28. Werewolf Crazy

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

What's up peeps! I almost forgot I have to upload a chapter.
Enjoy!

28. Werewolf Crazy

I glare at the two people sitting on the sofa in front of me.

Rebecca laughs again as if Luke just said the funniest thing in the world, while all he said is;

“So you were planning to kill us?”

“It’s part of the Hunt,” She waves a dismissive hand “But I’ve changed my mind now.”

She runs a single finger through his hair and Luke smiles at her. The bastard smiled! He was snapping at me all the damn time!

I huff and cross my arms. My eyes run over the lounge we’re sitting in in an attempt to ignore them.

A chalendire hangs from the high roof, the furniture is a charade of white, gold and red. The cookies that were put on the table in front of us are gone, leaving only the crums as a sign that they were ever there.

The spectacular work was due to yours truly, since Luke was busy charming Rebecca and she was busy pretending to not be interested while her hands seemed to think otherwise.

See who the bitch is here?

“Even Darcie was better than you,” I mutter to myself

“Come, I’ll show you to your room,” Rebecca takes Luke’s hand and stands up “You must be exhausted.”

With a nod he stands up and lets her guide him towards the spiral stairs.

Both ignoring me. If I could growl right now, I would. Gritting my teeth, I quickly follow after them. The only thing I appericiate about being here is that they healed my ankle.

Apparently, Rebecca is the leader of the witch coven that lives in this part of the forest and they’re paid by the Alpha Supreme to help in making the Hunt all the more bloody. Isn’t he a kind guy?

We reach a brightly lit hallway on the second floor. The witches and warlocks give way as Rebecca passes through. It’s the sort of respect Lycanthropes give to their Alphas.

Why the hell are all the leaders so shitty?

She stops by a room at the far left.

“I hope you’ll be comfortable.” Rebecca bats her dark lashes at Luke “If you want anything, my room is just to the right.”

“I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.” Luke winks

Luke Winters just winked at her. No, that’s just crazy, impossible! Maybe there was something in his eye?

Then why is he bloody smirking?

I clear my throat loudly, causing the two love birds to finally acknowledge my existence. I cross my arms, shifting my weight on one foot.

“And where is my room?” I raise an eyebrow

“Oh,” Rebecca looks taken aback “I’m sorry, but the other guest rooms are being repainted. Maybe we can adjust you somewhere in the lounge?”

“Don’t worry yourself on her behalf,” Luke says “She can share a room with me.”

Rebecca suddenly realizes she has made a mistake and quickly tries to make amends.

“Now that I think of it,” she says as though trying to remember “Maybe we do have a room on the third floor. Come on…”

She trails off and stares at me, I offer her a sarcastic smile “Elise.”

She nods before she gestures me to follow. My eyes meet Luke’s once, waiting for some sort of explanation but all he says is;

“Stay alert.” Before he disappears in his room

I stay rooted to my spot as the door closes, feeling a little twist in my heart.

That’s it? No explanation, no apology? Shaking my head, I try to swallow the lump in my throat and turn to jog after Rebecca who’s already at the next stair case.

We walk silence and soon enough we reach the third floor but Rebecca doesn’t stop there and turns to the next staircase. Furrowing my brows in confusion, I follow behind. We stop when the stairs end at a door in the roof. Rebecca opens it and climbs inside.

When I peek my head up, I realize where we are. The attic.

“Hmm, you could adjust here.” Rebecca says “I’ll tell someone to put a mattress here.”

I stare at her, fighting the urge to bash her head against the wall. Cool it Elise, this woman is incharge here. Just breathe.

So I try my best to smile even though I know it’ll probably only be a grimace as I say;

“Thank you.”

“Always welcome to help those less blessed than me,” She tosses her mane of black hair over her shoulders

She walks past me and starts climbing down when something hits my head.

“Wait!” She looks over her shoulder, almost bored “What about the bathroom?”

“The third floor is for the servants, any one would be glad to let you borrow.” She walks away

B. r. e. a. t. h. e.

“Why are you getting so worked up?” I mumble to myself, rubbing my temple “You’ve endured worst. Stop being such a brat.”

Though my sour mood doesn’t subside much, I try to focus on the bright side as I push away all the stuff in the attic towards a corner.

The big circular window on the east looks over the whole forest from such height, it looks tiny. My head doesn’t bump against the roof despite to its slant due to my short frame.

I find a broom and quickly dust off the floor when someone knocks on the door on the floor.

I open it to come face to face with a boy about my age. His big violet eyes stare at me, curiosity obvious on his features.

“Yes?” I inquire

“Are you Elise?” he blinks animatedly

My lips tug upward “That’s me.”

“Ms. Everette asked to drop off a mattress here for you.” he says

The only problem we face, it that the door is too small for the mattress. So we do the obvious.

“A little more,” I wheez out, throwing my whole weight trying to squeeze the mattress

The boy, Filipe, squeezes it from his side and gives it a shove upward. I fall on my behind from the impact of it flipping to its original shape as it pops up.

“We did it!” I grin, breathing heavily

“Thank Merlin,” Filipe comes up and lays flat on his back, an arm over his eyes

“Why cant you use magic in here again?” I ask

“Ms. Everette has forbidden it unless necessary.” He says, sitting up

His violet eyes roam the attic before meeting my gaze, he smiles, a surprisingly charming dimple in his left cheek.

“You cleaned up nice.” Filipe says

“Nothing an omega couldn’t pull off,” I get up and dust my clothes, I nod towards the mattress “Help me put in in place?”

Filipe gets up as well “Of course.”

He helps me lay it near the window. I observe the tainted glass, mindlessly brushing my fingers on it when I feel someone’s gaze on me. I look back and catch Filipe’s stare. His cheeks turn pink.

“I didn’t mean to stare,” he holds up his hands in universal surrender “Its just, I’ve never met a werewolf who wasn’t, you know, dead or trying to kill us.”

I shrug with a small smile “That’s fine. I’ve never met a warlock before either.”

“So,” Filipe rocks on the heels of his feet “You want to look around and maybe answer a few questions I have?”

“Why the hell not?” I grin brightly

We spend the next two hours going around the coven mansion and the area around it.

First we stay at the mansion as I answer all of Filipe’s quires wholeheartedly, laughing at how ridiculous most were.

“Do you hate vegetarians?”

“Do werewolves shed hair in wolf form?”

“Do you hear a voice in your head?”

“Do mated werewolves make out all the time?”

“Do you die single if you don’t find your mate?”

After sating his curiosity, we go out of the mansion. There were a few houses here and there, meant to accommodate some of the more powerful witches or warlocks. 

I observe the place keenly, keeping in mind every detail Filipe tells me when I spot a small warehouse type building beside the meeting hall we were kept in.

“What’s in there?” I ask

“Mostly random stuff,” Filipe shrugs “Some stuff from the other competitors we captured.”

“Others?” my throat goes dry

Filipe shifts uncomfortable on his feet “Look Elise, nothing personal. Its just how this thing goes.”

I shake my head “It’s fine. I think your leader wont hurt us.”

“Tell you what,” Filipe looks sideways as if making sure no one’s near, then he leans forward to whisper “Ms. Everette is a little werewolf crazy.”

“What do you mean?” I furrow my brows

“She adores how loyal and possessive they are towards loved ones.” Filipe shakes his head like a disappointed doctor

“Then why didn’t she keep alive the werewolves she caught before us?” I ask

“They weren’t too good looking,” Filipe says “Besides, your partner is quite the charmer.”

I actually want to snort. Charming? Please.  

When we go back inside, I see the ‘charming’ Luke still charming Rebecca. I narrow my eyes at them, laughing and smiling in the lounge like they have nothing better to do. I turn my face away and make my way toward the kitchens. Goddess, I’m famished.

In the kitchen I see a woman humming to herself, waving a wad with a bright ruby at the base. Things float in the air. I stare open mouthed as a whisk mixes something in a bowl, a frying pan sizzles something that smells mouthwatering, the diches arrange on a trolley.

As if sensing my presence, the woman looks over her shoulder, her bright amber eyes settle on me. She lowers her wand and everything settles down gently, she smiles.

“Hello, dear,” she says “Do you need something?”

I find myself returning her smile “Just wondering if I can get something to eat.”

“Of course, come in,” she ushers me inside “What would you like?”

“Anything really,” I exhale a laugh

She walks towards the fridge and fishes through it while I seat myself on the kitchen island. The plump woman with amber eyes hands me a tub of ice cream.

I look at it like it’s a gorgeous male model.

“Thank you!” I say as I take the tub of half full mint and chocolate chip ice cream

“No need,” the woman gives me a spoon “Its rare to find anyone in the kitchen but myself.”

“I’m Elise, by the way.” I smile at her

“Nice to meet you,” she says as she waves her wand again, I notice tiny thread of sliver slip out of it, holding everything up and making them move “My name is Martha, head of the kitchen department.”

“Is there anything I can help with?” I ask, swallowing a mouthful of icecream

“I can handle it,” Martha says with a chuckle

As I watch her work, I cant help the wave of homesickness that crashes over me. Sitting on the kitchen island as Mom and Morgan made food since I’d always end up breaking something.

I suddenly feel less hungry.

I hear someone laughing, I look up at Rebecca as she enters, Luke following behind her.

“Martha, is everything ready?” She asks, underlying authority in her voice

“Everything is ready, My Lady,” Martha says, looking at the food trolley for any sign of imperfection

“Good,” Rebecca says “Luke and I will have dinner in my room.”

“Very well, My Lady,” Martha bows her head in a nod

I feel my grip on the ice cream tub tighten, my eyes narrow as Luke doesn’t spare me a glance before leaving with her.

A familiar ache in my chest makes me curse under my breath.

Why am I feeling so, so… rejected? Its not like Luke, or any other guy for that matter, ever paid special attention to me other than when they want something.

I know not to expect anyone to be kind or good to me for no motive but somehow, for some moonforsaken reason, this hurts.

“You like him.”

My eyes snap towards Martha. She’s giving me a knowing smile, her eyes crinkled. I feel blood rush to my face.

“Werewolves have soul mates,” I mumble “We’re not supposed to like others.”   

“Werewolves have hearts too, don’t they?”

“I don’t like Luke.” I shake my head “I’m just worried about getting out of here.”

Martha offers me a small shrug “As you say dear, but my eyes see something else.”

She takes the trolley out, leaving me alone in the kitchen with my pestering thoughts.

I look hard at the ice-cream tub in my hands.

I do not like anyone. Specially not Luke Winters.

Please comment and vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro