11/10/22

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I guess someone won a $2 billion lottery the other day.  Jeez, that's a lot of money.  On the one hand I would love to win the lottery, especially one like that.  On the other hand, I feel like you're always hearing stories about lottery winners going broke and how it basically ruined their lives.  That doesn't seem possible, yet there seems to be enough evidence that it happens that there's probably truth to it.  It's clearly a major life-altering event and a lot of people probably don't know how to manage money on that level, although it seems hard to believe you could just blow through a couple billion dollars.  The other thing I hear is people crawl out of the woodwork to try to get stuff out of you and you kind of lose all your friends because they can't help but treat you differently.

That last part I believe.  I hung out at an alleged billionaire's house one time.  I say alleged because I don't know if the guy actually was or not.  My roommate at the time told me he was a billionaire.  Said roommate was  supposedly friends with him from before he got rich so that's how I even ended up hanging out there in the first place.  Whether or not the guy was a billionaire, he clearly did have some money because he owned a big piece of property and had a fancy house.  If he were truly a billionaire I'm still not sure what he was doing hanging out on a  Friday night with the likes of us, other than, yeah, I guess he knew my roommate from the past.  I didn't get the impression they were super close friends or anything though.  More like acquaintances.  Mr. Billionaire wasn't the most outgoing personality I've ever met from what I recall.

At any rate I was operating under the understanding that this dude was a billionaire and I will say it made it kind of strange to be around him.  You can't help but think this guy could help me do anything I want if I get into his good graces, but then you start thinking oh jeez I can't come across like I just want to get something out of him.  So then you just try to act normal, but if you consciously "try" to act normal it's almost impossible to do.  As a result I felt like I was being kind of stiff and awkward myself, and as I said the guy wasn't like super affable and easy to talk to in the first place.  It made for what I would consider not the funnest night.  

I imagine it's kind of like this for rich people and celebrities all the time.  It's probably difficult for them to feel like people are genuine friends and that most people who act friendly towards them are just doing so to get something.  It probably makes them want to just associate with other rich and famous people.  I do see how it would be tough.

Still, I don't feel too sorry for them.  It must be extra awful drying your tears every night with wads of cash.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro