38. Laugh Together

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Deductive reasoning. Ever since she began reading mystery novels, it was elementary, my dear friend, so to speak, to turn deductive reasoning into a vehicle for learning.

That big plastic tub perched on top of the library's door, for example. Because tubs did not generally wind up in high places on their own, she could deduct that someone had placed it here intentionally. It had a large, rusty fishing weight attached so it'd go down the right way, leading her to conclude that it was supposed to fall.

"You don't seem all that focused on knitting."

"I have no clue what you mean, Dough."

It wasn't even a deduction, because Marsh was staring at the tub while her hands moved robotically with the needles.

It was also through deductive reasoning that she could figure out that it was Bow's doing. Apple had never really been the prankster type (way too unsubtle), and Dough tended to hang with himself. Plus, the weight seemed like a clever touch that only Bow would come up with.

The question was of what was in there.

Dough followed her eyes to the tub, and explained, "Yeah, it's part of some prank. I'm not in on it."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Marsh fibbed, grabbing a golden paperweight from the table beside her.

"You seriously don't see that? All you have to do is look."

"I'm busy knitting..."

"Ugh, are you serious? You're not even holding a needle anymore."

She tossed the weight a few times experimentally to get a feel for how heavy it was. It was like a grapefruit weight-wise, but with the proportions of a perfectly-rounded orange. It was easy to hold and easier to throw.

She watched as a single glob of brown flew out of the tub when the weight flew in. She dove for it before it could get all over the century-old carpets, and sniffed.

Chocolate.

Not water.

"You just looked right at it! You are listening to me!" Dough exclaimed in surprise. Marsh ignored him as she tasted a tiny bit of the stuff.

Dark chocolate. Not milk chocolate.

'But that makes no sense,' she thought with a frown. 'We didn't have spare chocolate chips from the cookies, but even if we did, they were milk chocolate. That means... a special trip to Walmart.'

"Do you believe me yet?"

Marsh wished he'd stop talking so she could think, but did nod at him,

'Apple and Bow hate each other. If Bow suggested doing it, Apple would shoot her down, not make a special trip, I'd imagine... But Bow wouldn't possess Apple. She's learned her lesson.'

"Uh, Marshmallow. They're in the next room waiting."

'They're in the next room. Not she is in the next room. Oh my marsh. They really did work together.'

It took no detective to know that there was just one way to end this day.

Marsh grabbed the roll of paper towels that were luckily in there already, and scattered them all around the door, where she assumed that the chocolate would go.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Dough," Marsh lied, "They'd never do that." Playing dumb made her feel dumb. Still, she couldn't help a smirk as she stretched, yawned nonchalantly, and said loudly:

"Welp, would you look at the time. It's time for me to find Apple and give her a special vocabulary lesson. It'd be a shame if something interrupted it!"

She heard an exclamation of "A special lesson?! Oh no, oh no, she's gonna be so mad-" from the next room, and then a loud "shhh!"

It made her giggle. Maybe playing dumb had its merits. She punched the door as hard as she could and took the consequence of her decision as it came.

'No regrets.'

She was covered in seconds. She rubbed the stuff out of her eyes.

The prank went off without a hitch.

Dough looked at her with irritation. "You're doing this on purpose. I tried to warn you."

She exclaimed in surprise, because it was a weird feeling, having globs of chocolate pouring off of her.

Instantly she heard the sound of uproarious laughter, and a door opening. Apple stared at her as if unsure whether to laugh or cry. Now had long since chosen to do both; she was cackling so hard that tears were in her eyes.

"W-wow, Marsh! Lookin' sweet!"

Chocolate sauce, to be exact.

Marsh laughed aloud. "Chocolate sauce?! You... You covered me with chocolate sauce!"

Bow's arm was slung around Apple's shoulder. Apple seemed to be trying her hardest not to laugh.

"Wow. Looks like you got me!" Marsh giggled. "I must resemble a ridiculous s'more now..."

"You are a giant ridiculous s'more," Bow pointed out, then promptly began cackling again.

Apple was shaking with unreleased laughter, but looked guilty when Marsh looked at her. Marsh sighed and hugged her close, smothering Apple's front in chocolate.

"It's okay to laugh, you know," Marsh murmured, amusement in her tone. "Even I think you guys did great with the prank."

"Really?" Apple grinned. "Gosh..."

She doubted Apple caught the emphasis on you guys.

Bow patted Apple's stem reassuringly. "I didn't think you had it in you, so good on you," she said. "Just a matter of time before we're pranking her like pros, right?"

'Oh my gosh. Bow is encouraging her.'

Marsh had to admit, elation bubbled in her chest at the sight. A tear formed in her eye.

"If Marshmallow's okay with it. It was kinda fun..."

"I'm okay with it!"

'Understatement of the century. My two greatest friends in this whole dead world, and they're getting along. I could never ask for better... They could cover me in chocolate every day and I'd love to see them getting along!'

Apple smiled and let her arms slip around Marsh. "Seriously?"

Marsh laughed. "...If I'm honest, I'm thrilled that you two are getting along well enough to coordinate all this. It's a sweet surprise, if you ask me."

Apple and Bow exchanged a glance, Bow's hand still on Apple's stem. Then Bow grinned and said, "Yeah. Apple, you're not so bad."

"I could say the same about you," Apple admitted, then stopped and turned to her, letting go of Marsh.

"Look, Bow... I've always been a bit... what's the word... unfair to you. I still don't like what happened on the show, but, uh... Maybe it's time for us to, uh, officially bury the hatchet."

Bow didn't even hesitate. "It's about time! Let's shake on it!"

Marsh watched with a slack jaw as Apple reached her hand out to Bow's... and looked surprised when it phased right through it.

"Wow, Sis and Asparagus finally worked things out, huh?" Dough flew closer, beaming.

Visually, it was pretty ridiculous, considering the chocolate was still melting off of her. But still, Marsh's heart was warmed.

"You're the best family I could ask for," she blurted out. "I love you guys."

"What, are you getting sappy on us now, Marshy?" Bow asked, sounding amused. "We love you too. Now how about you two complete dorks get yourselves washed up? We can go break up this boring sweetness with those video games you bought. Hope you're ready to bow to my prowess on the controller -- or should I say, Bow to my prowess?" She laughed and floated off with Dough in tow. Marsh could distinctly hear her add "I'm a comedy legend" under her breath as she left.

Marsh handed Apple a wad of paper towels and took one for herself too.

"Now, was fixing things with Bow really that hard?"

"...Heh, I guess not..." Apple started at her stem. "Do you really think we're family?"

Marsh couldn't help but smile at the inquiry.

"Family is a... weird word to define. It can mean a lot of things, and there isn't always a mom and a dad. But we all live together, and I can't imagine going at it without you or the others, so why couldn't we be family? Now that you guys are over things especially."

"Ah. Okay."

And then Apple never questioned it again.

Maybe laughing and having fun was a better teacher than she would have assumed. It didn't take a master deductive thinker to figure that out.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro