17- The Art Of Acceptance

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Calina
༛༛ ༛ ༛༺♔༻༛ ༛ ༛༛

When the Queen suggested having dinner "in here," she meant the large parlor room, not on the couches where we had been sitting. It would have been quite a sight to see an honest-to-goddess king and queen sitting on couches with plates on their laps, eating dinner.

Instead, she guided us to a small round table set near a bay window, offering a perfect view of the dusky purple and bruised blue sky of the fading twilight. Aromatic soup made from garden-fresh vegetables and a hint of thyme had already been set at the table, waiting for us.

The Queen, Knox, Emilio, and I ate silently, the clinking of silverware against plates the only sound breaking the silence. I hardly touched the soup. The main course arrived promptly after the Queen set her spoon next to her empty bowl: a tender fillet of beef resting on a bed of truffle-infused mashed potatoes, drizzled with a red wine reduction. Roasted root vegetables-carrots, parsnips, and beets-glazed with honey and thyme, accompanied the dish.

I could only nibble at the beef; every bite felt laborious. I couldn't help but glance at the Queen, hoping for some sign of the impending discussion.

"You don't seem worried," I said, setting my fork down. "You said the clone allegations were serious, yet you seem so calm. Does that mean you have a plan?"

"We don't discuss business over meals. Dinner topics are to be light and joyous," the Queen replied in Greek, delicately stabbing a parsnip with her fork.

But no one was saying anything. At home, dinner was when we discussed everything-happy or sad, and everything in between. I had wanted to argue, but I opted for glaring at my picked-over plate instead.

"You see, Callie," Emilio said lightly. "If you would have looked at me like that earlier, there's no way you would have been able to take me down so easily. Your face had been so calm and serene before you made me eat dirt."

Knox chuckled into his wine glass before taking a sip. "So are you saying it was a fluke? She caught you off guard?"

The Queen's fork, full of mashed potatoes, paused halfway to her mouth as she glanced my way.
"That is exactly what I am saying," Emilio grinned at me.

Knox raised an eyebrow. "From what I saw, it was a perfect takedown. Graceful, efficient, and utterly embarrassing for you."

Emilio laughed, shaking his head.
"Your father trained you, didn't he?" The Queen asked, abandoning her fork and taking a sip of her water.

"Since I was five," I admitted with a soft smile.

"Oh no, Sir Emilio. While I was not there to witness the takedown, I know my son well enough to know that he trained his daughter well. If I were a Neanderthal and placed bets, I'd bet Calina could do it again. Probably using the same maneuver as before."

The table erupted with laughter at the Queen's barb.

After that the conversation between the queen, Emilio, and Knox flowed easily. They bantered and joked like old friends. I smiled easily but kept quiet since I really didn't know any of them. Dessert was brought out: a delicate panna cotta with a berry compote, its sweet aroma filling the room. It was delicious and I devoured the whole thing. The only food I could ever tolerate when I was stressed were sweets. I had wanted to ask for seconds but at last Queen Ekko set down her spoon and dabbed her mouth with a napkin, signaling the end of the meal.

"Let us retire to the adjoining chamber," Queen Ekko said, rising from her seat. "We have much to discuss."

The smaller room we entered was more intimate, with a crackling fireplace and plush chairs arranged in a circle. The atmosphere felt heavy with anticipation.

"Please, sit," Queen Ekko said, motioning to the chairs. As we took our seats, she fixed me with a thoughtful gaze.

"Perceptions are powerful, and rumors even more so. We must find a way to address your likeness to Queen Ariadne before it becomes a larger issue. The integrity of the throne and the safety of our kingdom depend on it."

I leaned forward, my expression serious. "What can we do to prove my identity? It's not something ridiculous like altering my identity all together is it? I refuse to get a face lift." Leaning back in my chair, I crossed my arms.

"Of course not, Calina. Your face is a symbol of hope for our nation. You will be wholly loved by the Greecian people. Your likeness to the Queen is a blessing. Providing proof of your identity is so that we do not go to war with neighboring countries."

That felt like too much pressure. I was only twenty years old. I was barely even an adult and I was supposed to rule over a sizable country that would grow even larger and with more responsibility if I married Henry? That sounded like way too much stress for someone that hadn't even had an opportunity to experience living in her own apartment or even adopting a pet.

"What do we do now?" I finally managed to ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"We need to be proactive," Knox replied, his voice gentle and resolute. "We can't let speculation and rumors overshadow your return home. We have to take control of the narrative and ensure that the truth is known."

"Our medical team will complete a sample collection and DNA extraction in front of a noble eyewitness that will discredit any allegations thrown our way. King Knox has graciously agreed to oversee our protection," Ekko added.

"Graciously? He's the one blaming you for creating a clone," I snapped.

"King Knox did not blame me. In fact, he believed me when I denied his accusation, but he is rightly curious. You've seen the pictures of Ariadne. Our country's history with cloning condemns you. Leaders worldwide are tasked with protecting humanity against this growing threat. It is his duty not to turn a blind eye just because he and I are friends and allies. Calina, you cannot speak to him as you do the prince. King Knox is equivalent to an emperor. It isn't a term we use anymore, but he single-handedly rules the most powerful kingdom in the world. I'm begging you to watch your tongue," Ekko lectured me in Greek.

Her harsh tone took me by surprise. There was almost fear in her eyes when she flicked a glance at Knox to see if he had been offended by my outburst. Ira had shown that fear in front of him too. I didn't care if he was a powerful king; I didn't want to be involved in this world. I wanted to go home.

The last month of my life had felt like one giant "what the hell" moment after another. This life of royalty was seriously leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I was running out of patience for this princess nonsense.

"Look, a simple solution would be to just dump me back in Freedom. It doesn't even need to be in SilverLake. Just get me across the ocean, and I'll figure out the rest. This whole becoming a princess has been an uphill battle. I told Ira I would give it a try, but there are just too many hoops to jump through. A simple solution is to let me go. I'm done. I tap out." I threw my hands up in defeat.

"Everyone can continue their lives like I never existed. It's a solid plan. Let's not deviate." With a resolute nod toward the Queen, I walked to the door. Instead of opening it, the guard stepped in front of it, blocking my exit.

I spun around to face the queen. "Ekko? I would really hate to fight my way out of here and leave on a sour note, but I will."

"Calina, please come back over here." Ekko stood and walked around the chairs, her gentle blue eyes regarding me carefully.

Tilting my head back, I vaguely took in the floral design in the crown molding of the ceiling. To be honest, I could only knock out maybe three guards before the fight turned deadly. Even though I knew six different ways to kill a man in an instant, it was doubtful I'd have the stomach for it. Besides, these guards weren't my enemies.

Arms crossed over my chest, I walked toward her but kept my distance.

"You're panicking. I understand that. Maybe if you stayed and received lessons from a Royal Etiquette tutor on how to be a royal, it would make you a little less scared of it. Learn our history, traditions, diplomacy, and communication. Really dive into your role here before you quit. If you decide after giving it your all that you still don't like being here, I'll take you back to Rogue country."

I scratched at my eyebrow and exhaled in agitation. "I'm not panicking. Some random-albeit highly important-king couldn't accept me at face value and thought the worst of you. What is the rest of your country going to think? This doesn't just affect me. There will be blowback against you, too. The way I look is the problem. If I leave, problem solved. I'd rather go home to no one than be in a country that does not want me here."

She cleared her throat delicately. "I want you here. You are my granddaughter. I wept for you every year on your birthday, every year that I did not get to hold you and celebrate with you. I truly love you. You have had a tough adjustment in Greecia, I know, but these are just minor problems. I will help you through this. I would never turn my back on you, sweet girl." Tears brimming in her eyes spilled over, and it felt like my heart had been sliced wide open.

Her confession wasn't just some act to get me to stay for the sake of Greecia; it was heartfelt. I might not be ready to face the throne, but I would love to have a shared connection with family again. Blinking back tears of my own, I smiled at her softly. "You fight a little dirty, but I like it!"

With a light chuckle, I tossed my arms around her neck for a hug.

"I meant every word," she whispered, embracing me back.

I was too embarrassed to acknowledge Knox and Emilio's presence as I stepped back from the queen, swiping at the tears on my face. They had both stayed perfectly quiet during the entire exchange between the queen and me.

Perhaps I had offended Knox. That didn't mean I was going to apologize.

I moved to the wall lined with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves while she spoke quietly to Knox and Emilio. My fingers brushed along the spines of the ancient tomes, but it was a painting on one of the shelves that caught my eye.

The abstract painting depicted a pregnant woman with a delicate crown resting atop her head, standing in what seemed to be a field of flowers. Her form was outlined in soft, swirling lines, distorted and blending seamlessly with the vibrant landscape around her. She stood with her head bowed, cradling her belly tenderly. The brushstrokes were wild and expressive, capturing the emotional intensity of the moment.

I recognized this painting immediately. My father had painted one just like it, and it too sat on a bookshelf in his office. I lifted the frame and, in the corner of the painting, was his signature in gold. I smiled and brushed my finger across the golden crown he had drawn over the "O." The painting he had signed at my childhood home had a vine of flowers entwined around the "L."

I wondered what else I would find of my parents. Once upon a time this castle did belong to them. This was their home. Before a single mistake was made, an error that had altered my life. Before that this could have been my home too. Now, I was being given the opportunity to live the life I should have had years ago. Royalty. A princess. A throne. These were all foreign words.

"I know it's late, sweet pea, but I'd like to go ahead and meet the medical examiner now to complete the exam so that King Knox can return to his kingdom," Queen Ekko said gently from behind me.

Taking a cleansing breath, I placed the painting back on the shelf and shoved the ache and pain of missing my parents back into the box of my hollowed-out heart. I turned to face her, nodding slightly.

"Alright, let's get this over with," I said, my voice steadier than I felt.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro