the sale, when successful bidders take possession."

"Yes, all necessary." Then I realised. "Oh, dear!"

"What is it?"

"Olivia and Titus. They were to disembark in Virginia. Now, what shall they do?"

"Indeed. I think it best they continue to New York with us. It is not at all safe for them to remain in Port Royal with no work and no place to live." Charles paused to examine Olivia, who now stood beside me. "Particularly with one being such an attractive maiden."

"Could they find passage from New York to Virginia after the situation calms there?"

"Most certainly. It is but a three-day voyage, and there had been a brisk trade up and down the coast, likely to resume when the fighting ends."

I turned to Olivia. "What had Titus arranged in Virginia?"

She shook her head. "Nothing, Ma'am. But he says there's a big need for workers there on the toe..." She paused, wrinkling her face as if to think. "On the toe bacto plantings, tending crops like we did afore ta home."

"Tobacco plantations. Not good work." Charles grimaced as he shook his head. "That is why they buy indentures and slaves, and you would likely be treated the same as those, even though free."

"So, what's there for us, then? We's got no skills. Is there work for such in New York?"

He nodded. "Indeed, yes. I have seen far better opportunities there than in the other colonies."

"But if you find nothing to your liking, Olivia, you could stay on as my lady's maid."

"Would you want that, Ma'am?"

"I would." I paused to examine my impulse. "Yes, I would welcome that."

A smile instantly lit Olivia's face. "Oh, this great pleases me, Ma'am. And what 'bout Titus?"

"We have need for staff in the house." I looked at Charles and shrugged. "I would think his skills in the cookery can be put to good use."

Charles nodded, then pointing toward his desk, he said, "Well solved, Camille. But I must get on with reordering the auction lots."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro