Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

----------------------- Page 1-----------------------

ç"±ç½'å‹gtplayer æ供,Imong, 指å'大海, twala 修订, 转载请注明æ¥è‡ªå¯„æ‰˜è®ºå›  

2004 å¹'10 月TOEFL å¬åŠ›æ-‡å­-  

Part A  

1,M:I spent my summer vacation at north in Montana, the views of the mountain there was so  

beautiful. I think it would be great to live there all year around  

W: You’ve got to be kidding, I’m from there and believe me. In the winter time, it’s so cold out  

that you could care less about the scenery.  

Q: What does the woman mean?  

2, W: Are you going to the dance tonight?  

M: I’d like to, but I’ve already made plans.  

Q: What does the man mean?  

3, W: I heard the basketball game is going to be on TV tonight. Do you have any idea what  

channel it could be on?  

M: Um, it might be on seven, but I’m not sure, the TV section of the newspaper is over there on  

the table  

Q: What does the man imply?  

4,M: So, have you finished reviewing all the material for our psychology exam?  

W: Just about, but I still have brush up on a few facts I’m not sure of.  

5,W: My parents are coming to see me this weekend, it’s their first time here and they’re really  

excited to finally see the town.  

M: Well you know, some of the restaurants here are really pretty good, especially the ones down  

by the harbor.  

Q: What does the man suggest the woman do?  

6,M: You know that promotion I thought I was going to get at the bookstore? Well I didn’t, so I’m  

going to see my boss tomorrow and tell her I’ve had it.  

W: Oh, I understand that you are upset, but, you know there just aren’t a lot of part-time jobs out  

there right now. Try to keep that in mind before doing anything drastic, OK?  

Q: What does the woman imply the man should do?  

7, M: Didn’t you finish the experiment yet? It was due on Friday  

W: I am having so many problems. The professor has given me an extension.  

8, M: Does my stomach hurt? I haven’t felt very well all day.  

W: Mine’s been feeling a little funny too. It began after we ate that seafood last night.  

9, W: I can’t believe that you missed the class again. Didn’t professor Odell say something to you  

寄托天下 飞跃梦想 http://bbs.gter.net/bbs/

----------------------- Page 2-----------------------

about it last time?  

M: Well, this time is different, I had a good excuse. My car ran out of gas.  

10,M: Are you going to the conference in Chicago? I’ve already booked my hotel room.  

W: Why pay for hotel? My brother’s got plenty of room in his place.  

Q: What does the woman imply the man should do?  

11,W: Hey, do you have Amy’s new phone number?  

M: She couldn’t remember when I saw her earlier today, so she said she’d call me this afternoon  

and give it to me then.  

12, M: Do you know if you'll have any more blue shirts with the school’s logo available before the  

big football game on Saturday?  

W: If you come back tomorrow, right after the store opens, you should have better luck then.  

Q: What does the woman imply?  

13,W: I invited Bob for Friday, and he said he’d come if he isn’t working  

W: If Bob comes, it’s sure to be a good party.  

Q: What can be inferred about Bob?  

14,W: Why are you so late? I told you the movie started at seven, didn’t I?  

M: Sorry, I got to talking with some people after class and before I know it, well, you can see what  

happened.  

15,W: Nancy just got that special tennis racket she ordered through the mail  

M: Finally, that was a long time she had to wait, I bet she’d go out and use it right away.  

16, W: You must be really happy getting such a good grade in such a difficult course.  

M: You bet I am, and what’s even more surprising is how much I enjoy the class.  

17,M: Sorry, I’m late, I had to stop at home after class to put on the suit and tie. You know, cause  

it’s a awards ceremony?  

W: You probably should not have bothered, I mean look around you, half of the guys here are in  

jeans and sweaters.  

18,W:This campus offers a wide range of extra-curricular activities, whether your interests are  

athletics ,clubs, or committee-centered organizations.  

M: Thanks, I’m sure I’ll get involved in it eventually. But since it is my first year that I’m taking  

----------------------- Page 3-----------------------

extra courses, I’m really pushing it as it is  

19,M: If I can borrow your Spanish notes this weekend, I’d be in a lot better shape for the quiz on  

Monday  

W: I’m afraid that’s out of the question, don’t forget I have the same quiz.  

Q: What will the woman probably do?  

20,W: It looks like you’ve just bruised the bone in your foot. Try to stay off a couple of days until  

the swelling goes down.  

M: Hoo! I was afraid it was broken, thanks a lot Dr. Martin?  

Q: What can be inferred about the man?  

21,W: Wow! We’ve been working on this project for over five hours, do you think we should keep  

going?  

M: Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to call it a day.  

22,M: I don’t know what to do about my job, every evening the boss asks us to work later and  

later, I don’t mind the extra pay, but I’m just about to stretch to my limit.  

W: Hum, well, maybe you should say something, he might not realize you’re also a fulltime  

student.  

Q: What does the woman suggest the man do?  

23.W: Betsy really lost her temper in that meeting. She’s gonna have to learn to be a lot more  

diplomatic than that.  

M: You are right, but you have to give a credit for taking a stand.  

24, W: Wow! This paper looks like it was typed on a typewriter. How did you get your computer  

and printer in making a look like this?  

M: I didn’t, sometimes I think I am the last person on campus who doesn’t use a computer.  

25,M: I am having such a hard time with the history assignment. It’s taking forever. How about  

you?  

W: I’m struggling too, what if we put our heads together?  

Q: What does the woman suggest she and the man do?  

26,W: Can you believe the bus driver just yelled at me like that?  

M: And just what did you think what would happen when you spill the coffee all over the floor?  

27,W: I’m really impressed by how well Mary is doing at school  

----------------------- Page 4-----------------------

M: She said that she owes a lot to the support of her parents.  

28, M: Hello, I was wondering if graduate students are allowed to use the copy machine in the  

faculty resource room?  

W: I’m not sure, But if you leave me your name and number, I’ll find out and get back to you.  

Q: What will the woman probably do?  

29, M: Do you think John would lend me 15 dollars until tomorrow?  

W: Are you kidding? He’s always broke, besides, he still owes me ten from last week.  

Q: What can be inferred about John?  

30, M: We still haven’t decided on the time for lunch tomorrow.  

W: Oh, I forgot to tell you. I won’t be able to make it after all.  

Part B:  

31-35. Listen to a conversation between two teachers outside the chemistry building.  

M: I don’t know, Susan, I don’t feel like I am reaching my freshman class this semester.  

W: Why do you say that?  

M: It’s just they think of grades over was non-comprehension, even when I’m talking about the  

basics, they not especially motivated either, I know the class is a first year science requirement for  

most of them. But I’ve got to do something.  

W: Jane, you know Jane White, she teaches physics, she just told me about how she livens up her  

classes.  

M: What did she do?  

W: Well, basically, she takes something they are interested in, like music, and tries to relate  

principal of science to that. Otherwise, the concepts seem to go right over their heads.  

M: Do you mean, for example, she’d use rock and roll to demonstrate the principles of acoustics  

in physics?  

W: Exactly, in fact, she said she had used music, and she’d used movies, especially, science fiction  

in her classes too.  

M: Sounds like her methods worth a try. But I need a few more details. Maybe I’ll go and see her  

tomorrow. Thanks  

31, What is the man’s complaint?  

32, What kind of class does the man probably teach?  

33, What does the man imply is the reason for his problem?  

34, What does Jean White do to improve her classes?  

35, What is the man’s response to Jean White’s teaching method?  

36-38, listen to a conversation between two students at the beach.  

M: Ouch, how can the sand be so hot when the water’s still cold? My feet feel like getting blisters.  

W: Now, Mark, were you sleeping when professor Book gave that lecture on specific heat in  

physics class?  

----------------------- Page 5-----------------------

M: I didn’t come to San Diego on spring break to talk about professor Book’s physics class.  

W: I know, me neither, I was just answering your question, that’s all.  

M: What question?  

W: You weren’t even paying attention to your own question  

M: I was just complaining about the hot sand. Considering what the water’s like, I wonder how  

the sand can be so hot?  

W: Well, professor Book’s lecture on specific heat might give you a clue. Water has a higher  

specific heat than sand.  

M: Then why is the sand so much hotter if water has a higher specific heat?  

W: Don’t you remember? Specific heat is the energy need to raise the temperature of something. If  

something has a high specific heat, like water, it takes more energy to raise its temperature.  

M: I see. So you are saying that something with a high specific heat, like water, doesn’t get hot as  

fast as something with a low specific heat, like sand, right?  

W: Right. So sand gets hot faster during the day, that’s why it’s so hot while the water’s still cool.  

M: I guess you are right, I should pay more attention in class.  

36, What is the woman trying to explain to the man?  

37, What is the man complaining about?  

38, What does the woman say about the water?  

Part C  

39-42, Listen to part of the presentation about elm tree  

Good evening, I am Steve Johnson and I represent the American Elm Society. Today I’d like to  

introduce you to some of the problems faced by elm trees. Many of you are familiar with this huge  

tree. It’s found in many areas of US and Canada in cities and small towns. Well, as you may know,  

the American elm has been threatened by a dangerous disease. The disease is caused by a fungus,  

when that fungus infects the tree, it blocks the circulation of water inside the tree. As a result, the  

tree cells don’t receive water and without water, of course they can’t survive. The tree’s leaves  

become dry, fall off, and eventually the tree dies. You may be interested in how the disease is  

transmitted, well, a very small insect called elm bug beetle brings the fungus with it. The beetle  

uses the tree to reproduce itself. The female builds channels in the wood for the eggs, at the same  

time, it infects the tree with fungus. The worst thing is that the process seems unstoppable,  

because once the beetle leaves the infected tree it carries the fungus on its body and poisons a  

healthy tree. Of course, we are trying to fight the disease, in the past, infected trees were simply  

cut down. That method reduces the number of the infected trees but it never stop the disease. Now  

experts are trying to get to the root of the problem, they are working on ways to control the beetle  

that spreads the disease.  

39, What is the talk mainly about?  

40, What is causing the death of the infected elm trees?  

41, According to the speaker, what causes the healthy elm tree to become weak?  

42, According to the speaker, how do experts hope to limit the spread of the disease in the future?  

43-46, Listen to a part of the guide tour in the museum.  

th th  

So, now we are in the room with naïve art, produced in the United States during 18 and 19  

centuries. At that time, people of many nations had come together to form a single nation. The  

----------------------- Page 6-----------------------

future of these people was unknown and they didn’t share a history together. The absence of  

tradition created a need for inventing a new one. These were some of the factors allowed naïve art  

to grow as an art form in the United States. Because everything was new and without past, there  

was no such thing as art education. That’s how these artists got to be called naïve artists. Most of  

you probably already know the French word naïve meaning not have much world knowledge. So,  

unlike professional artists, naïve artists didn’t have formal training in different academics and  

studios. Instead, since they were eliminated by tradition, they made their own rules, were  

generally self-taught and their paintings had a true feeling for color form and world around them.  

There’s very little "known" about early naïve artists in the United States because many of them did  

not sign their works. However, we do know that they followed similar themes. Many naïve artists  

started out as portrait painters. They travel from town to town and made portraits for different  

families especially in the days before photography. People generally wanted portraits as evidence  

of their existence for future generations. Compared to French naïve paintings that are less realistic,  

naïve artists in United States painted images that were neat, positive, extremely accurate and  

almost photographic. Now, in the next room, let’s take a look at naïve artists’ work in France.  

43, What does the speaker mainly discuss?  

44, How did naïve artists differ from professional artists?  

45, How did the speaker describe the paintings of the American naïve artists?  

46, According to the speaker, what factor makes learning about early naïve artists difficult?  

47-50, listen to a lecture in an American history class.  

The focus of today’s class is on an important element in the development of United States cities,  

something the modern cities need to survive: efficient transportation. The rapid growth of cities in  

th  

19 century created a serious problem. Growth obviously made greater distances between people’s  

th  

home and their work places. People could no longer rely on walking. By the mid 19 century,  

some United States cities had used railways drawn by horses, but they were very slow. The city  

planners understood that without improved transportation cities could not grow any larger and  

they worked on invention of system in trolley cars on cables, powered by steam engines. These  

cables were able to pull cars up the steep hills of San Francisco and so other large cities installed  

similar systems in 1880s. But although faster than horses, these cable cars still weren’t fast enough  

to solve the transportation problems of United States cities. Our real breakthrough came thanks to  

electricity. Electric trolleys move twice as fast as the old horse drawn railways and they were quite  

and clean. They designers of electric trolleys came up with the new control system that allowed  

each part to be powered independently and have its own breaks, what’s safer and more efficient  

than cable cars. Electricity also helped the next great advance in urban transportation, the subway.  

It solved one problem that the early English subways suffered from, unbearable smoke of steam  

engines that made breathing in the subway tunnels almost impossible.  

47, What is the talk mainly about?  

48, According to the professor, what problem did many people face as cities grew larger?  

49, Other than theirs speed, in what way were electric trolley cars better than cable cars?  

50, According to the professor, what major advantage for the subway did electricity offer?  

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro