23• Humongous Vocabulary

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I WISH I COULD DIP PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN MOLTEN LAVA

By the above statement, I am referring to those with vocabulary issues in their writing.

Let me first start with this. There are times when writing/reading novels that we include/come across words we are not familiar with.

That is fine, honestly.

So, don't break down when your book has a few or a lot of words like that.
But, must I say something about books where you have to take a look at the dictionary every single sentence you read?

Once again, this is different from books about certain things where such terminologies are needed.

This happened in a book club I was formerly in. Some of you may already know that book by now . . . sorry, I won't be telling.

I tried really hard to enjoy that first chapter but I kept seeing big, big, words here and there and my eyes were itching to pop out of their sockets.
Imagine my frustration when I saw comments like these;

"OMG. I'm learning new words everyday."

"There are so many words that I don't understand but . . . good job."

"Your description was beautiful and I learned new words."

I'm sorry if you are reading this, but what kind of NARCISSIST ARE YOU?!

It is one thing to write a book like this but it is another funny thing to give a ******* comment like this;

"I am glad to be able to widen your knowledge."

Or

"I am glad to be able to help you know more words."

Or

"I am glad to be able to educate you."

Am I the only one understanding the implications behind comments like this?

I wish I could go take screenshots about his/her replies but I certainly cannot remember the book, neither do I have the strength to waste on finding it.

You are not the one who invented these words or even English and yet you talk like a proverbial human who has ulterior knowledge that the pitiful masses cannot even fathom to understand.

Yes, I know I just might be typing rubbish.

The chapter I read in particular could have been written in less complex words that would have made more sense -

EXCUSE ME AS I GO HIT MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL!!!!!!!

Okay, so I proceeded with a comment like this;

I can't exactly remember what I wrote but it was something like this;

"The chapter is nice, though I feel you should have done this instead of that as a lot of people would find it hard to read. Though, there might be a particular audience for a book like this (even though I can't think of any). There were also some mistakes here and there, I hope they are corrected."

I was replied with something like this;

"It is a style of writing and I will be leaving it as is, but thank you for the comment/recommendation."

Yes, you mentioned style of writing. But can you people guess what I discovered?

This person was just learning English. And my anger receded at this point because it is VERY COMMON for new writers who are just learning a new language (English especially) to use big words normal English speakers wouldn't think to use in their everyday speech or writing.

Who else is as shocked as me when I first discovered this and did more digging?

People, if I am not wrong, don't you preferably love reading novels in your past time?

Or while you are relaxing?

How would you feel having to read a novel where you would need a freaking dictionary every second to at least show you are brainy enough to understand the delicacy the writer just defecated?

Would you continue in frustration or just move on to something more understandable?

Big vocabulary is nice IF NECESSARY, but it's terrible if that is all your story is about.

Just imagine. When reading, all I could gather from the chapter was;

Nice weather.

Pope.

Nuns.

Church.

Evil Christians.

If the chapter was saying anything in particular, I cannot remember. I even skipped some places!

If readers create their own scenery no matter how much you direct them, then why complicate it?

I thoroughly dislike the fact that they kind of made themselves superior to others. It was very obvious with the way they replied comments.

Let me use my book as an example;

Messed Up Customer - "OMG. I had no idea what corymb, cyme, panicle, raceme flowers, and beautiful fan traceries are but I learned some new words today."

Noble Writer Me - "You shouldn't worry. I am glad I was able to teach you such words and have you learn about them. May the honourable dictionary be with you."

Now imagine if I had to reply every single comment like that, imagine how creepy it would be.

A simple "THANK YOU" would suffice, but no!

You just had to show how glad you were that you managed to educate them.

I checked their book again a few weeks before and I am relieved they no longer make such comments.

But if you are like this, stop it this instant! Even books from the eighteenth century are more understandable than some of the crap you people would cough up. You do not need big words to make your book good, but it will definitely stand out for all the wrong reasons.

A lot of you guys will even find it amusing that the favourite books of people who write like these, have nothing in common with their work. You don't need to use big words in your writing to make people see you as a guru in English.

If I receive books like these to review, I am going to REJECT IT. I cannot be visiting dictionary land and racking my brain to see if the words fit the context in which they are being presented.

Though shant nay edit thai frustracion.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro