066:

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

This time Ben was the only one who came with. I'd known he would come. He was intrigued by Aubrey and wanted to see why I'd given her the ring. THE ring mind you, that I'd carried around for almost twenty years--- through loads of gorgeous girls and one night stands, and about as many three month stands as well. To give it to a girl I'd known for little over six days was unprecedented.

Aubrey had her GPS out and was directing us to the Museum we wanted to see. On tour, we generally paid for our own excursions if there were any. We paid for our own meals out if we strayed from whatever was planned, and anything else there was to pay for, including museum entrance fees. Aubrey mentioned that her mother had told her this was an unspoken policy on tour, and she should pay for herself to enter the museum, especially since it was her idea.

"What did I tell you in the beginning, Aubrey? On our first date, remember?"

"But Rafe---"

I held her hand as we got out of the van and made our way--- the four of us--- to the museum entrance. "It's all good, muchacha."

Aubrey rolled her eyes. "No me importa para remunerado."

"Pero la mayoria es voluntario." I shot back at her and she rolled her eyes again.

"Two can play at that game, mi amour."

She laughed and swung my hand. "Fine. You pay. But there might come a time I want to spend my own money, and I promise you I will do whatever I want."

Ben was engrossed instantly with the museum. It wasn't something we'd ever done before, going to a museum, but lately it seemed he was more interested in learning stuff, and he wanted to spend the time here learning. I was impressed with his new desires. But I was really there only for my girl. Everything about her was fascinating to me. I loved.... Loved watching her discover things, loved being with her while we both discovered.

We watched video displays of early settlements in Baja California. We read the information and looked at the pictures, saw mounted heads of animals, and preserved plants in glass. There was an IMAX theater after the ancient artifacts section, so we went in and watched about the Peninsula ocean studies.

Ben then led the way to art rooms, displays of great beauty and culture. This was more to my liking than history which seemed to fascinate Ben and Aubrey. My best moments were holding her hand, touching her hair, leaning into her, whispering little anecdotes, observations. Aubrey for her part, alternately hooked her fingers in my belt loops and ran her hands absently over my back and waist. She was completely free with her own scrutiny. I was convinced she knew more about Baja California than the curator.

The music area was also engrossing, we all listened at little head sets, interactive overviews of culture. I got lost inside this appealing interlude and Aubrey came up behind me, putting her arms around me, she laid her head against my back. Ben watched from beside me, curious about this girl, who seemed less pretentious and more real than other girls I'd had. It was obvious to everybody. And all eyes were on me.

Outside there was a craft show, and Aubrey was all over that--- looking for new and different décor. She admired everything, spoke about it fairly knowledgeably, and Ben bought  some small pottery bowls. Aubrey allowed me to buy her some earrings, and a bracelet to commemorate, and she bought me a bracelet to add to my collection. All this was done with serious reflection and a lot of joking.

There was a tour bus leaving for the El Popo market and the Catedral de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe, we all immediately thought it was best to see the Catedral, and hopped aboard. But it was while we were on our way there that Aubrey froze---her breath seemed to come in a short gasp, and she kept her eyes on another building as we passed. Then she got up and went to the bus driver, asking about the building, I am sure.

I didn't ask her what she'd said to the bus driver as we debarked and went inside the ancient and beautiful Cathedral. Ben was very into it, but Aubrey was completely distracted and although she was respectful of the old relics she was obviously-- at least to me-- into something else.

"What is it?" I finally asked her, noticing that Jim was having to herd off some American tourists who had spotted us.

"Nothing." She said quietly and took a water bottle out of her side pouch purse.

"It's something." I said and rubbed her shoulder blades, feeling the tension. I had the horrible thought that she might have changed her mind about coming with or something equally hideous. Although why I would think that I had no idea.

"There's some place else I'd like to go, but I don't think there's time, unless I miss the concert and I don't want to do that."

I looked at my watch. "There's lots of time. We don't have to stay here."

"I also don't think it's a place either of you would care to go."

"What is it?"

She shrugged. "A temple."

Ben came up right then. "A Mormon Temple?"

Aubrey nodded. I could see she was reluctant to even speak of it, probably thinking we'd reject her, or think her too religiously pushy or something. But Ben was instantly enthusiastic.

"Where is it? Let's go." The tour bus left every fifteen minutes, we reached it quickly and were able to board. We got back to the Cultural Museum and got directions to the Temple from a receptionist who actually was Mormon. He beamed at us as we left, and Ben said he felt all warm and gushy inside.

The Temple wasn't far.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro