29- Trails of enchantment

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Calina

Knox showed up at my door exactly an hour later. He wore a lightweight, moisture-wicking long-sleeve shirt in a deep forest green color, its sleeves rolled up and secured with button tabs. His charcoal gray pants boasted multiple pockets and were paired with sturdy dark brown hiking boots.

I caught his gaze lingering appreciatively on my teal leggings before it shifted to my feet. "I'm almost ready. Just need to grab my boots. You don't need to stand in the hall. Come inside," I called over my shoulder as I dashed into my closet. I desperately wanted to wear my combat boots since they were the only shoes I owned that would be broken in enough for the hike, but I opted for a pair of muted grey hiking shoes that looked like would provide ample support and traction on uneven terrain.

"Where are your usual black boots?" Knox raised an eyebrow, leaning against the door frame as he eyed my footwear.

"Those were the very last gift from my parents. I didn't want them to get ruined on the hike," I explained, picking at the shimmering lilac polish on my nails, hoping to avoid any pity in his eyes.

Changing the subject, I asked, "So how far away is this hiking trail? Are we heading to the cliff nearby?"

"It's about a three-hour drive north of here," Knox replied.

I couldn't contain my excitement. "Seriously? We're leaving the vicinity of this palace?" I squealed and bounded up to him. "I'm so excited. This is only going to be my second time in a vehicle that is self driven and hovers in the air," I confessed as we made our way through the palace. Memories of my trip to Elysium the first time resurfaced, memories of missed opportunity.

"When I went to Elysium the first time, I waited at the bus stop for over an hour, I chickened out at the very last second." A wistful smile curved my lips. The very air in the kingdom of Elysium buzzed with the hum of innovation, and the streets were lined with cutting-edge gadgets and futuristic devices.

Knox smiled. "What did you think of my kingdom."

"I fell in love with Elysium. Everything about it, the people, the culture even the air quality was incredible. I wanted to be the very first person from Freedom to graduate from a university in Elysium."

"Considering the university would have needed permission directly from me, that would have never happened. I never would have let a Rogue into my country for longer than a week." A genuine smile tipped his lips when his gaze landed on me. "Clearly, that would have been my error. Considering you're my favorite Rogue."

"Oh no, declining me entry would have been wise. I would have stirred up so much chaos. I genuinely enjoyed pushing boundaries and challenging professors. They can be such know-it-alls," I replied, a soft chuckle escaping me. "But what I really loved most about Elysium was Neural Virtual Reality. Nothing like it exists in Freedom."

NVR allowed me to explore a limitless number of virtual worlds using just my mind. It tapped into the neural signals, creating a seamless and immersive experience. I could visit ancient civilizations, dive into the depths of the ocean, or venture into outer space. Instantly, my surroundings transformed, transporting me into a realm where imagination came to life.

"I found myself standing in a bustling market in ancient Egypt, surrounded by vibrant colors and bustling merchants. The sensation was so realistic that I could almost feel the heat of the sun on my skin and smell the fragrant spices wafting through the air. Anyway, my short stint in the Kingdom of Elysium is sort of the reason I'm no longer in Freedom. Rebelling against my parents' wishes and visiting a country I've wanted to see since I was a little girl was kind of my downfall."

Knox listened intently, his expression a mix of curiosity and understanding. "Downfall? Do you really hate being a princess that much?"

"It's not that I hate it," I replied, contemplating my words. "But if time machines weren't illegal, I would go back in time and fix the last year of my life. Maybe I would have stayed hidden like my parents wanted."

"How are you really holding up, Calina?" Knox asked as we stepped out of the palace.
The sleek silver car awaited us at the entrance, its doors opening automatically as we approached.

"I'm fine."

"Honestly? You're in a safe space with me. You can share whatever you want or nothing at all. I want you to know I'm in your corner."

I shrugged. "It has been a lot all at once. I'm not even sure if I've fully processed it."
Sometimes I still blamed my parents. They should have just told me everything from the beginning. Shared this important fact that I was destined to rule over a country.

With a heavy sigh, I slid into the back of the car. It was a little too late for the blame game. Hopefully, Knox wouldn't keep trying to push me to open up or this day was going to be a disaster. I wanted distraction, not therapy.

⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞ ⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝

The drive to the mountain was surprisingly quick, and Knox effortlessly kept the conversation flowing, sensing my moods and carefully avoiding sensitive topics. Overall, the ride was pleasant.

Once we arrived, Knox exited the car and informed me that he would meet me at the base of Mount Veridian, walking off with Emilio. As soon as I stepped out of the car, Ira approached me, offering a heavy dark green backpack. He began explaining its contents, including water, a flashlight, and an emergency kit. However, I found it difficult to concentrate on his words. He seemed tense. Well, more intense than usual.

"You okay, Ira?"

"I'm fine, Your Highness. Thank you." His eyes scanned the grassy premises like an active threat was going to jump out at the very moment he looked away.

I playfully bumped his shoe with mine, trying to ease his worry. He looked down at me and smiled.

"Really, Princess, I'm okay. Enjoy your hike."

I adjusted the backpack on my shoulder and made my way toward Knox. He and Emilio were engaged in conversation a few feet away.

"Ready?" Knox asked when I approached. I shrugged, glancing back as Emilio faded into the distance.

We started on a scenic trail that wound through a verdant forest, sunlight seeping through the canopy overhead casting enchanting patterns on the forest floor. There was a delicate sweetness that lingered on the breeze, damp earth, and aromatic pine needles of spruce trees.

After walking a few hundred feet, I instinctively glanced behind me for my shadow. It was more of a habitual gesture than a necessity. However, my legs locked up and my feet felt glued to the ground as I realized Ira, Emilio, and the six other guards that Knox had brought were still waiting by the cars at the bottom of the hill.

"Aren't they coming?" I asked, surprised.

"No, this hike is just for us," Knox replied. "Having a guard watching your every move 24/7 can be overwhelming. I thought you could use a break."

I looked up at Knox, a mix of amusement and disbelief on my face. "So they're not coming with us? It's just you and me?"

"Just us," he confirmed, his tone causing my heart to beat faster.

"Yeah, okay," I said, frowning slightly before resolutely starting up the mountain. It was hard to believe, but I couldn't deny the excitement pulsing through me.

I'd bet that's what Ira's surly mood was about, leaving me alone.

Twenty minutes into the trail, we reached a narrow bridge suspended over rushing water, connecting two banks. A palpable sense of trepidation filled the air, and I found myself inexplicably waiting for Ira to take the lead, as if seeking reassurance of its safety.

Unable to contain my curiosity any longer, I turned to Knox and asked, "So where are they, really?" I nodded my head in the direction of the guards, though they were far out of sight.

"Because the last time I checked, you were kind of a big deal. And you're so exposed right now. What if we cross paths with a bear or something," I teased, a playful smirk on my face.

"Then we run like hell," Knox deadpanned.

I snorted a laugh and nudged my shoulder against his playfully. We stared down at the thunderous, frothy white rapids that crashed against rocks and cascaded over small waterfalls in shiny satin ribbons. Its melodic hum filled the air with untamed energy.

Suddenly, Knox extended his hand, and a tiny silver speck, no bigger than a ladybug, landed in his palm.

"They are called insect drones. The guards are flying them. Emilio told me how much you despise never truly being alone. Thought I could give you the illusion of normalcy."

I stared at the delicate device in awe. Gratitude and surprise swirled in my chest, forming a lump in throat. "That's... really thoughtful," I said softly, touched by the gesture.

Knox smiled, a warm glint in his eyes. "Anything to make you feel more comfortable, Calina."

"But I have one other question: how is that tiny thing supposed to keep us safe from a hypothetical bear attack?"

Knox flicked the drone out of his palm and picked up a rock the size of his fist.

"Watch carefully," he stated before throwing the rock into the air. As it fell, it split in two as if sliced by a sharp blade, hitting the ground in separate pieces.

"That tiny bug did that?" I asked incredulously, marveling at the lack of light or sound from the drone.

"When the drones were in development, we spent a week shirking all responsibilities and shooting things with lasers. They're capable of much more, but the lasers are my favorite," Knox explained, a hint of mischief in his green eyes.

I suppressed a giggle, imagining Knox embracing his inner child.

My heartbeat accelerated as I stepped onto the weathered planks of the narrow bridge. My fist tightened around the railings made of rope when I felt the gentle sway with every step I took. The rhythmic creaking of the timbers beneath our feet added a touch of suspense, heightening my awareness of the delicate balance between stability and the powerful river beneath. As we made our way across the bridge, a cool mist brushed against my face, carried by the swift breeze created by the rushing water.

Finally, we reached the other side, and a surge of accomplishment washed over me.
We continued along the winding trail, surrounded by vibrant wildflowers and lush greenery. Knox and I fell into an easy conversation, our voices mingling with the sounds of birds chirping and leaves rustling in the breeze. We discussed everything from the kingdom's history to our shared dreams and aspirations. Laughter flowed freely, and we shared stories that revealed a deep connection that went beyond anything I'd felt with anyone in my life. Everything felt so normal, so perfect. It felt so strange.

As the incline of the trail flattened out, the sound of a roaring waterfall grew louder.

"Wow." The thundering waterfall came into view, drowning out my whisper. The cascading water shimmered and sparkled against the beating sun before pummeling the jagged rocks below. The sheer beauty of it stole my breath.

I stepped closer to the outskirts of the plunge pool. The rippling water was crystal clear, spilling over the sharp edges of the ridge in a soft, silky curtain of blue and silver as it rushed along the side of the mountain into a larger pool down below.

"This is incredible." I glanced over at Knox, startled that his focus was on me instead of the serenity of the waterfall.

Placing my hand on his forearm, I stared up into his intoxicating green eyes, easily my new favorite color. "I really appreciate you doing this for me, Knox."

It felt like the first real breath I'd taken in months. I exhaled, and the tension left my body, right there in that very moment. Maybe I was ready for the next chapter of my life-a chapter I'd like Knox to be included in.

"You're welcome."

With his hand on my lower back, Knox guided me toward the colorful patchwork quilt in the shade of a nearby mahogany tree. Surrounded by the beauty of the sunset and the tranquility of the mountains, the intimacy of the moment felt almost overwhelming. My crush on him seemed to intensify with each passing second.

As the sun descended, casting elongated shadows over the landscape, Knox unpacked a variety of food from a large silver picnic basket: gourmet sandwiches, vibrant fruit salad, crisp crackers, and a selection of cured meats. Knox paused, his thoughtful gaze lingering on me, before breaking into a warm smile. With a gentle gesture, he extended an egg roll towards me, its golden exterior glistening in the fading sunlight. The unexpected offering intrigued me, a touch of whimsy amidst the traditional picnic fare.

I accepted the egg roll graciously and settled on the edge of the quilt. "An egg roll on a picnic?"

Knox's eyes sparkled with playful mischief. "I heard they were your favorite food. They are, no?"

A burst of laughter escaped my lips at the absurdity of indulging in an egg roll on a picnic with a king. How did he find out that my favorite food to indulge in when I'm stressed was egg rolls? Maybe Alice?

"Oh, my goddess," I exclaimed, still chuckling. "They truly are my go-to comfort food." Taking a bite, I closed my eyes, savoring the delicious flavors.

Knox, reclining against the quilt, took a sip of sparkling water, his gaze fixed upon me. "You do not behave like a princess. You're very..."

"Unrefined?" I interjected, raising an eyebrow. "I had no idea I was royalty until a couple of months ago."

"So your parents let you believe you were a Rogue? How were they able to keep your identity a secret? I mean, your face is part of Greek history. I couldn't imagine how I would handle finding out that everything I thought I knew about myself and where I come from was wrong," Knox remarked, curiosity in his voice.

"The education system in Freedom doesn't acknowledge any country that went to war with them. One of them being United Greecia. If you hold a Freedom passport, you're even prohibited from visiting places like Greecia, Australundia, and all of Aoia. So my parents clearly knew what they were doing when they moved to one of the least advanced countries in the world."

"Can we talk about them, your parents? The hyacinth garden was dedicated to your mother from the Queen, correct?" Knox asked.

There was a sharp pang of mixed emotions from Knox's question about my parents and the hyacinth garden. "Yes, the garden was dedicated to my mother by the Queen," I confirmed, my voice clogged with sadness. "My father created it for her when they got married as teenagers. Hyacinths are her favorite flowers." I absentmindedly picked at the shimmering lilac nail polish on my fingers.

"Are they your favorite flowers as well?" He handed me a bottle of mineral water, which I accepted gratefully, realizing only then how thirsty I was. The sun dipped below the horizon, the sky transformed into a breathtaking tapestry of stars.

I hesitated, not wanting to delve too deeply into the subject of my parents. She was my rock, and my father was my best friend. With a sigh, I twisted the cap back onto the empty water bottle, unsure of how much I was willing to share.

Knox had been nothing but kind. I knew I shouldn't shut him out, even though it felt like he was pushing me too far. "They look like home, but they don't smell like it. The hyacinths at the palace almost smell like mothballs."

Curiosity gleamed in Knox's eyes as he leaned in. "How do the ones from your home smell different?"

My pulse quickened, and I mustered the strength to share a treasured memory. "My mother used to cross-pollinate flowers as a hobby." I coughed to clear the tears clogging my throat. Thinking about her caused a heavy weight to settle in my heart.

"I, umm... One day I made an off-hand comment about how pretty hyacinths were but how awful they smelled. She created a hybrid of wisteria and hyacinth just for me. They were stunning, pure white with neon-bright colored tips, and their scent was heavenly. It reminded me of the fresh air after a thunderstorm, with hints of citrus zest. She filled our garden with those hybrid flowers."

Knox's touch was gentle as he slid the back of his finger down my cheek, catching a stray tear.

"Would it be okay if I had the flowers from your mother's garden brought in?"

His words caught me off guard, and my eyes widened. "The actual flowers she created? You can do that?"

A soft smile played on his lips. "Of course."

Touched by his gesture, overwhelmed by the thought of having a piece of my mother's creation near me, I found my voice. "Yes. I'd be... that would make... yes, Knox. Thank you."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro