6 Days Till Christmas

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Despite Ronin's threats, I'm excited for my first day running the shop. So what if I'm not supposed to take "big jobs"? The definition of a big job is up to interpretation, and anyway, it's not like we have that many nice cars coming in day-to-day. Like Ronin loves to complain about, most of the cars we're expected to fix are pretty much hunks of junk.

Halfway through the morning, to my surprise, a young man–more of a boy, honestly–enters the office. He's dressed much more formally than our average customer, and he looks familiar somehow, but if I've seen him before, I can't place the memory.

"Good morning." he says.

"Hi." I say, knowing I sound awkward. "Um . . . do you need something?"

"Well, um . . . I need you to fix my car. I mean, well, it's my dad's car, but . . . that's what you do, right? You fix cars?"

"Yes!" I say. "I mean, obviously. What exactly needs fixing?"

"Well . . ." He looks around sheepishly, avoiding my eyes. "I . . . kinda sorta messed up the engine. But like I said, it's my dad's car. It's not his favorite one, but it did kinda cost a lot. It's electric, and it was made by Borg Industries just for my father."

"Why did you mess with the engine, then?"

"Well, like I said, it's really unique. And I love cars, inventing, and tinkering with stuff. I've taken apart my car lots of times. But, well, I was just looking at the engine, making a few adjustments to see if I could optimize the power usage, and then . . . I think something exploded. Or multiple things."

"Goodness!" I shake my head in disbelief. "Why'd you do that? Mr. Borg made it the way it is for a reason, you know."

He looked very embarrassed. "I know it's stupid, but please tell me you can fix it. I sort of had to steal my dad's tow truck to bring it here, and I should be taking that back soon."

I stare at him. "What exactly does your dad do, that he has all those vehicles?"

The boy blushes. "Well, he's, um, an actor. The tow truck was from a film set. His name is Cliff Gordon–maybe you've heard of him?"

"Of course!" I say. Going by his expression, he's not pleased with my answer. But how can I not have heard of Cliff Gordon? I don't usually follow all that celebrity stuff, but he's a pretty famous actor, and my little cousin loves his movies.

"Well . . . yeah. I'm his son. Jay Gordon, at your service." He gives a mock bow. "And before you ask me why I didn't just buy my own cool car, or ask Mr. Borg to fix this one, I'm not exactly rich. I mean, my dad is, but I'm not allowed to have a real job, so . . ."

I sigh. I'm pretty sure this is exactly the kind of big job Ronin would murder me for taking, but I feel kind of bad for Jay, and besides, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

"When do you need it fixed by?" I ask cautiously.

"I kind of need it by Christmas Eve, if you can." He says. "My dad's on a business trip right now, but he'll be back late that night."

"Okay." I take a deep breath. "I'll do my best. I can't promise it'll work, but it'll be better than nothing."

"Definitely better than nothing." Jay agrees, holding his hand out to me. "Thanks, um . . ."

"Nya." I shake his hand, and smile. This could be my chance–if only I don't mess the whole thing up.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro