9/23/22

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

We're getting near to the end of the month and I haven't done my now monthly tradition of learning where the names of the months came from.  So September... I think I kind of know this one and I believe it sort of applies to all the remaining months.  "Sept" is a prefix that means seven, just as "Oct" is a prefix that means eight, "Nov" means nine and "Dec" means ten.  Originally September was the seventh month of the year, October was eighth and so on until good old Julius Caesar updated the calendar and July and August got added and September got shoved back by two months.  At least that's how I've always understood it.  I'm going to go look up the reason now and see how close I am and if there are any other interesting tidbits I don't know about.  Be right back...

Okay, so I'm pretty much right on the money from what I can see.  September comes from the Latin word septimus, which literally means seventh.  The only interesting tidbit I came across was that later Roman Emperors tried to rename September and the months that followed after themselves ala July and August, but for some reason it just didn't stick.  Kind of a cool factoid, I guess.  

I have a feeling the remaining months of the year are more or less going to have the same story as September, but I'll probably continue to look it up each month just for consistency's sake. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro