7-Shattered Heart

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Calina
»»♔««

Three and a half weeks ago, I buried my parents. I didn't purposely mark the days since their death. My mind and my heart just knew how long they have been severed from my life.

My fragile psyche remained haunted by a single question that produced no answer. Not even an ounce of comfort when the question took hold of my thoughts and held me prisoner. One powerful three letter word that continued to cripple me: why?

Why them? Why take both?

I was seated in the expansive library of Parish University, but my presence here was merely a formality. I had been going through the motions of college, of life. Not really seeing, hearing, or feeling.

I was on autopilot.

My phone had been broken for three and half weeks and I hadn't bothered to get it fixed. If I didn't need a degree, I would quit school.

My life felt like an inexorable downward spiral, where nothing seemed to matter anymore.

My father would be so pissed to find out that I had let their deaths drain the vitality from my existence.
My father was loving and my mother was kind, but they would have both told me to snap out of it all ready. They didn't care for mopey whiners, but I was consumed by my grief. It would be too overwhelming to pretend otherwise.

I shook my head to clear the slippery slope that thought generally led.

When I glanced up, I was ensnared into copper brown eyes. It caused my heart to startle from the intensity of his gaze.

I racked my brain, trying to place where I'd seen that guy before. A quick glance was spared for the man seated beside him. I had seen them both, but where? Come on, brain, wake up.

Henry. Raines crush.

His stare was unnerving.
Standing, I unceremoniously dumped my books into my backpack before walking up to their table.

"What? Why are you always staring at me like that? Yes, I look like Ariadne-big deal," I snapped, trying to keep my voice low.

His brows furrowed in confusion. "You know about Ariadne?"

"Yes, I know my parents were of royal blood. That was their life. I have zero interest in it, and I'd appreciate it if you left me alone," I growled, turning on my heel to leave the library.

Who the hell did this guy think he was? I had seen him, briefly, at my parents' funeral. I didn't really register it then, but I remember noticing him. Feeling his eyes on me.

I could actually feel his copper gaze on me as I walked away. I looked back to confirm my suspicions when a dark thought popped into my head. The blood drained from my face and landed in my feet like heavy blocks of lead. I came to a halt in the doorway. What if he was the threat my parents had warned me about? What if he killed my parents?

Henry's expression softened, a flicker of sympathy in his eyes. "Calina, please, just hear me out," he called, earning a few shushes throughout the library.

I shook my head, trying to dispel the paranoia from my mind. With a final glare, I pivoted on my heel and darted down the hall.

Turning the corner, I collided with someone. The biocup in their hands smashed between us on impact. I gazed down at the green liquid running down my chest, then up at the jerk running in the halls.

It was Raine. In a campus of twenty thousand students, it figured that I would bump into the one person I had been trying to avoid.

"I'm so damn mad at you!" Rai scolded, hands on her hips, unfazed by the green smoothie staining the front of her shirt too.

"You ran into me," I protested.

"Not for that, dummy. For avoiding me! Yeah, I noticed. I know your father thought I was a hellion, but he still treated me like family. I miss them too. Besides, I've lost a parent. I know what you're going through. Lean on me. That's what the hell friends are for. You can talk to me about anything." Raine's eyes were brimming with sympathy and compassion.

She could be flaky sometimes, but she was reliable, and she truly stood by her word. I just didn't want to discuss it.

I swallowed down the lump forming in my throat, trying to prevent a sob from escaping. My parents were securely locked away in the furthest corner of my mind. If I let her in, I'd lose the precarious grip on what little control I had left.

Taking a deep breath, I plastered a shaky smile on my face. "You're right. I should lean on you."

I probably won't. But I should.

She smiled. "I'm glad you can admit I'm right. It's about damn time."

I grinned and rolled my eyes. She made a face and stuck her tongue out at me.

"Since we're going to be crazy late for our next class, I say we skip it and get doughnuts from your favorite bakery. My treat," Rai declared, hooking her arm through mine and pulling me towards the nearest bathroom to wipe ourselves off.

The cool afternoon air greeted us as we stepped outside, a welcome change from the stuffy corridors of the university. As we walked, I couldn't help but feel irritated at how the world carried on. I was hollow inside, my life had been ripped open. People laughed, chatted, and went about their day without a care in the world. I was slowly dying inside as I watched life move forward from behind a foggy glass wall.

Raine kept up a steady stream of chatter, filling the silence with stories about her classes, her latest art project, and gossip about mutual friends. I listened, nodding at the appropriate moments, but my mind kept drifting back to my parents. I could almost hear my mother's laugh, it was so warm, infectious and bright.

The scent of freshly baked goods enveloped us as we stepped inside. Raine's eyes lit up as she headed for the counter, scanning the display case with delight.

"This is literally the best bakery ever," she declared, turning towards me with a raised eyebrow.

I tilted my head slightly, noticing her newly pink eyebrows. When had she changed it from turquoise? We usually dyed her hair together. We'd make a night of it, with sweet treats and homemade face masks.

"Are you not going to argue with me? C, did you not hear me say this is the best bakery ever?"

I flashed her a soft smile, refusing to take the bait.

"Come on, C, banter with me. Or, you know, you could agree with me for once."

I rolled my eyes. "Why bother? You know damn well the best bakery ever is five miles away."

Raine giggled, her eyes sparkling with mischief as she turned to the cashier. "You can drop this snob's doughnut on the floor. I won't tell a soul. Especially since you and I know this place is better. A chocolate donut for me and a floor coconut donut for my friend, please, oh, and some mini lemon cakes for later."

The cashier chuckled and started preparing our order. Raine turned back to me, her playful demeanor softening. She reached out and squeezed my hand.

"I miss my friend. I miss seeing you happy. We'll get through this together, okay? One doughnut at a time."

I managed a small laugh. "One doughnut at a time, huh? That's your grand plan?"

"Hey, it's worked for us before," she said with a wink. "Remember that time we tried to bake our own doughnuts and nearly burned down your mom's kitchen?"

I chuckled, the memory bringing warmth to my heart. "I don't think I've ever seen my mother so livid. How did we break her mixer? And why were the doughnuts so explosive? The kitchen was a wreck."

I giggled outright, recalling the moment my mother's olive toned skin drained of color as she walked into her kitchen. "I think I might faint," I imitated in my mother's haughty tone just before she stormed into the kitchen.

My laughter sounded almost manic as Raine led us to a table near a window. The sudden shift from laughter to tears caught me off guard. "I can't believe they're gone," I said, my voice breaking.

Raine reached into the brown bag, placing my coconut doughnut on a napkin in front of me. She looked at me with so much compassion that it almost hurt.

"I know, C," she said softly. "I can't imagine what you're feeling, but I'm here. Always."

We sat in comfortable silence, eating our doughnuts. I mostly picked at mine, but I was grateful for the time with my friend. It was a definite change from my usual routine. Well, my new usual. Classes, bakery, homework, and then curling up in bed to cry until sleep mercifully offered some relief.

Briefly, I considered sharing with Raine the details of my new stalkers. Henry and the bald guy with the salt-and-pepper goatee that was always with him. Because that's what they were. Lurking wherever I was. I had noticed their presence over these last couple of weeks. I just didn't have the energy to be too concerned.

Raine broke the silence, looking up from her doughnut. "You know, we could make a habit of this. Doughnuts and heart-to-hearts every week."

I smiled, though it didn't quite reach my eyes. "That sounds nice."

She studied me for a moment, but didn't call me out on my lie.

I didn't want to involve her in this. If what my parents said was true, that my life was in danger, then I didn't want her anywhere near my drama. Their deaths had been ruled an accident. The driver was drunk and had no connection to my family whatsoever. But still, a part of me wondered about the timing. They had finally shared their secret with me, and a week later they died.

We finished our doughnuts, the conversation drifting to lighter topics. Raine carried most of the conversation, and I listened, trying to lose myself in her enthusiasm. As we went our separate ways, I realized I might have agreed to join her and some friends on a hike this weekend. I'd find a way out of it. I simply didn't have the energy.

As I sank onto my bed, I thought about my parents, their warnings, and the danger that seemed to follow me. I knew I needed to do something about Henry and the goatee guy, but I was too tired to think clearly. For now, I'd try to rest and gather my strength. Tomorrow, I'd figure out my next steps.

»»♔««

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro