1• First Things First

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Why do you want a review?

I might be wrong. I may just be right, but I have noticed a lot of writers tend to apply for a review just for the wrong reasons.

Why?

You go to a review shop, you submit a form, follow the rules, and then sit tight in utter anxiety waiting for the reviewer to tear apart your book like a wild dog or give you an appreciative round of applause for the good job you’ve done… or something in between.

Though, there is an incredibly large number of you who wait in expectation for absurdly empty praises; mostly because of the empty comments you’ve received for your work. I will explain the likely motive for those types of comments in another chapter.

Those of you who believe you will get a beautiful review full of empty praises most of the time . . . You are “bfdhsjfnskmjgj.” I just hope some of you are not like this.

For the most part, a review is a process of studying or examining your story in order to determine if it is satisfactory or otherwise, and in most cases, these reviews are sometimes personal opinions; from knowledge pertaining to writing, that is. There is also something called subjectivity.

What a reviewer enjoys might clash with what they don’t.

In case you don’t know, authors are not the only one in a cold sweat while a reviewer goes through your work. Reviewers too have their own fears when reviewing; at least for the small number that care about your feelings. Many times, the reviewer has to look for a proper soft way to let you know that your book was bad. Yes, bad.

Be prepared because what this book contains will be mostly about negative reviews and their reviewers.

While some are really happy to review a wonderful piece of work, they will gladly tell you how much they enjoyed it, along with some pointers where you need help. If that reviewer is sensible and didn’t just read the book for fun; something you didn’t apply for.

I agree there are many people who don’t have thick skin and have really low self-esteem and a reviewer sometimes has to take this into consideration. You requested for a review to find out what is wrong with your work or to find out where you need improvement. While others request a review to see how they have improved in their writing.

Now, for those who receive negative (not insulting) reviews, your book has most probably frustrated your reviewer that they couldn’t take it anymore. Yes, there are some stories like that! Although, there are times writers need uplifting, but it’s pure ignorance to always expect that when you start out writing. Especially from reviewers who give their honest opinions.

First off, when a reviewer receives a request, the first thing that goes through their mind is to point out whatever errors they find in your work. And for a lot of you (me included), your book is going to contain loads of it. Some writers don’t even understand what a reviewer has to go through taking the time and effort to sit down and correct someone else’s work!

You seriously expect a reviewer to sort through this mess and give you happy feedback?

I'm sorry, but no.

Some reviewers don’t even enjoy some of what they read but they review it so they can help you make your book better. There are many times I have reviewed books that I literally had headaches right after or while reviewing, and for what reason?

Yet, these reviewers are rewarded with insults after putting themselves under torture to help you! Or you become a mute with no mouth or ears to even thank the reviewer; simply because they made you unhappy. Which is kind of ungrateful especially when they weren’t rude.

WHENEVER SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING FOR YOU. AT LEAST THANK THEM.

If a zombie was munching on your hand and someone shot your arm off to save your life. Thank that person. Even if you lost an arm. They did something for you in the end.

Plus, reviewers most times don’t see the need to give you unnecessary praise, especially when you have hundreds of them in your comment section. But these reviewers still praise you and point out your mistakes at the same time, and like every rational human being, you only focus on the negative aspect that was pointed out. Though, unlike these same rational people, there are some who would go out of their way to curse and insult the person who reviewed their work…

When you ask for a review, you are asking for their honest opinions, and not for them to tell you; “This book was amazing. It is the best book I’ve ever read. There is nothing I’ve seen like this. You are an amazing writer.”

Yay! Now clap for yourself…

However, just because you receive a bad review does not mean your book cannot get any better. You may end up becoming an even better writer than your reviewer (as some of them are writers themselves.)

Sometimes a review would mean your book was bad or it was just a personal preference of the reviewer (which is just a score out of the issues pertaining to your work). But that means you have room for improvement and that is something you should do; so wipe that stupid expression off your face and start editing your damn book. Your writing isn’t going to magically improve by itself.

NEVER delete your book or stop writing if you receive a bad or negative review. That just shows you put no effort into improving your work and yourself as a person. We all may sometimes suck in what we do but NO ONE should have the authority to tell you to stop writing or doing what you love.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro