Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

----------------------- Page 1-----------------------

http://luyenthianhvan.blogspot.com/  

M: I’m concerned about this big storm that ’s coming. Do you thing we should cancel  

tomorrow’s trip?  

W: It’s your call. We all voted for you to being in charge, remember? We trust your  

judgment.  

M: We are going to get together to sometime this week to play tennis. How about after  

math class this afternoon? It ’s such a nice day.  

W: Oh I promised Jane that I go swimming with her.  

W: I am so tired I can’t wait to go home. I’ve been here in lab all day working on this  

experiment for chemistry class  

M: I know what your mean. So am I.  

M: Excuse me, does this library have anything on the international arts festival coming  

this summer or should I go to the art library for that?  

W: If you give a minute, I think we have a few sources for that kind of information.  

M: This is a very interesting book you have there, Marsha. Do you think you could  

lend it to me sometime this week?  

W: I’d like to, but someone else already asked me about it, but if you remind me in a  

few weeks…  

M: You didn’t think the concert when turn out this great, did you?  

W: I sure didn’t. I heard this band once before and didn ’t think they were all that hot.  

M: I’m so tired. I spent all last night thinking about the graduation speech I have to  

give in a couple of days  

W: Come on, you will a fine. Just don’t stress yourself out, and, um, try to get some  

rest.  

http ://luyenthianhvan.blogspot.com/

----------------------- Page 2-----------------------

M: I hear that the new apartment you and Sally got is really nice. When are you two  

going to invite me over?  

W: As seems that we finish the panting the place, though we still haven’t decided on  

the color.  

M: Hey Jean, can you take a look at this copy machine? I can’t turn it on.  

W: I am actually in the middle of something. How about in a couple of minutes?  

W: Well I thought of Robert for the class committee. He is a very responsible person..  

M: Right, but it would be good if you can suggest some other names, too.  

W: Hi, I hope you con help me. I need the 2nd edition of the United States government  

st  

for my class on Monday afternoon. But I only see the 1 edition on the shelf. And I ’ve  

already checked the other bookstores around here  

M: Yes, Someone else asked about this book earlier. I’ve called the warehouse and they  

are shipping copies to us. We should have them Monday morning.  

M: What do you want to do tonight? You up for the movies?  

W: Don’t you ever feel like going anywhere new?  

M: Did you have heard Carl being nominated for mayor?  

W: Yes, it really floored me.  

M: This old typewriter has been sitting on the spare desk all semester. It’s just  

gathering dust from what I can see.  

W: Someone should ask the department to get rid of it. We could use this space.  

W: I hope you’re not doing any thing tonight. I ’m planning a surprise birthday party  

for my roommate.  

M: Sounds good to me. I have to work this afternoon, but I’m free after that.  

W: Jack, was today’s German class cancelled? I came five minutes late and there was  

nobody in the classroom.  

M: Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot we support to let you know that we were meeting in the  

language lab today.  

----------------------- Page 3-----------------------

W: Isn’t it a bit late for coffee, John?  

M: My psychology report has to be finished by morning, so I need to putting in all  

nighter  

W: I would like some fresh produce. I just don’t like the quality of what they are selling  

in the local grocery store.  

M: Well I know a farm that grows and sells fruits and vegetables. It’s not too far from  

campus and it’s definitely better than the store.  

W: I’ve been wanting to visit Pam at the infirmary, but I don’t get off work until after  

visiting hours.  

M: Don’t they have hours on weekends?  

M: Um, the chemistry class you want to take has a required lab section.  

W: Oh, I’m sure glad you pointed that out.  

W: Are you ready to head over to the library? Oh, do you have your student ID card  

with you this time?  

M: It’s right here…ah, I must have left it in my room. I’ll be right back.  

W: I know you have a lot to do, but you were supposed make those phone calls last  

night. You know about tomorrow ’s theater club meeting?  

M: Yeah, I guess I am dragging my heels on this.  

W: So what did you think of the lecture? Isn’t that professor something?  

M: She was pretty impressive. Too bad about the weather though; otherwise I’m sure  

there would ’ve been a lot more people.  

M: What do you think? Should I wear my green sweater or my XX one?  

W: Well the green one is heavier. It’s pretty chilly outside you know.  

M: Hi, I’d like to see the manager of the store; I ’m interesting applying for a job.  

W: She ’s going to be tied up in meetings all day today and tomorrow.  

----------------------- Page 4-----------------------

M: Excuse me, I can’t seem to find the book I need. Can you look it up for me on your  

computer?  

W: I wish I could, but it’s not working.  

M: Another one of the letters I mailed last week has been returned!  

W: Didn’t you realize the airmail rates went up a month ago?  

M: Mary looks surprised.  

W: Didn’t you hear? She won full scholarship for next year.  

W: So I hear you’re really happy with your new car. I bet it ’s a lot better than the last  

one you got stuck with, the one you bought from Cathy?  

M: You can say that again. I’m sure I’m made a good choice this time.  

W: What a day! We haven’t had weather like this for ages.  

M: I know. What you say we put off studying for a little while and take the advantage  

of it?  

Q31-34  

W: Hey Joe, that was a really great presentation you just gave.  

M: You think so? I was really worried about it. My hands were shaking and every  

thing.  

W: To me, you sounded really natural and well prepared.  

M: Oh, I’m relieved to hear you say that. It took me over a month to put that  

presentation together..  

W: It sounded like it. Hey, before you forget, are you free tonight?  

M: Yeah, I guess so. Why?  

W: My mother and my little brother are in town and my mom bought these theater  

tickets months ago and …  

M: What show?  

W: It’s called…a Metamorphosis by Avid. It’s play written back the ancient Rome, It ’s  

supposed to be really great.  

M: Don’t say another word, I’d love to go..  

W: Oh, uh, I don’t know how to tell you this but I’m actually going with my mother.  

And I was wondering if you could be babysit my little brother while my mom and I go  

to the play.  

M: Ah. How embarrassing. Ah, sure, no problem. What time should I show up?  

W: At seven o’clock at my place. He won’t be any trouble. You can just watch a video  

----------------------- Page 5-----------------------

with him or something.  

M: Yeah, that sounds okay. I‘ll see you tonight then.  

W: Uh, Joe, I’m really sorry about the misunderstanding. I know you thought I was  

waiting you and…well I apologize if I mislead you.  

M: Actually I think it’s kind of funny. Don’t worry. We’ll laugh about it later.  

W: Oh, thanks a million. See you at seven  

Q35-38  

M: Hello.  

W: Hi Tom, it’s Diane from creative writing class.  

M: Oh, hi Diane. What’s up?  

W: Well, I have a new project I thought you might be interested in. I’m starting up a  

writers ’ group. You know, a support group for people who are trying to get published.  

M: Hmm, How would it work?  

W: We get together once a week. I ’ve already arranged for a meeting room at the  

library, and then we’d share what we were working on and offer each other the advice.  

M: I could use some advice. I ’m working on a short story that I’d like to get published  

in the Campus Literary Review. You ’ve done that haven’t you? Didn ’t I see a poem of  

yours in last month ’s issue?  

W: Yes, I was so excited to finally see my work in print. It was my third submission.  

You just have to keep trying if they turn you down.  

M: Well I’m sure the group could help me, but I don’t know how much I can contribute.  

I’m really just starting out. I do a lot of work, but I’m definitely still a novice.  

W: That’s okay. I know from your comments in class, and you will be an asset. We are  

going to get some more experience to help, too. Professor Mitchell’s agreed to sit in on  

a few sessions, and she’s also going to make up a list of local professionals who might  

be willing to spend some time with us.  

M: Sounds great! You can definitely count me in.  

Q39-42  

Nowadays we are constantly surrounded by news and information. But I want to take  

you back you a time when newspapers first started to be printed in the United  

States…well, back then they were still British colonies. Anyway, let’s discuss for a  

moment the role newspapers played in colonial times …uh …around the early 1700’s.  

Before that time, there were of course many printed materials…books certainly but  

also pamphlets, government and legal documents, things of this sort. The first colonial  

newspaper to appear was not what we would expect today. It was only one small sheet  

printed on two sides. It was also different from the United States’ newspapers today in  

that all news had to be officially approved by the governor before printing. An early  

printer name James Franklin, took a courageous step by starting an independent  

newspaper. Franklin, who owned his own printing press, wanted to be free from  

outside control. Above all, he wanted a paper that entertained the people with humors  

and critical news items. Franklin’s newspaper was especially significant because  

literacy was increasing at the time. Even those who weren’t able to read were exposed  

----------------------- Page 6-----------------------

to the information in the newspapers by hearing it. Newspapers were read loud  

everywhere: in homes, workshops and taverns. By the mid 1700’s, there were more  

than a dozen colonial newspapers. What James Franklin began was a tradition of an  

independent press where ideas and information spread quickly, and humor and  

different opinions were tolerated.  

Q43-46  

Let’s move the discussion away from Jupiter itself and look at its moons. Now there is  

one particular that’s been in the news recently, and that ’s Ganymede. We’d known for a  

long time that Ganymede is the largest moon in the solar system, but in 1996, the  

Galileo space probe sent back some information showing us that Ganymede in many  

ways behaves like a full-fledged planet. Now Ganymede is larger than Mercury and  

about half the size of the earth. It’s covered with ice and some dark, rocky debris. What  

Galileo has shown us though is that Ganymede ’s surface is deeply wrinkled with ridges  

and fissures, a sign that it experiences some of the same dynamic forces that move  

continents and cause quakes on earth. But Galileo detected an even bigger surprise for  

scientists. Ganymede appears to generate its own magnetic field. That ’s a planet like  

quality that set it apart from all other moons. Now what causes is this magnetic field is  

a matter of debate for the scientists. But all are a couple of possibilities. It could mean  

that despite its cold exterior, Ganymede has a core of a molten metal inside it  

generating the magnetic field. That ’s what causes the earth ’s magnetic field. Or it could  

mean that there is a thin layer of salty water conducting electricity just beneath  

Ganymede’s surface. Something else Galileo was able to detect as it flew by  

Ganymede was sudden increase in the density of electrically charge particles. Now  

what this indicates is the presence of an ionosphere, which in turn has let scientists to  

believe that Ganymede has some sort of atmosphere, however thin it may be.  

Q47-50  

Let’s talk about an environmental issue that has to do with how common household  

products have changed. More and more products contain bacteria killing chemicals  

these days. These antibacterial chemicals aren’t just in product like soap. They ’re in all  

sorts of household cleaners and in toothpaste, and if you think about it for second you  

will realize that most of those chemicals just end up going down the drain. But you are  

probably thinking that all that stuff goes through a treatment plant that removes  

chemicals, right? After all, that’s what happens to stuff that goes down the drain. Well,  

wastewater is treated, but that doesn ’t usually remove all the chemicals in it. The  

chemicals left in the treated water get into the aquatic environment; that is into the  

rivers and streams where plants or fish and other animals live. Now to find out the  

effects of antibacterial chemicals in freshwater ecosystems, a study was done with  

algae, which are tiny plantlike organisms. Different species of algae was taken to a lab  

and exposed to just few antibacterial chemicals found in the streams. And guess what?  

In the experiment, the overall growth of algae and the number of species dropped. This  

is not good and here is why. Algae are the base of the aquatic of food chain, which  

----------------------- Page 7-----------------------

means the other organisms depend on them for food. So if the chemicals kill algae at  

the bottom of the food chain, the whole system is being disrupted.  

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro