069:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

*****069:

Ben chose wisely not to join us this time in the temple. It may have been a hard decision for him to step back, Rafe was his best friend and they did almost everything together. But it was better this way. I told Rafe I wanted a minute alone on temple grounds and for him to walk ahead of me up to the fountain and I'd meet him. This had happened before--- and I'd prayed silently and alone before entering the House of the Lord.

I told myself I would do that as well, but now I stood next to a very gnarled old olive tree and whipped out my phone. Lane picked up on the first ring.

"Whoa, to what do I owe this honor, baby angel?" His voice was so comforting.

"I need Laker's tickets for tonight."

"Laker's tickets for tonight coming right up. How many doth thou require?"

"Eight?" I squeaked.

"Eight Laker's tickets for tonight at the Staples center, at seven o'clock, done."

"Oh Lane, you're a godsend. Thank you so much." I breathed, thinking that Rafe would be pleased. And distracted.

"Is there anything else I can do for you, Doctor Stryker?"

"No, we're heading in to the temple in a minute. I just had this brilliant thought and needed to follow up on it."

"Is it somebodies birthday?"

"No--- just--- we need the distraction."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes, we just had a little glitch in the road, and we need ---."

"Say no more. I know your life as well as you do." His voice smiled. "They'll be waiting for you at my office."

"Thanks again, Lane, love you."

This is what brothers are for. Especially brothers who work for the Staples center—well, he doesn't exactly work there, he has an office there. He works for AEG--- Anschutz Entertainment Group as the Executive Vice President of marketing and international direct business operations. Whew, that's a mouth full.

AEG owns the Staples Center. There are perks.

We walked the temple grounds at four, hungry, but satiated with the spirit. We held hands and strolled. We'd talked in the celestial room--- reaffirmed our unity and love, smiled and kissed and felt relief.

Now, enjoying the late afternoon heat, and the glare off the blinding white marble walls behind us, we found shade near the bottom of the giant lawn.

We simply sat there and held hands, close, really close.

"Aubrey, are you happy?"

"You mean overall?" I always took his direct questions seriously, but knew at the same time, he was leading into something else. Maybe his own feelings of happiness.

He nodded, turned his head sideways to look at me. I smiled.

"I am living the dream, baby. I'm very happy with you."

"You don't have to say that."

"I know."

"So much has changed, so much has happened. It's too much for me, really. I feel overwhelmed. I feel burdened--- happy. I am always happy, I am always having the time of my life, and I am a positive person, naturally."

"You feel overwhelmed?"

"I do. But you know, people have been so supportive. Look at Ben today. He just responds so perfectly, so easily. He's really there for us. I am glad you called him."

"Really? I'm kind of sorry I ran away."

He shook his head. "You tend to run. Right from the first. It took me awhile to get that, but you always come back."

I hung my head. "I will try not to do it anymore."

"It's part of you. You need space, and you will be getting precious little of it. I need it too. With you. When I built our schedule, and tried to plan for and fit too much into it, I forgot about building in space."

"Are you getting ready to ask me out on a date? Or do you want to tell me you need your space?"

He grinned. "I don't need space from you. I need space with you."

"So, you're asking me out on a date?"

"I might be. Would you go on a date with me?"

"Maybe, I mean, if you were planning on taking the kids and the nanny and her boyfriend."

His eyes clouded. I knew the feeling of dismay. He was wondering if I seriously thought of a date that way. Or if I was having him on.

"I ah----."

"And if your date was planned for seven o'clock, in jerseys at the Staples Center, tonight."

His eyes widened, and he jumped up, glancing at his watch. "Are you kidding?"

I grinned back. "I'm not. Lane got us eight tickets."

"Hot diggety dog!" He grabbed my hand. "That is my kind of date."

"I thought supply closets might be your thing, so I----!"

He grabbed me off my feet and swung me around, and then-- thinking better of just swinging me, he scooped me up and twirled me. He buried his nose in my neck and then his lips unerringly found mine. His kiss was soft, smooth, and very intimate--- telling me in every way possible that I was the woman he loved, and always would. By taking me here, to this beautiful temple where families are sealed forever--- and treating me with such respect, I knew that no matter what, I was his and he was mine. Nothing would get in the way of that.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro