8-Your Only Warning

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Calina
»»♔««

The sleepless nights had turned into a never-ending cycle of paranoia and anxiety. My once cozy dorm room now felt like a windowless prison, isolating me from the world and rendering me helpless.

I couldn't keep ignoring this growing problem. This Henry problem. The absence of my parents felt like a pile of bricks weighing on my chest, especially in moments like this when I needed my father's guidance and protection. He had always been the one to handle my problems without hesitation, shielding me from the harsh realities of the world. But now, with their loss, I felt adrift and uncertain about where to even begin addressing my stalker issue. Avoidance had seemed like the best solution.

Just as I was contemplating hiding out in my dorm for one more day, Debbie's holographic figure appeared on the school system's HoloComms, begging me to bring her phone. Knowing that her phone was her lifeline, I begrudgingly complied. Complaining seemed like a pointless waste of energy these days anyway.

Since I was already out of my dorm room, I managed to attend all of my morning classes. The only silver lining to my day was the absence of the stalkers. For a brief moment, I allowed myself to hope that perhaps they had lost interest or were preoccupied with something

Standing in line at my favorite bakery, waiting to get my hands on a cup of much-needed coffee, I absentmindedly scanned the café. And there they were-the two strangers, sitting at a corner table.

Shit. This bakery was my sanctuary, the only place within a five-mile radius of the campus where I could savor amazing coffee and enjoy the affordable WiFi. It was my refuge, and their presence threatened to shatter that safe haven.

I was tempted to march up to them, grab them by the shoulders, and scream, "I just want to live a quiet life!" But I knew that wouldn't solve anything. They had chosen to intrude into my existence, making my dormant life an impossible dream to achieve.

As I stood in line, I tilted my head back, staring up at the tiled ceiling, hoping to find solace in its static patterns. Maybe they were here first, and this encounter was merely a coincidence. But deep down, I knew better. They had been following me long enough to know my schedule, to recognize that I was a creature of habit.

Why me? Why had they taken an interest in me? Irritation swelled within me. This was unbelievable.

I quickly placed my order and decided to take a brief moment to myself in the restroom, ensuring I locked the door behind me. I needed to collect my thoughts and figure out a plan.

Staring at my reflection in the restroom mirror, a whirlwind of questions raced through my mind. None of this made any sense. Why were they harassing me? What had I done to invite this unwanted attention? The answers eluded me, leaving me even more bewildered and on edge. But I refused to back down. If these two individuals thought they could control and intimidate me, they were sorely mistaken. I wasn't just a depressed orphan girl-I was a highly trained fighter, capable of defending myself with both physical and mental resilience. I couldn't hide any longer.

With newfound determination, I climbed out of the window, then rummaged through my messenger bag until I found my purple switchblade, gingerly running the tip of my finger over the sharp point. I had to beg my mother to buy it for me on my tenth birthday. She would not be too pleased if she knew what I was about to do with this defense weapon. A wise person would leave and never come back, but I wouldn't allow myself to be a perpetual target, always looking over my shoulder.

With a resigned shrug, I walked toward the car I had seen them driving. Damn, this was going to do serious damage to my favorite blade. Thoughts of my mother flickered in my mind, and I muttered a silent apology to the universe as I prepared to act. My switchblade in hand, I directed all of my pent-up frustration towards their vehicle, plunging the blade into one of the tires.

Satisfied that my blade didn't break, I moved swiftly, slashing at the other two tires with purposeful strikes. I contemplated damaging all four, but the sudden appearance of a lady walking her tiny dog caught me off guard. Fearful of getting caught, I made a split-second decision to cut my losses and retreat.

Quickly, I made my way back to the window of the restaurant's bathroom. Adrenaline raced through my veins and guilt made my heart feel so damn heavy, but I couldn't dwell on those emotions now. I needed to devise a strategy to outsmart my pursuers and reclaim control over my life.

My coffee was already settled on the serving counter when I retreated from the restroom. The familiar warmth of the biofoam cup permeated my fingers and palms. Usually, that would calm my frazzled nerves or offer me comfort in this new life that felt impossible to keep up with.

"I should walk away. I should walk away," I repeated to myself like a mantra as I headed toward the exit.

Screw it.

My blood boiled, and I felt like I needed to set these two idiots straight. No matter the risks, I refused to let them dictate my existence any longer.
I grabbed a chair, letting it scrape across the floor loudly, as I pulled it up to their table.

Their eyes widened in surprise as they shifted their attention toward me.

I set my coffee down on the table, wrapping my fingers around the to-go cup, so I didn't wrap them around their necks. Then I gave them a dry stare. "So here's the thing, I'm not a fan of being followed around."

"We're not following..."

I raised my hand to cut him off from speaking.
"Don't be a liar and a stalker," I growled through clenched teeth at Henry.

"Let's blame it on grief, but I'm aware that you're following me. If you keep it up, I'll have no choice but to kick your ass." I settled my gaze at the older guy. "Both of you," I growled.

With a tiny smile playing at the corners of my lips, I let the weight of my words sink in, relishing the shock that registered on their faces.

"Consider this your only warning. You do not want me as an enemy."

Tapping my knuckles against the table a few times for emphasis, I grabbed my coffee and walked away, heading straight for the bus stop across the street. Secretly, hoping they exited the bakery before I had to catch my bus. I really would like to see their reaction to my handiwork.

Perhaps slashing their tires seemed excessive for merely stalking, but it was their fault. Maybe if they thought I was totally unhinged, they would leave me the hell alone.

I brought my leg up on the bench and used my knee to cover my smile when I saw Henry step out of the bakery.

His copper eyes locked onto mine with an intensity that sent a shiver down my spine. What was with this guy? It seemed like he couldn't tear his gaze away, as if he had been desperately searching for me and was now struggling to accept that he had finally found me. He needed to chill. He had no idea who he was messing with.

My smile stretched a little bigger the closer he got to his car. He pulled his phone from his pocket, texting as he climbed into the passenger seat.

Damn, he didn't notice.

The second, older guy with the shaved head and goatee didn't even look my way as he balanced a coffee cup on the pink box of pastries.

Goatee guy flung out a slew of curse words when he noticed the flat tire. Upon closer inspection, he realized it had been slashed. He dropped his coffee and pastries, jogging around the car to check the other tires, seeing they'd been slashed too.

The anger on his face was intense. His entire pale complexion turned a fiery shade of red, even the top of his hairless head.

Unable to contain myself, I burst into laughter. It was a genuine, unbridled laugh that echoed through the air. Goatee guy's rage only fueled my amusement, and I laughed even harder.

Henry scrambled out of the car, curious to see what had provoked such a serious reaction from his companion. My laughter filled the air, ringing with a mix of satisfaction and defiance.
Goatee guy stomped his foot, shouting so loud his voice bounced off the buildings. I couldn't make out the words, but it definitely wasn't English.

I stood up from the bench seat as I saw the bus approaching. Slipping my earbuds in, I drowned out their commotion, relishing in the satisfaction of witnessing their reaction to my small act of defiance.

Both of them turned their gazes toward me, I met their stares with an unyielding smirk and bowed at the waist before the bus pulled in front of me, blocking them from my view.

Taking a seat on the bus, I glanced out of the window. Goatee guy was engrossed in a phone conversation, while Henry leaned against the back of the car. He raised his coffee cup in a subtle salute, a minuscule smile playing on his lips as he bowed his head slightly.

I smiled proudly at him with my small victory as the bus pulled away.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro