13-Disappearing Act

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Calina
»»««

"Princess Calina?" Ira called after me. He moved to follow, concern etched on his face. However, Ekko raised a hand, signaling for him to halt.

She caught up to me fairly quickly, considering her age.

Out of respect for my father, I slowed down for his mother, but I refused to disguise my anger. They had plucked me from the only life I'd ever known and were expecting me to just go along with their plan.

"Was this your idea? Did you ask them to kidnap me?" Even though I was angry, the question came out barely above a whisper. I crossed my arms over my chest. I felt raw and exposed. This woman, whom my father always spoke so highly of, was involved in stripping me from my life.

"No, no, I asked them to talk to you. To convince you to come here on your own," she said, placing a hand on my arm. I stepped back out of her touch and turned away. Only, I had nowhere to go and no clue where I was in this enormous palace.

"May I walk you to your room, Calina?" Ekko asked, ever polite even though I was being openly coarse. I gave one terse nod, and she took the lead.

The walk to wherever we were going was long and quiet. At least she wasn't trying to fill the awkward silence. I felt completely detached from my body. It was as if I were watching my life unfold from a distance, the events were spiraling out of control and giving me vertigo. This situation I had never imagined existed for myself. A princess. It all sounded so fantastical.

She opened the door to a room, and I realized we were back at the room I had woken up in. She held up my black backpack. I didn't even notice she had been carrying it the entire time.

"I know you're angry with me, but this country is on the brink of war."

"What does that have to do with me, Ekko?" I stepped around her and into the bedroom, blocking the doorframe in case she decided to come in.

"When your father left, Romarvia attempted an uprising. They demanded their king gain control of Greecia since my son broke the treaty. I regained my status as queen, a title that was mine before I bequeathed it to your father. There were many outbreaks of rebellion in Romarvia over the years. Greecia has maintained control. We're much stronger than Romarvia, but our military has taken a number of hits in the battles throughout the years. This proposed treaty, along with your marriage, holds the potential to bring much-needed peace between our nations. Calina, as the rightful heir, your claim to the throne is unassailable. No one can strip that from you."

I stared at her, incredulous. "So, you want me to marry someone I don't know, someone who kidnapped me, all to save a country I've never lived in and know nothing about?"

She nodded solemnly. "I understand it's a lot to ask, but this marriage could prevent further bloodshed. It's not just about the throne; it's about the lives of countless people in both nations."

I sighed heavily, the weight of the situation pressing down on me. "I don't want any part of this, Ekko. I don't want to be a pawn in your political games. I want to go back to my life, in Freedom."

"I know, Calina," she said softly. "But sometimes, we don't get to choose our paths. Sometimes, our paths choose us."

I shook my head, rolling my eyes shut. She wasn't listening. I had made my decision. I did not want to be in this country a second longer.

"Calina, please consider what I'm saying before you try to leave."

I stepped further into the room and slammed the door in her face. I didn't care if she thought I was rude. I hoped she kicked me out of this kingdom because of it. This wasn't my responsibility. I was not a princess.

Dragging the back of my hands across my cheeks, I dried my tears and locked the door behind me, then went into the bathroom. While the sunken tub slowly filled with warm water, I found myself fixated on the view beyond the double-paned window. Staring out, my watery eyes adjusted to the sight of clouds swirling ominously across the sky. These were not soft and fluffy clouds; no, these clouds were very dark and menacing.

If I hadn't gotten a passport, would my parents still be alive? They died a week after revealing their true identities. Could that have just been coincidence? I felt responsible. My chest ached with guilt.

The first drops of rain began to splatter against the glass just as the bath filled to the brim, steam rising in gentle tendrils. The rain intensified, drumming against the window with increasing ferocity. I could do it. Storm be damned. I could slip out of this castle into the cover of darkness, disappear as my parents had years ago. Free to live my life as I wished and not bound by duties that I had no interest in taking on.

Every choice we made ultimately changed our ending. That was a motto my mother would say often.
I was too rough around the edges to be a poised little Princess. I was doing this country a favor by leaving. Let someone else rule this kingdom. Someone that has known about their destiny since they were a child.

Forceful thunder suddenly erupted, shaking the very foundation of the room and rattling the windows with its impact, jolting me from my thoughts.  With my mind made up, I sank back into the waiting tub. I had to leave tonight. Running away in the midst of such tempestuous weather was definitely far from ideal, but the urgency of the situation outweighed any concerns about the elements.

With a deep breath, I reluctantly abandoned the warmth of the tub, water droplets trailing down my skin as I hastily dried off. The air felt suffocatingly thick with nervous energy as I made my way into the attached dressing room. All the clothing was hidden behind closet doors and built-in drawers along every wall. There was a massive island in the middle of the room full of accessories. Ignoring the persistent thunder that rattled the windows, I pulled open various doors to the wardrobe, desperately searching for something inconspicuous to wear. The closet had been prepared like I had intended on staying. That only further fueled my need to leave.

I'll admit, I got a bit sidetracked while I was rifling through the plethora of high-quality designer clothes. Racks upon racks of fabrics that were rich and luxurious, and the designs were nothing short of breathtaking. But I had no time to admire them. I needed something practical. Finally, I found a simple, dark outfit that would allow me to move easily and blend into the shadows: black pants, a fitted shirt, and a lightweight water resistant jacket. I set the outfit aside for later and found similar clothing to cram into my backpack. There was an entire wall for shoes alone, but I'd rather have my black combat boots. They were a gift from my parents. I still had no clue how to get home, but the first step was getting the hell out of this place. At least I had enough survival training to know that I needed to map out an escape route. First, I'd figure out where the kitchen was to get food, then wander around to find an escape route for later tonight.

There was a light knock at the bedroom door. When I unlocked and opened it, Ira stood before me with a domed tray.

"The queen thought you'd prefer dinner in your quarters tonight. Unless, you'd care to join her in her chambers?" Ira asked.

Shit. This definitely threw a wrench in my plans. I opened the door wider and he stepped through, placing the tray on the small table in the far corner of the room.

"No, this is fine. I have a terrible headache and planned to go to sleep soon," I lied easily.

"That would explain the sleep attire at six p.m.," Ira said softly. "Is there anything I can get for you, Princess? Medicine for your head perhaps?"

"Maybe a few bottles of water and some granola bars, please. Just leave them at my door."

"Yes, of course, Princess." He gave me a respectful nod, but there was a flicker of concern in his eyes.  " Are you sure there's nothing else you need? I can bring you anything you want. A heating pad, a doctor. An acupuncturist."

"I appreciate it. I promise I'll be fine after some rest," I replied, hoping to end the conversation.

Ira studied me for a moment longer, then finally relented. "Alright. I'll be back shortly with the water and snacks." He bowed slightly and I closed the door behind him. If he thought the request was unusual, he didn't let on. It was upsetting that I won't get to wander the halls for a smooth way out of here. I'd just have to figure it out along the way.

Lifting the lid off the tray, the aroma of roasted chicken and vegetables filled the room. It looked delicious, but my appetite was non-existent. I forced myself to eat every morsel anyway, knowing I'd need the energy for tonight.

When I opened the door to set the empty tray outside my room, Ira was walking down my hall with a bag in hand.

"Ira," I called softly, offering him the tray as he approached.

He took it with a nod, handing me the bag in return. "Here are the water bottles and granola bars, Princess. I'll be right outside if you need anything else."

"Thank you, Ira. I really appreciate it," I said, taking the bag and giving him a tired smile before closing the door gently.

The castle seemed to hum with an energy of its own as I carefully opened the door and slipped into the dimly lit corridors, my footsteps muffled by the distant roars of thunder. I paused for a moment, my mind racing to find a way out of this labyrinthine castle. At the very end of the hall, a cluster of guards gathered, receiving orders from Ira on their night's watch. Their voices were drowned out by the howling wind and crashing thunder. I had to strain my ears to even hear them, which meant they couldn't hear me either, a stroke of luck that I couldn't afford to waste. Slinking through the shadows, I made my way to a room a few doors across from mine, its doorway offering a better vantage point down the hall.

I waited, tense, until their meeting dispersed, then a flicker of movement caught my eye-a lone guard patrolling the hallway, his silhouette stark against the intermittent flashes of lightning. It was too late to shut the door completely; I pressed myself against the wall, praying he remained oblivious to my presence.

Grateful that Ira wasn't guarding my hall at the moment, I continued my silent journey, navigating the maze-like corridors with the skill of a seasoned warrior. My father had trained me from a young age in various styles of combat, ensuring that I could handle any situation that might arise. He taught me to track my enemies with the keen eyes of a hunter and to hide from them with the stealth of a shadow. He called these exercises "warrior games" when I was a child. What seemed like fun, adrenaline-fueled challenges were, in reality, vital lessons preparing me for a future he knew we could not escape.

Failed me? I couldn't believe he thought he had failed me. He prepared me in the best way he knew how. Every lesson, every drill was his way of ensuring I would be ready for anything. I didn't regret my childhood for a second. Those "games" were the foundation of who I was as a person. I would always be grateful for the life my parents gave me.

Finally, I reached a massive set of doors on the main floor, I slowly pushed it open the hinges creaked open with a haunting groan. The storm raged on, rain pelting my face as I stepped outside, leaving behind the castle, and the title of princess.

The world outside the castle was darker than I realized, nothing more than a blur of shadows and rain, but the urgency to escape propelled me forward. I could handle some rain; it was the sinister howling of the wind that gave me pause. Flashes of my nightmare from this morning, flickered through my mind as I wrapped my arms around myself and set off at a brisk pace.

The sound of rain hammering against the cobblestone stone served as a symphony to my escape.
Finally, I reached the outer walls of the castle. I couldn't let the fear of being alone stop me from leaving. I couldn't stay here. Forced into a marriage. I shuddered, but it had nothing to do with the chill in the night air.
The guards stationed at the gates were preoccupied with securing the perimeter against the raging brutal storm, their attention diverted from the shadows that lurked in their midst.

Seizing the opportunity, I slipped past them like a whisper on the wind, my movements swift and silent as I melted into the darkness that seemed to swallow me whole. There weren't any working street lamps on the road ahead, maybe the storm had knocked them out.

The road that had lead to the palace stretched on for miles and miles. Every mile there was a solar paneled hologram sign urging people to turn around, that this was a  private road. I counted eight of those signs before I finally found my way on a main road.

I was functioning on fumes by the time a bus station had materialized from the downpour. It felt like a stroke of luck because I genuinely had no idea how I was going to distance myself from that castle. I had no idea how I even managed to make it this far without being caught. Perhaps they were being truthful when they said I was free to go. Or perhaps the storm had knocked out the power in parts of the castle and their security cameras had been down.

I only paused long enough at the bus stop to see what time the next bus would be expected. The chill of the rain had seeped into my bones and I only had fifteen minutes to get out of my soaking wet clothes and into the dry ones I had packed in my backpack. The only thing I had in lieu of disguising myself was brown colored eye contacts. I'd buy a hat at the gift shop, keep my head down and pray that'd be enough to get me out of this country. For now that was the best I could do.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro