064:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

*****064:

I entered the dark room. There were curtains--- floor to ceiling curtains, heavy dark red curtains like you'd expect in Dracula's house. I went to them first, skirting the desks, the chairs and the sofa arrangements. The walls were lined with book shelves and paintings, an alcove led to another room. I was prepared.

Where was the Goya?

"Anyway, I can tell you're busy, so I'll say goodbye, for now, babe. Have a fun afternoon. I'll be thinking of you." Aubrey's voice was too cool, too knowing, too something....

I gulped. "I love you, Aubrey, just know that okay? I love you."

"I love you too, sweetie." She said and clicked off. Literally, quickly, she clicked off and I was left knowing that my fate was sealed.

Make the best of it then. Find the damn necklace.

I looked around. The outer room had nothing. Books, paintings---- I started racing from one to the next and found not one but two covered safes, but neither of them were Goyas and neither of them had anything to do with a chicken.

I hit the inner sanctum.

This room was not dark, but had an open arched balcony, it was easily the most welcoming and comfortable room I'd seen. He spent time here, or they did, father and son, running their empire. On the floor was a wicker basket with toys, yes toys. I dove for them. Was there a stuffed chicken? There had to be.

There wasn't.

I knelt there looking around, perched like a hen. Had I mistook the image? Was it really a hawk? Had Felicity said he'd called her a flamingo?

I saw a stuffed flamingo on the floor under the desk.

They'd played here, I thought wildly, glanced at my watch. I had fifteen minutes. Come on. Come on.

If not the toys, then what?

I examined the paintings. They were nice—unfamiliar. Not Goya's. I'd made sure to get a good look at all the Goya's on the internet on the way down here.

I went to the most used chair and sat in it. It was leather, heavy, comfortable, and I closed my eyes. Feel it, Rafe, when he sat here, what was Gomez thinking?

He loved his little girl, he wanted the best for her.

He'd given her a sweet charm necklace, one he'd have access to all the time. All the time.

Meaning it likely never left this room. I felt along the armrests, the leather ended in wood, the underside of the wood was chipped. I opened my eyes. The left arm rest was chipped.

It felt bizarre, out of place. It hadn't been fixed. I stopped looking, feeling watched, and simply felt.

And it felt enough like an opening to be one. I let my body relax, and breathed in and out slowly, carefully.

I knew without a doubt I was being watched.

My fingers played with the wood, feeling for leverage, a button, a clasp, something to open it. Yes. Yes. It was here, move it up and over and yes---- it opened. I barely moved it.

I didn't even look.

Inside, I fingered the tiny charms. Oh gads, it was as real as the fake in my other hand.

I swallowed hard. I had to find a way to switch them, and not be seen by someone who was staring right at me. Staring me down, expecting this, waiting for it, waiting for me to find what I so blatantly had said I'd found.

There was no chain. Just a couple of charms. What?

I was confused. I opened my eyes, and as I did my gaze lit on the fireplace in the corner of the room, and on that fireplace hearth, a large, and very beautiful ceramic chicken--- and above the chicken--- I could barely breathe now---above the chicken a carving. I'd seen an etching of that carving today. I'd seen the chicken too.

Both were by Goya.

Both were not well known, very valuable and very real. Sculpture and carving. The carving was very small, and close to the chicken. They were a pair and they obviously went together.

What were the charms then?

What was the special hiding place in the chair?

I was being watched. I knew I was.

My thumbs softly made the required text. I pocketed the phone and the charms at the same time, hopefully unseen. I got up slowly, went to the fireplace, examined the upper shelf above it holding several other ceramic entities, all very expensive. And as I blocked the view from the door, I leaned over, and slipped the necklace off the head of the chicken without a sound, and slipped the fake back on it. In two seconds flat, I pulled the front of the carving revealing the smaller safe, fumbled with the charms and shoved the first chicken I came to into the slot on the front of the safe, while using the keypad to write the word Pollito.

Nothing happened.

I heard the click as the charm did its magic.

Pollito. Felicity pollito. Felicity. Chicken. Chicken pollito. Felicity chicken.

Pollita.

It clicked open. Oh. Yes.

I pulled the lever. It freaking opened.

I started to put my hand inside and heard the click of a gun.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro