150: Rafe

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

150: Rafe

I woke with a start when the van pulled to a jerking stop at our hotel front doors. Everybody but Aubrey groggily came to. I looked down at her head in my lap. We'd taken up the entire back seat of the ten person van, and Aubrey was not buckled in. Her arms were squished against me, and dangling probably without circulation. Her cheek was creased from my sweats. Her pony tail was pulled at an odd angle.

The van door was opened, and fresh air permeated. Aubrey stirred. The door opener was none other than Richard Mann. I suddenly remembered Aubrey saying that her dad would have wanted to come with us on the hike. I looked at my watch and tapped Aubrey's hip. It was late. I had to get over to the venue. I saw Tracy and Kell behind Richard, followed by America Rolvsson. I sighed, and did a better job of rousing my lady fair.

I moved my leg and without opening her eyes, she wiped the drool and sleep and sat up blearily, having been really out. Richard reached for her when the other guys had stumbled out.

"Hi Daddy." She mumbled, falling into his arms, and whatever he'd been about to say was stifled when the baby girl acted her part.

My leg was asleep. I stretched and winced, feeling the obnoxious tingle.

"Aubrey Elizabeth. Why do you think your mother and I came down here?"

"For your health?" She wiped her hand over her eyes. She was really bleary. I could see that America thought she was high. She gave me a sly wink.

I took her arm and curled her into my embrace. "She crashed pretty hard on the way back. I think we are all exhausted."

Richard slammed the van door. "That was what this morning was for. Sleeping in."

"Maybe for you, Dad, but we never sleep in." Aubrey shook herself, seeing the models all lined up to catch their taxi.

"If you're here, Rafe---." Camilla called with a wicked gleam. "Then who is playing the Foro Sol tonight?"

"The Angels." I shot back at her, hoping to silence her remarks. I saw Aubrey straighten up, but it was too late to prevent them seeing her looking like the urchin she was.

"That can be arranged, lover." Camilla called.

I bit my lips, hoping Aubrey hadn't heard that last word, but she had. She gave Camilla one good long look and then moved to my side more closely, holding hands.

"Hey, baby girl, will you come down and talk to me later? Preferably before the concert. Are you going to the concert?" This was Tracy, looking lovely, fresh and sweet.

We all made it past her, looking scruffy and bedraggled. Half asleep was more like it, and now harried with the event waiting at our feet. I saw Allen smiling ahead of us. I waved him over.

"I'm going to the concert, but I can come and talk to you. I just need a shower." Aubrey said more awake. I had my hand on her sweaty back when Richard stepped up.

"You two. There are security measures you need to become more familiar with." He reminded with a stern expression.

I shrugged. "It didn't turn out bad. Kind of like getting back on the band wagon. You just have to do it, and get through it. Sorry we didn't ask you though, you would have liked it."

"I've hiked it before." Richard said in exasperation at the same time as Aubrey informed me that he had hiked it before.

I tried to look impressed, I really was, but I didn't like him trying the little kid guilt trip on us, nor was I in the mood for talking. I was really tired. I needed caffeine.

"Aubrey, come to my room." Tracy encouraged, and I squeezed her hand, as if to let her go. I understood the call of mother.

"It'll have to be after the show." Aubrey said, hanging onto my hand, and turning to make sure the models were listening to every word. "Rafe and I have a thing about showering together."

I saw Ben out of the corner of my eye, his brows rose, and he turned his lips under, trying not to smile. I also saw Camilla catch those words, and to my surprise she had a true expression of regret and consternation. It let me know she'd been very aware that I was at this hotel, and had deliberately and intentionally put me on her menu. I swallowed hard, recalling those days, in a rush. Hot sex. The kind of fast action and deep exciting passion I did not want to experience anymore. It left a guy blistering angry and anxious all the time. The whole atmosphere would be teaming with it--- all the time--- with every person who you came in contact with. Everyone looked at everyone as a potential partner, or two, or three, or ---- I couldn't entertain those thoughts. They didn't include my love, and my love was claiming me--- again.

And then my eyes met Richard's.

Aubrey turned, satisfied with her ploy, until she too saw her dad's angry face. She caught it instantly and lifted my hand. "Don't worry, Dad." She said softly. "It's like a swimming thing. We stay dressed."

I felt like the kid I had been acting like as Jeremy burst out laughing, obviously remembering the first couple of green room showers in locker rooms with shower curtains, and me not convinced Aubrey was off limits pre-marriage.

But Tracy stepped up. "Okay, darling." She turned Richard away. "We'll talk after the show. Why don't you two come up to our room when you get back?"

"Are you not coming?"

Tracy glanced at the retreating models as they got into their taxis. "No, I think you can handle this yourself."

Aubrey glared at the taxis, gasping and then ushering me toward the elevator. "Okay, Mom."

I turned to see what she had gasped about and she pushed the button to go up.

"You're pretty used to your parents being around. You hardly pay the kind of attention I am required to pay mine when I haven't seen them for awhile." Ben said as we boarded together.

"You don't know my parents. They are never more than a few hours away, and they show up periodically, as if they were part of an ongoing conversation. I get parent fixes on a daily basis sometimes. That's probably more excessive than you would be interested in." Aubrey was still agitated, but she hadn't given me any reason for her gasp--- no look, no wink, no tell ya later cue.

I thought I'd better address it now. "What'd Camilla do?"

"It wasn't Camilla."

"America?"

"She flipped me off." Aubrey stared straight ahead, and I closed my eyes.

"Sorry."
"Why are you sorry?"

"Just--- you don't need that."

"I don't care anymore. She caught me off guard this morning, I wasn't expecting it, and I handled it bad. But I don't care, Rafe. Everybody has an old flame or two. We are bound to run into them throughout our life. They are just old flames, nothing more."

"You're secure with me?" We got off and the guys preceded us out of the elevator and hurried to their own rooms.

"Yeah." Aubrey leaned into me and I brought out the key to our room oblivious to my band members until Jeremy stopped and looked hard at us.

"So---- do you mind me asking?"

Rafe blinked in disapproval at the disruption. "What?"

"The shower thing? You guys still shower together?"

I grunted and Aubrey laughed. She gave this totally coquettish grin and took me by the lapels to pull me into our room and kick the door shut.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro