11. Smile

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

11. Smile

"Kay, you're set. You may leave." Kuma tells me, waving me off from my monthly checkup.

I grumble a soft 'yeah' in response. I hated checkups and I hate hospitals, but Kuma has to make an attempt to have the infirmary seem just as suffocating as those white, white, white buildings! I don't need checkups! I'm not dying! Yet.

Muttering angrily under my breath, I stomp back to class. Homeroom hadn't even begun yet, and I'm already having an annoying day. Great.

Today was the day another main character makes his appearance. I sigh, and I open the door to the classroom, forcing my lips to curl upwards.

"I'm baaack!" I smile.

"Welcome back, Rei!" Takeshi greets me back with a smile mirroring mine, "How was it?"

I made an OK with my fingers, "What are you talking about? Rei-chan's absolutely immortal!"

-----

"So we have a transfer student from Italy, Gokudera Hayato." the teacher introduced promptly, receiving swoons from the girls in class.

Gokudera Hayato was a typical bad-boy type. He had the looks to be a hottie, and as a former girl, I could acknowledge that Gokudera was definitely eye candy.

His permanent scowl was locked in one spot--I didn't even have to follow his gaze to know who he was glaring at. Tsuna visibly flinched as he noticed as well that the transfer student was staring straight at him.

Marching over, ignoring the teacher, Gokudera kicked Tsuna's table hard, earning a sharp yelp in surprise from the wannabe Mafia Don.

I unintentionally licked my lips.

It's begun.

-----

It was now lunch break, and Gokudera was one of the first to leave the classroom. No fangirls managed to land their hands on him, and he vanished from the school building. No one knew where he went.

Except me. Me. Waving myself off from Takeshi's invite for lunch, I went around the school grounds.

It was in a courtyard-like area... behind the school? Somewhere people don't usually go by so... Just then, I spotted the silver-haired bomber right around the corner.

Bingo.

I slapped myself and put on a smile, walking over.

He was lighting up a cigarette, blowing out nicotine fumes. He seemed to be thinking, annoyed at something perhaps, but was keeping his composure.

"Heya," I greeted.

He spun around warily, a surprised expression on his face quickly wiping itself away as he realized I wasn't an enemy.

"Who the hell are you?" but he wasn't letting his guard down any further. Someone who can sneak up on an experienced Mafioso is dangerous, after all.

"I'm Ninomiya Rei." I pointed at myself casually, "I'm in your class."

He tutted, uninterested. "Go somewhere else," he spat.

I chuckle and take another step closer. He flinched away at the sudden invasion of personal space- and just then, I snatched the cigarette from his mouth.

"Wha-" he was visibly surprised, growing wary enough now to reach into his shirt pockets for his dynamite and a new cig. "Who are you!" he demanded angrily.

I whistled. "Woah, woah, chill." I say, "I'm just, you could say..." I pondered, extinguishing the cigarette, "I'm a passing magician that thinks you shouldn't be smoking on school grounds." I settled with that.

He wasn't happy with the description. "Are you an enemy?"

Oh, I stopped, I shouldn't show any signs of knowing the Mafia here, should I?

"Enemy?" I ask, "What kinda enemy? I'm just worried for my health and yours." I say, "I have a weak lung, after all." I explain briefly, "but I'm an enemy of smokers, that's for sure."

He probably felt mocked, his glare not easing as he settled on the fact that I probably wasn't gonna attack him physically. The suspicion of me being Mafia wasn't diminished, so he kept his eye on me and kept the cig and dynamites.

Tsuna's coming anytime soon, I thought. I raised a hand in a wave.

"That's all. Hope we get along, Gokudera-san."

-----

I walked back into the school building, and the next corner in, I staggered and fell against the wall. I coughed. And coughed. And coughed. When I stopped, I took a gulp of water at the water fountain. I took a deep breath, wiping my mouth at the edge of my sleeve.

Strange, am I getting sick?

"Rei!"

I flinched at the sudden call. I spun around to see Takeshi, who had on his trademark grin- but it didn't reach his eyes. He was looking at me a little worriedly, perhaps. A trace of concern, barely noticeable, was in his eyes.

"You alright? You look kinda pale."

I nod, forcing out a smile. "I'm okay!" I say, because- I seriously am. But Takeshi definitely wasn't buying this. It was worrisome. It was impossible to be fine around Takeshi. Honestly, it wasn't the time for this lung business with me...

"I don't trust you." Takeshi eyed me skeptically.

I sweeatdrop. "Please trust me." Seriously, this guy is serious at the weirdest times. I sigh. My smile grew less strained as I let out a light chuckle. "I'll go the the infirmary, okay?" I try.

At that, Takeshi seemed the least bit satisfied. "I'll walk you." he offered.

"Eh?" I say, "You don't have to..."

"It's alright! I get to skip class anyways!"

"If you say so, then..."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro